R.H.

Default Another tool ID needed XXIII

Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
John Keeney

"R.H." wrote in message
om...
Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

195 Valve stem cores
196 Tool for closing split rings?
197 Single edge safety razor blade

Puzzled

"R.H." wrote in message
om...
Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I agree that #196 is a closer for split rings but due to the cheapo
construction, I'm thinking it's a "throwaway" pair of pliers made to close
"hog ring" fasteners used for automotive seat covers, etc.

Leon

"R.H." wrote in message
om...
Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

196 appears to be a left or tight side automatic drum brake adjuster.

Lane

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

196 appears to be a left or tight side automatic drum brake adjuster.

I've done a ton of brake jobs in my life and have never seen a tool like
that.

Lane

WoodMangler

R.H. did say:

Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

195 Schraeder style valve stem cores
196 split ring pliers?
197 razor
198 gauge for gear teeth?
198 a very hard, dentist unrecommended toothbrush?

Leon

"Lane" lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

196 appears to be a left or tight side automatic drum brake adjuster.

I've done a ton of brake jobs in my life and have never seen a tool like
that.

Well it is probably not, but if you have done a ton of brakes you should be
able to imagine the short end of the pivot with the holes is where the
manual brake cable end goes through. As the cable is pulled the arm pivots
and the arm that is bent at an angle engages the star wheel on the adjuster
on the opposite end from the wheel cylinder. In my scenario this is not a
tool rather a universally part of the brake system that works on either
side of the car. Be sure to use your imagination. :~)

Ned Simmons

In article 95ae5160.0411200223.3849cbf9
@posting.google.com, says...
Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

Cheap hog ring pliers?
R.H.

"John Keeney" wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
om...
Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

195 Valve stem cores

Yes

196 Tool for closing split rings?

Probably right

197 Single edge safety razor blade

Correct

R.H.

"WoodMangler" wrote in message
news
R.H. did say:

Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

195 Schraeder style valve stem cores

They are valve stem cores, but I'm sure about if they're Schraeder style.

196 split ring pliers?

Sounds like a good possibility

197 razor

Yes

198 gauge for gear teeth?

This one isn't a gauge.

198 a very hard, dentist unrecommended toothbrush?

lol, it does sort of look like one

JeffB

As others have said, 196 is:

a "throwaway" pair of pliers made to close "hog ring" fasteners used for
automotive seat covers, etc.

198 is the bolt out of a lock.

JeffB

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I've finally figured out why I don't see these before there are
a bunch of guesses already posted.

Looking at the "Newsgroups: " header, I find:

rec.antiques
rec.woodworking
rec.crafts.metalworking

*Three* newsgroups -- above my threshold for cross-posting before I get
it automatically marked as junk.

I don't see it until someone replies only in the one newsgroup
the three which I actually read.

So -- I guess that I am stuck with this problem.

DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ed Rinehart

R.H. wrote:

Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

199 rope winder(for making rope)
B.B.

In article ,
(R.H.) wrote:

Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

195. "Hummer2" version of nails.
196. "Flat Earth Society" Brand Pliers
197. A Notch
198. The Terminator's Toothbrush
199. Cat Spinner
200. Blacksmith Porn

B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net
http://www.sorryeverybody.com/
R.H.

"Ed Rinehart" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

199 rope winder(for making rope)

This answer is correct.

paperboy

199 - Rope maker/braider???
Karl Vorwerk

That's what I think.
Karl

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article 95ae5160.0411200223.3849cbf9
@posting.google.com, says...
Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

Cheap hog ring pliers?

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Leon

"R.H." wrote in message
196 split ring pliers?

Sounds like a good possibility

Yes it does but would you really want to squeeze your hand around those
handles? I still believe that this is a part of an assembly of some sort.

Robert Bonomi

R.H. wrote:

Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

199 rope winder(for making rope)

This answer is correct.

It is a somewhat _unusual_ one. Rope winders usually have an _odd_ number
of hooks, typically 5 or 7.

There's a reason an odd number of strands 'works better', but it's been
too long since I was doing that kind of stuff -- I _don't_ remember what
the rationale is.

R.H.

I just added another photo of number 196, it's a side view showing that the
holes on this tool are offset 5/32". I've never seen hog ringers that were
offset like this, also the holes are smaller than the usual indentations on
ringers. One more reason I don't think that they're ringers is the handles
seem to be made for work in which you wouldn't have to sqeeze very hard,
although I've never worked with split rings and don't know how much pressure
is required with them.

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message
That's what I think.
Karl

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article 95ae5160.0411200223.3849cbf9
@posting.google.com, says...
Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

Cheap hog ring pliers?

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

R.H.

"paperboy" wrote in message
om...
199 - Rope maker/braider???

Correct, it's a rope maker.

R.H.

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"R.H." wrote in message
196 split ring pliers?

Sounds like a good possibility

Yes it does but would you really want to squeeze your hand around those
handles? I still believe that this is a part of an assembly of some sort.

As I mentioned in another post, I just added a side view photo of this one
in which you can see that the holes are offset by 5/32", I'm not sure if
this is typical of split ring pliers or not. What type of assembly would
use something like this tool? You might be right about the handles, they
would only be comfortable for work in which not much pressure is required.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

R.H.

Can you change the threshold setting? First time that I've heard of anyone
having this problem. Also, if you are interested you might be able to see
more responses by reading the threads on google groups.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I've finally figured out why I don't see these before there are
a bunch of guesses already posted.

Looking at the "Newsgroups: " header, I find:

rec.antiques
rec.woodworking
rec.crafts.metalworking

*Three* newsgroups -- above my threshold for cross-posting before I get
it automatically marked as junk.

I don't see it until someone replies only in the one newsgroup
the three which I actually read.

So -- I guess that I am stuck with this problem.

DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Greg O

"R.H." wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"R.H." wrote in message
196 split ring pliers?

Sounds like a good possibility

Yes it does but would you really want to squeeze your hand around those
handles? I still believe that this is a part of an assembly of some

sort.

As I mentioned in another post, I just added a side view photo of this one
in which you can see that the holes are offset by 5/32", I'm not sure if
this is typical of split ring pliers or not. What type of assembly would
use something like this tool? You might be right about the handles, they
would only be comfortable for work in which not much pressure is required.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

A plier to install/remove round wire snap ring style hose clamps.
Greg

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:37:37 GMT, "R.H." calmly
ranted:

"Leon" wrote in message
.com...

"R.H." wrote in message
196 split ring pliers?

Sounds like a good possibility

Yes it does but would you really want to squeeze your hand around those
handles? I still believe that this is a part of an assembly of some sort.

As I mentioned in another post, I just added a side view photo of this one
in which you can see that the holes are offset by 5/32", I'm not sure if
this is typical of split ring pliers or not. What type of assembly would
use something like this tool? You might be right about the handles, they
would only be comfortable for work in which not much pressure is required.

Automotive hog-ring pliers. The offset allows them to close the ring
in an overlapped circle. They're really cheap pliers a la JC Whitney
from the 70's. If you have a large stock of old Whitney catalogs, look
'em up.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Can you change the threshold setting?

I *could* change the threshold setting, but then I would be
having to fight with more of the OT postings which are typically
cross-posted, so I won't.

First time that I've heard of anyone
having this problem.

That may be because I'm one of the few who is filtering on
cross-posted usenet articles to reduce the noise threshold.

I'm trying some reverse filtering on the "Subject: " header
(please only change the Roman numeral) to undo it.

Also, if you are interested you might be able to see
more responses by reading the threads on google groups.

Once I see a first response with the "Newsgroups: " trimmed back
below my threshold, I can navigate back through the threads.

And I *hate* attempting to navigate newsgroups on Google -- and
would certainly not *post* to them via Google. A web browser is *not* a
proper newsreader, IMHO.

Going to Google would be introducing more problems to attempt to
cure this one -- and I *could* cure it just by turning off the
newsgroup-count based filtering.

If you can cut down the heavily OT postings which are heavily
cross-posted, I would not *need* that filtering -- except for the
occasional spam. (Or maybe it is more than occasional, and I am simply
not seeing it because of my filtering. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

R.H.

I haven't received much feedback on my site so I thought I'd ask for
comments pro and con. One possible issue is image size. Smaller ones would
load faster and might be easier on the eyes. I think that large close-ups
are interesting, but it's been suggested that some of mine are too big.

Any comments about what you like or don't like would be appreciated.

Please don't post your replies on the newsgroup, but send me a private
email.

Thanks,
Rob

Hardwired

used to have the same pliers bought from J.C. Whitney long ago to replace
the seats in a '62 corvair. You do not want the ring to meet but to pass. It
does not take much pressure to do this but after a few hundered or so your
hands do hurt. like I said cheap...

Scott