Default Is getting lumber off the web a good idea????????????

I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if
anybody as done it, were they pleased. Also rec's for which companies.
Mike
Gary A in KC

I've had very good luck buying figured woods. Lots of reputable places.
One's I've used a
Sandy Ponds hardwood (some great curly maple)
Berea Hardwoods (figured cherry)
Good Hope Hardwoods (figured cherry slabs).
Joewoodworker.com (great veneers and info).

Gary in KC

wrote in message
I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if
anybody as done it, were they pleased. Also rec's for which companies.
Mike

jo4hn

I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if
anybody as done it, were they pleased. Also rec's for which companies.
Mike

Hartzell (
http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/ ) is a good place.
I bought 100 bf of rift sawn white oak for $2+ a foot plus shipping.
Good stuff at half the price of anything local. Honesty is worth a lot
and when it comes with a bargain price, well...
mahalo,
jo4hn

I'm having trouble finding the actual websites can you post links or
actual web addresses? Please.
Thanks,
Mike On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:37:02 GMT, "Gary A in KC"
wrote:

I've had very good luck buying figured woods. Lots of reputable places.
One's I've used a
Sandy Ponds hardwood (some great curly maple)
Berea Hardwoods (figured cherry)
Good Hope Hardwoods (figured cherry slabs).
Joewoodworker.com (great veneers and info).

Gary in KC

wrote in message
.. .
I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if
anybody as done it, were they pleased. Also rec's for which companies.
Mike

Juergen Hannappel

writes:

I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if

Do you have the necessary LTP client? The Lumber Transfer Protocol is
a rather new development and clients are not so widely available.
;-)
--
Dr. Juergen Hannappel
http://lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hannappe

Gary A in KC

wrote in message
I'm having trouble finding the actual websites can you post links or
actual web addresses? Please.
Thanks,
Mike On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:37:02 GMT, "Gary A in KC"

Sandyponds is www.figuredhardwoods.com
Berea is http://hometown.aol.com/bereahard/index.html
Good Hope is http://www.goodhope.com/
joe woodworker is www.joewoodworker .com

Gary in KC

mac davis

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:37:29 GMT, "Gary A in KC"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I'm having trouble finding the actual websites can you post links or
actual web addresses? Please.
Thanks,
Mike On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:37:02 GMT, "Gary A in KC"

Sandyponds is www.figuredhardwoods.com
Berea is http://hometown.aol.com/bereahard/index.html
Good Hope is http://www.goodhope.com/
joe woodworker is www.joewoodworker .com

Gary in KC

some great links, Gary... thanks!
mac davis

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:26:12 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

writes:

I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if

Do you have the necessary LTP client? The Lumber Transfer Protocol is
a rather new development and clients are not so widely available.
;-)

I WANT IT
will it work at Playboy.com?

John McCoy

"Gary A in KC" wrote in news:Jp7ld.12694
:

wrote in message
I'm having trouble finding the actual websites can you post links or
actual web addresses? Please.
Thanks,
Mike On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:37:02 GMT, "Gary A in KC"

Sandyponds is www.figuredhardwoods.com
Berea is http://hometown.aol.com/bereahard/index.html
Good Hope is http://www.goodhope.com/
joe woodworker is www.joewoodworker .com

You can add Steve Wall www.walllumber.com to the list as another
mail-order supplier with a good rep.

A couple of things to think of, if you intend on ordering lumber:

lumber is fairly heavy - there's advantages in shipping costs to
ordering from a dealer that's fairly close.

20 board feet +/- will hit the weight limit for UPS, anything more
than that will come truck freight.

web-site pricing is usually based on 100bf multiples.

John
WoodMangler

mac davis did say:

wrote:

writes:

I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if

Do you have the necessary LTP client? The Lumber Transfer Protocol is
a rather new development and clients are not so widely available.
;-)

I WANT IT
will it work at Playboy.com?

Beware LTP will only download lumber, not upload it. You're always on the
receiving end...

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

any in the Denver area?
WoodMangler

Mike did say:

I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if
anybody as done it, were they pleased.

You can get lumber off the net. Just don't get any of the load bearing
stuff, the net might fall down.

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

TWS

wrote in message
I'm having trouble finding the actual websites can you post links or
actual web addresses? Please.
Thanks,
Mike On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:37:02 GMT, "Gary A in KC"

Sandyponds is www.figuredhardwoods.com
Berea is http://hometown.aol.com/bereahard/index.html
Good Hope is http://www.goodhope.com/
joe woodworker is www.joewoodworker .com

You can add Steve Wall www.walllumber.com to the list as another
mail-order supplier with a good rep.

A couple of things to think of, if you intend on ordering lumber:

lumber is fairly heavy - there's advantages in shipping costs to
ordering from a dealer that's fairly close.

20 board feet +/- will hit the weight limit for UPS, anything more
than that will come truck freight.

web-site pricing is usually based on 100bf multiples.

John

Then there is the length limit, anything over seven feet will have to
be cut for UPS shipment.

TWS
Jeff G C

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:37:02 GMT, "Gary A in KC"
wrote:

Gary, if you are in KC why not call this number Don ‘Bud’ Arndt
(owner) 816-729-1149 (day/cell) or his websit is

http://www.movnwood.com/newsletter.html.

If you manage to get him please post result here. Thanks.

I've had very good luck buying figured woods. Lots of reputable places.
One's I've used a
Sandy Ponds hardwood (some great curly maple)
Berea Hardwoods (figured cherry)
Good Hope Hardwoods (figured cherry slabs).
Joewoodworker.com (great veneers and info).

Gary in KC

wrote in message
.. .
I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if
anybody as done it, were they pleased. Also rec's for which companies.
Mike

Prometheus

wrote:

writes:

I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if

Do you have the necessary LTP client? The Lumber Transfer Protocol is
a rather new development and clients are not so widely available.
;-)

I WANT IT
will it work at Playboy.com?

I'm sure you can get wood at playboy.com with or without LTP

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

I've had very good luck buying figured woods. Lots of reputable places.
One's I've used a
Sandy Ponds hardwood (some great curly maple)
Berea Hardwoods (figured cherry)
Good Hope Hardwoods (figured cherry slabs).
Joewoodworker.com (great veneers and info).

Gary in KC

How do you find the shipping charges?

wrote in message
.. .
I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if
anybody as done it, were they pleased. Also rec's for which companies.
Mike

Robert Galloway

Bought some off the web from a dealer who also advertises in the wood
mags. Good price. Great pieces. Don't remember which one. I'll look
in my old invoices and see if I can find it.

bob g.