Michael Hastings

Default Ebay: Someone is making a killing on a plane.

Not advertising just astonished.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ry=13874&item=
6131882517&rd=1

Please delete the & in addressing replies.

Michael Hastings

I am sorry for the poor choice of wording. I guess it is just the age we
live in now. I will try to be more careful in the future.

--
Michael Hastings
1 Thess 4:11 ... make it your ambition to lead a quiet life

igor wrote in
news

wrote:

Not advertising just astonished.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ry=13874&item=
6131882517&rd=1

Please delete the & in addressing replies.

Charlie Self

Michael Hastings reports:

Not advertising just astonished.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ry=13874&item=
6131882517&rd=1

Me, too. It claims to be a Holly's Patent plane, but I have no idea if that's
added value or not. It is an astounding amount of money for an unidentified old
plane, but long ways from a record.

Could be someone knows a lot more than we do, though.

Charlie Self
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
nothing."
Redd Foxx
igor

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:31:05 GMT, Michael Hastings &
wrote:

I am sorry for the poor choice of wording. I guess it is just the age we
live in now. I will try to be more careful in the future.

It's like yelling "Hi, Jack" to your friend over in seat 7D. Your post
gave me a chuckle. -- Igor

martin

Yes it is legit, Birdsill Holly patented in 1852 the earliest metallicplane
patents and the first to have a metal cap and not a wooden wedge.So you can
imagine how rare this plane is pre-civil war,the two example that I saw
fetch around 2 to 3 k,
Greetings

--
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listen.....
Jimi Hendrix
"Michael Hastings" & wrote in message
Not advertising just astonished.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ry=13874&item=
6131882517&rd=1

Please delete the & in addressing replies.

Upscale

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Me, too. It claims to be a Holly's Patent plane, but I have no idea if

that's
added value or not. It is an astounding amount of money for an

unidentified old
plane, but long ways from a record.

About 12 years ago, at my mother's request, I sold off all of my father's
old planes and they came from his father's collection. It was some 20-30
pieces. I sold the whole group for $1000. The internet was too new at the
time to access information like there is in this group. It makes me sick to
think what these planes were probably worth. Just another regret of mine to
pile on with all the others. At least benefit of the internet will give me a
chance to prevent the same thing from happening again.

Dave in Fairfax

Charlie Self wrote:
Me, too. It claims to be a Holly's Patent plane, but I have no idea if that's
added value or not. It is an astounding amount of money for an unidentified old
plane, but long ways from a record.

Google brings this up:
http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/ar...uction0804.htm
http://www.mjdtools.com/auction/graphics/a77151.htm

Looks like a little known but very busy inventor. There were
other hits for non-WWg things like pumps.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Neil Ward

Charlie Self wrote:

Michael Hastings reports:

Not advertising just astonished.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ry=13874&item=
6131882517&rd=1

Me, too. It claims to be a Holly's Patent plane, but I have no idea if that's
added value or not. It is an astounding amount of money for an unidentified old
plane, but long ways from a record.

Could be someone knows a lot more than we do, though.

Charlie Self
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
nothing."
Redd Foxx

More Holly Paten planes...

http://www.mjdtools.com/auction/graphics/a77151.htm
http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/ar...uction0804.htm

"Here's an example that falls into the category of "You never heard of
this guy, but your life is better because of him." It was a Holly's
patent jointer made by Silsby, Race & Holly, Seneca Falls, New York, and
patented July 6, 1852. The firm operated between 1848 and 1859. This
piece, with a wooden insert on the back of the handle, fetched a
mid-estimate $1100. The patentee, Birdsill Holly, was a prolific
inventor, with about 150 U.S. patents to his credit, many of them
centered on mechanical engineering, hydraulics, and fire-fighting
equipment. If you drink water from a municipal system, it gets to your
tap courtesy of a system based on a Holly design."

P.H. Thorsted

That item number is no longer on Ebay. Looks like it was removed by Ebay.

P.T.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:17:18 -0500, Neil Ward wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:

Michael Hastings reports:

[...]

GTO69RA4

That item number is no longer on Ebay. Looks like it was removed by Ebay.

P.T.

What are you talking about? It's still there. They don't remove completed
auctions for 90 days.

GTO(John)
John Keeney

"P.H. Thorsted" wrote in message
That item number is no longer on Ebay. Looks like it was removed by Ebay.

The link may not be working for you by clicking it (it didn't for me):
not only did I have to cut&paste the second line worth of information
onto the first bit but the equals sign at the end of the first line was
being dropped as well.
Let's see if I can make a better link:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:17:18 -0500, Neil Ward wrote:

Michael Hastings reports: