nemofish

Default Finish for oak kitchen doors

Hi All

can anyone recommend a finish suitable for solid oak kitchen doors?
Ideally I'd like a finish that is easy to apply and I was considering
using a wax finish but am a little worried about how this would fare in a
kitchen environment. Does anyone have any experience of this or any
advice to offer?

Many thanks.
Mat.
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:18:11 -0000, nemofish wrote:

can anyone recommend a finish suitable for solid oak kitchen doors?

How much wear are you expecting ?

If it were mine, I'd probably use shellac over oil. This is an
attractive finish with a moderate gloss, but not as fussy as highly
polished shellac polishes. Every few years you can also strip it back
a little and re-finish it, with fairly little effort.

If it's a high traffic kitchen, you'd probably want a film-forming
varnish, and that varnish would have some polyurethane content. Use a
gel poly and it won;t look so obviously "poly'ed", but it will have
good wear resistance.
--
Smert' spamionam
loutent

Hi MAt,

I just refinished our oak kitchen cabinets about 6 months ago.
I used Minwax wipe-on poly - 2 coats of the satin.

I don't think wax or shellac is suitable for kitchen (at least ours
which gets a lot of use).

The wipe on is easy to use and almost looks like a sprayed on lacquer -
especially the gloss (if you like it). The satin does have a somewhat
"plastic" look, but is it durable.

I would test it on some scrap in any case.

Good luck!

Lou

In article , nemofish
wrote:

Hi All

can anyone recommend a finish suitable for solid oak kitchen doors?
Ideally I'd like a finish that is easy to apply and I was considering
using a wax finish but am a little worried about how this would fare in a
kitchen environment. Does anyone have any experience of this or any
advice to offer?

Many thanks.
Mat.

nemofish

Many thanks for the replies! The Minwax sounds like a good option as it
seems to be an easy finish to apply. After searching the web I've also
come across Tung oil (and many variants) and wondered if this would also
give a durable finish? Does anyone know how these finished compare in
terms of durability and looks?
Ba r r y

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:03:37 -0000, nemofish wrote:

Many thanks for the replies! The Minwax sounds like a good option as it
seems to be an easy finish to apply. After searching the web I've also
come across Tung oil (and many variants) and wondered if this would also
give a durable finish? Does anyone know how these finished compare in
terms of durability and looks?

Both finishes I recommended to you are sold as floor finishes. Is
that durable enough? G

Waterlox is sold in 2 oz. trial packets at better woodworking stores,
Gymseal can be had in quarts. Try either on some wood, as only you
can decide what looks good to you.

Barry

Steven and Gail Peterson

Tung oil penetrates into the wood, it doesn't particularly make a hard
finish, and only adds a little bit of protection to the wood, but it brings
out texture and figure and looks good.

Wax does make a surface layer, but it isn't all that hard either. It is,
however, easy to repair. Both are good for appearance but not so good for
hard wear. Wax is often used over a tung oil or other penetrating finish.

I can't see the original message to add more.

Steve

"nemofish" wrote in message
news
Many thanks for the replies! The Minwax sounds like a good option as it
seems to be an easy finish to apply. After searching the web I've also
come across Tung oil (and many variants) and wondered if this would also
give a durable finish? Does anyone know how these finished compare in
terms of durability and looks?

patriarch

Ba r r y wrote in
:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:03:37 -0000, nemofish wrote:

Many thanks for the replies! The Minwax sounds like a good option as it
seems to be an easy finish to apply. After searching the web I've also
come across Tung oil (and many variants) and wondered if this would also
give a durable finish? Does anyone know how these finished compare in
terms of durability and looks?

Both finishes I recommended to you are sold as floor finishes. Is
that durable enough? G

Waterlox is sold in 2 oz. trial packets at better woodworking stores,
Gymseal can be had in quarts. Try either on some wood, as only you
can decide what looks good to you.

Barry

Ditto on the Waterlox. It's durable, good looking, and doesn't get much
easier for application. Great for the impatient and/or spray-gear
impaired.

Patriarch
Lewis

Hi,
I just refinished a set of pine kitchen cabinet doors. I used SealCoat
(dewaxed shellac) followed by two brushed-on coats of Varathane
water-based polyurethane floor finish. Came out looking great!
Something about the shellac sealer coat or only using two coats of
poly (or the combination) seems to have avoided the "plastic-coated
wood" look. I don't know that I'd run out and buy the floor finish for
cabinets, but I had some left over from a floor-refinishing job. I'm
very happy with the result, and feel confident it will hold up for
years.
Lewis

mike

nemofish wrote in message ...
Hi All

can anyone recommend a finish suitable for solid oak kitchen doors?
Ideally I'd like a finish that is easy to apply and I was considering
using a wax finish but am a little worried about how this would fare in a
kitchen environment. Does anyone have any experience of this or any
advice to offer?

Many thanks.
Mat.

I use a water solvent urethane varnish. Easy to apply with a good
brush, does not yellow over time as some solvent based varnishes do.
Any paint store will carry it.
mike