Darren Harris

Default Advice Please: Getting Angles Perfect

I want to start work on a project, but need to make sure I have the
correct tools for the job.

I'm building a unique control panel(for a video game), that is
basically two parts, so it will have to fit together in a tight
fashion so there will be no play.

The control panel top will basically be a rectangular piece that will
sit on top of a support(which is basically an open-top "box") at a 12
degree slant.

The control panel top will also have wooden "rails"(for lack of a
better term) screwed/glued to both sides underneath the control panel
top, so that when it is in place on top of the "box support" it cannot
move left or right, and can only slide in one direction.

I can cut the basic shapes easily enough, but would I need some sort
of sander to get the precise angle(12 degrees) for the top of the "box
support" that the panel will be resting on, and for making the angles
of the "rails" accurate?

Lastly, can I get recommendations for the best wood to use for this
project?(I was considering oak).

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
George Geddes

Darren Harris wrote:
[...]

You didn't indicate the 12 degree angle is a necessary for because of
unstated considerations. If it is not then all that is needed is 2
pieces that are exactly the same. Lay out one of the pieces exactly as
you want it and the attach a second identical piece to it (double stick
tape works for this) and cut both pieces at the same time. As to wood
selection, yes oak would work fine, what you use really depends on where
this control panel is going to used. i.e. if this is going into a room
that has only light woods in it then soft maple or poplar may be a
better choice. It it is to be painted don't waste your money on oak.
Poplar or birch plywood will do.

Hope this helps - george
Darren Harris

You didn't indicate the 12 degree angle is a necessary for because of
unstated considerations. If it is not then all that is needed is 2
pieces that are exactly the same. Lay out one of the pieces exactly as
you want it and the attach a second identical piece to it (double stick
tape works for this) and cut both pieces at the same time. As to wood
selection, yes oak would work fine, what you use really depends on where
this control panel is going to used. i.e. if this is going into a room
that has only light woods in it then soft maple or poplar may be a
better choice. It it is to be painted don't waste your money on oak.
Poplar or birch plywood will do.

Hope this helps - george

I think you misunderstood.

The control panel will basically be two main parts. The bottom will
basically have a rectangular "box-shape" that will need to be slanted
at 12 degreees on top so that when the flat piece is put on it, it
will slope at 12 degrees.

I was considering oak because of it's durability. This is not a home
decorating project. :-)

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Morris Dovey

Darren Harris wrote:

The control panel will basically be two main parts. The bottom will
basically have a rectangular "box-shape" that will need to be slanted
at 12 degreees on top so that when the flat piece is put on it, it
will slope at 12 degrees.

I was considering oak because of it's durability. This is not a home
decorating project. :-)

Ok, if appearance isn't all that important and if the box is
small, then you can use pretty much whatever's available. If you
like oak, then go with that.

Sloping the top 12º from horizontal isn't difficult. Do some trig
and make a full size drawing of each of the six pieces.
Everything can be reduced to rectangles and triangles; and all
here's all the trig stuff you'll need:

[1] The tangent of an acute angle of a right triangle is the
length of the side opposite divided by the length of the side
opposite the other acute angle.

[2] The tangent of 12º is 0.213 (approximately).

If you make an accurate drawing and cut your parts to match, you
should have just what you want

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar