gilles

Default Handyman Club of America

I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Thanks in advance
Gil

JMWEBER987

Sounds like desperation to me. If they go out of business (and magazines do all
the time) you may rest assured you will NOT receive a refund.
Mike in Arkansas who is somewhat cynical.
John Moorhead

Gil -

Well, that's it then... We'll *HAVE* to kill you now that you've spilled the
beans. If you think that a LIFETIME membership in HCA is worth 530 clams,
then by ALL means. I mean, HCA is no "Skull and Bones society" but hey...
S&B members have to remain content with ruling the world WITHOUT those handy
li'l sanding sponges and plastic drill gauge checkers. Pity.

Tell you what I'm going to do - You can be the Exhaulted High Wamoo in HCA,
through ME (I am HCA's SUPREME OVERSEER, but as part of HCA's rituals, they
MUST deny this information to you) and I am the ONLY one that can confer
that title of ultimate prestige. Better yet, I can do it for only 400 bucks
AND it comes with a TWELVE PAK of Sanding Sponges (YOUR CHOICE OF GRIT SIZE,
subjet to availability)

I await.

John Moorhead
(aka The-Powers-That-Be)

"gilles" wrote in message
I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Thanks in advance
Gil

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:45:20 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

I mean, HCA is no "Skull and Bones society" but hey...
S&B members have to remain content with ruling the world WITHOUT those handy
li'l sanding sponges and plastic drill gauge checkers. Pity.

That's what you think. I bet both Bush and Kerry got freebie
Miller's Falls Patent Plows in bronze when they joined Skull and
Bones.

Elwood P. Suggins III

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
om...
They give away a great free glue spreader.

Whats her name?

Vic
"gilles" wrote in message
I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Thanks in advance
Gil

Tom Watson

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:11:31 -0500, gilles
wrote:

I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Thanks in advance
Gil

"The new telephone book's here ! ..."

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Joe Gorman

"gilles" wrote in message

I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Thanks in advance
Gil

I've got one "Made in USA"
Wonder if they've got a town of that name in China?
Joe
Leon

"gilles" wrote in message
I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

You may very well be the only subscriber.. LOL I have heard of no one
that has subscribed. I would hold on to my money. Life time may be "their"
life time.

Jim Wilson

Gil wrote...
I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Opinions _both_ ways? That will take awhile. (G)

Jim

Badger

John Moorhead wrote:

Gil -

Well, that's it then... We'll *HAVE* to kill you now that you've spilled the
beans. If you think that a LIFETIME membership in HCA is worth 530 clams,
then by ALL means. I mean, HCA is no "Skull and Bones society" but hey...
S&B members have to remain content with ruling the world WITHOUT those handy
li'l sanding sponges and plastic drill gauge checkers. Pity.

S&B?
enlightenment required
mp

I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Straight and gay/lesbian?

John Moorhead

Badger -

S&B... from the preceding sentence... "Skull & Bones"...

John

Joe_Stein

Hi Gil,
I'm a member too. I get those Life membership offers too. I got one
today, too much money. I just shread the check and the rest goes in the
trash. I kept the carpenter's pencil...that's about 6 of those now. I
got 3 drill index. I never did get a glue spreader.
Save your money.
Joe

gilles wrote:
I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Thanks in advance
Gil

patriarch

"John Moorhead" wrote in
. com:

Badger -

S&B... from the preceding sentence... "Skull & Bones"...

John

Google that, adding "Yale", for more info.

Patriarch

Frank Ketchum

"gilles" wrote in message
I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

They are not worth the money for sure. All you will get is some worthless
crap and your name will be sold to every flim flam business in the world. I
suppose it is one way to make new friends. Now instead, you can join this
newsgroup for only $520 and have access to some of the best woodworking tips
around. I am the treasurer so send it to me directly. Checks are fine.
(hurry, the rate goes up Jan 1)

Frank

Phisherman

wrote:

I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Thanks in advance
Gil

You are very lucky. I got no offer to a lifetime membership.
Handyman Club of America sent me a plastic drill guide, sponge sander,
and a plastic membership card that quickly expired (I used it to
spread glue).
tzipple

They have great patches. And the free labels for the circuit breakers
are the best!

Seriously, it is a lot for what you get, I think. My brother in law
joined... but he also thought that being an Asst. Manager at a Radio
Shack was a good gig initially.

gilles wrote:
I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Thanks in advance
Gil

Dave in Fairfax

"patriarch " wrote:
Google that, adding "Yale", for more info.

Then, just for fun, look up Wiffenpoof and get falafel at
Mamoun's. Or find a date up the street at SCSU.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:43:14 GMT, Joe_Stein wrote:

Hi Gil,
I'm a member too. I get those Life membership offers too. I got one
today, too much money. I just shread the check and the rest goes in the
trash. I kept the carpenter's pencil...that's about 6 of those now. I
got 3 drill index. I never did get a glue spreader.

Sounds like you got three of them.

Mike Patterson

wrote:

I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Thanks in advance
Gil

For hours (ok, maybe minutes) of amusing reading google this group
with the words "Handyman Club of America"...

....and spend the $530 on some nice tools.

HTH

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Charlie Self

Mike Patterson responds:

I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Thanks in advance
Gil

For hours (ok, maybe minutes) of amusing reading google this group
with the words "Handyman Club of America"...

...and spend the $530 on some nice tools.

Long years ago, Playboy offered lifetime memberships. IIRC, Janet Pilgrim (an
early Playmate of the Month) would deliver the signed contract/warrant. I
sometimes (actually, this is th3e first time) wonder how many takers they got
and if they subscriptions are still good. Memory says that was in the middle or
late '50s, but doesn't bring up a price, though I do recall thinking there was
NO way on a USMC PFC's pay.

Charlie Self
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
nothing."
Redd Foxx
Ba r r y

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:10:08 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

"patriarch " wrote:
Google that, adding "Yale", for more info.

Then, just for fun, look up Wiffenpoof and get falafel at
Mamoun's. Or find a date up the street at SCSU.

Mammon's also has a location within walking distance from my office.
GREAT Shish-kebab!

While we're taking Yale, don't forget the William Morris exhibit at
the British Museum that runs until 1/2/05.

Barry
Joe Gorman

Charlie Self wrote:
Mike Patterson responds:

[...]

these were still available in the lat 60's, early 70's. The
$100 they wanted was way out of my reach then. If I had joined I
could be selling the 20+ years worth for the $1 a copy they seem
to get at the flea Market and recoup the investment.
Not to mention "reading the articles" every month.
Joe
Edwin Pawlowski

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Long years ago, Playboy offered lifetime memberships. IIRC, Janet Pilgrim
(an
early Playmate of the Month) would deliver the signed contract/warrant. I
sometimes (actually, this is th3e first time) wonder how many takers they
got
and if they subscriptions are still good.

If she still looks as good as back then, I'll sign up today.

http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/play...volume%201.htm

Dave in Fairfax

Ba r r y wrote:
Mammon's also has a location within walking distance from my office.
GREAT Shish-kebab!

While we're taking Yale, don't forget the William Morris exhibit at
the British Museum that runs until 1/2/05.

Thanks for the spellcheck, it's been almost 20 years since I was
in there, and yes, their shish-kebob was great. I'm down in VA
now so I'll pass on the exhibit.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Ba r r y

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:29:28 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

Thanks for the spellcheck, it's been almost 20 years since I was
in there, and yes, their shish-kebob was great. I'm down in VA
now so I'll pass on the exhibit.

Dave in Fairfax

Actually, your spelling was better than mine. G

http://www.mamounsfalafel.com/

Barry
Silvan

gilles wrote:

I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Hee. Join up for $530 and you get a nifty faux leather Handy Man Club of
America Charter Member jacket, so everybody who sees you will laugh into
their hands and snicker behind your back.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Phisherman wrote:

You are very lucky. I got no offer to a lifetime membership.
Handyman Club of America sent me a plastic drill guide, sponge sander,
and a plastic membership card that quickly expired (I used it to
spread glue).

I got ripped. No drill guide.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Eric Tonks

I have received two mailings, giving me a total of 2 drill gauges, 2 screw
gauges, and one set of circuit breaker labels. I need more circuit breaker
labels because they seem to think that my kitchen has only one circuit
breaker, where I really need about 6 labels to complete the job.

gilles wrote:
I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.
Has any of you joined this with any benefit, or is this a gimmick not
really worth the trouble. I would like to hear opinions both ways.

Thanks in advance
Gil

mp

I have received two mailings, giving me a total of 2 drill gauges, 2 screw
gauges, and one set of circuit breaker labels. I need more circuit breaker
labels because they seem to think that my kitchen has only one circuit
breaker, where I really need about 6 labels to complete the job.

I've also received some mailings from them. Does anyone from whom they
sourced their mailing list?

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Eric Tonks etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote:
I have received two mailings, giving me a total of 2 drill gauges, 2 screw
gauges, and one set of circuit breaker labels. I need more circuit breaker
labels because they seem to think that my kitchen has only one circuit
breaker, where I really need about 6 labels to complete the job.

*snort*
I've got 6 (2 duplex outlets/breaker) breakers just for the over-counter
outlets. Seemed about right, given that I've got 19(!) assorted 'counter
top appliances'.

PLUS the stove, refrigerator, a separate freezer, dishwasher, and the lights.

RKP51X

I get their mag, but now they're offering me a Life membership!!!
For the meagre sum of $530... less a couple of rebates.

Handyman Club reminds me of Popiels Pocket Fisherman. A lousey fishing rod, but
a great gift. I think most HCA subcriptions are stocking stuffers for the
Granpa or Uncle who has a shop full of stuff and nobody knows what he really
wants for Christmas. I think I could stretch $530 worth of wood working a lot
father than a lifetime HCA subscription. I could refill my sandpaper shelf,
replace some router bits and still have $400 left. I'll have to be careful with
the rest of the money.
Roger Poplin dba
Dave in Fairfax

Ba r r y wrote:
Actually, your spelling was better than mine. G
http://www.mamounsfalafel.com/

Sheer luck, but thanks for the URL. That's a fun walk down memory
lane. I had no idea that there other locations.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
George G

I think it's a great deal!
GO FOR IT ! ! !

Doug Miller

In article , "mp" wrote:

I've also received some mailings from them. Does anyone from whom they
sourced their mailing list?

Might be just coincidence, but I received my first-ever mailing from them just
a few weeks after subscribing to Wood, and another one just a few weeks after
subscribing to American Woodworker.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
rahmike

I am a life member and have been since the late 70's. Over the years I
have picked up some tricks of the trades and time saving practices
from the magazine, (it has shrunk in size since my first one). I have
also purchased some of the tools they sponsor. When I went life member
the cost was considerably less than you are reporting now and I got a
leather bomber jacket, great jacket, included in the life member
price. I have been included in some of the product trials, some great
and some I could have put my time to better use. All in all I
benifited by participating in the club. I am now disabled, lung
cancer, but still enjoy seeing the new toys that are being invented,
and keeping abreast of what is going on in the field through the
magazine. I feel I got my money's worth so you have to decide what
value you can get from being a member and where your intrests lie.

Good Luck,
Mike