Tom Watson

Default WhatWreckWas

Web Images Groups News Froogle more »

Advanced Groups Search
Preferences

Groups Search result 3 for group:rec.woodworking authoraul
author:radovanic

DefyStain.com • Defy Epoxy Fortified Wood Stain. Free Shipping.
Services in Detroit. • Defystain.com Sponsored Links

Lacquer Spray Wood Stain • Fine finishing lacquer spray stain variety
of pigments to choose from • www.Architecturals.net
Global Connections -SLU • Bamboo, laminate, hardwood flooring We
distribute everywhere • www.globalconnectionltd.com

Search Result 3
From: Paul T. Radovanic )
Subject: Paduak bleeding into finish
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: 2001-08-27 17:57:04 PST

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Tom Wicke wrote:
I am using Paduak as an accent color on the segmented vessels I turn. I
am using a laquer finsh and find that the red of the paduak is bleeding
into the finish resulting in an unacceptable product.
Can I use a shelac seal coat and then laquer or?

Tom,

The answer is yes, you can. Shellac makes a great sealer -- much
better than lacquer. And the two go together very well. In many
cases, some woods would drink up lacquer endlessly for days, but
shellac will seal it right up in one or two coats.

Now, I've never done a segmented turning, and I have only a little
experience at turning and finishing padauk. So consider this
speculation based on limited experience.

The trick is going to be applying the first coat or three of shellac
in *very* thin layers to the padauk only, so it dries lickety-split.
If you apply a thicker layer, the liquid alcohol has a longer time to
dissolve and 'draw up' the red. If this is a solid ring of padauk, I
would probably do this with an artist's paint brush; no big deal. If
the segments are small pieces randomly interspersed throughout the
vessel, it might drive you to inventing new words. ;^

Once you have that first sealer coat or two applied this way to the
padauk, I would wipe on a full coat of shellac to the entire vessel.
Then again, I would more likely apply five or six coats so that I had
enough build to sand it smooth without cutting back to raw wood. Then
you can begin to build your lacquer coats.

Oh, I would use only dewaxed blonde shellac for this.

As always, experiment first.

HTH,

Paul Rad

Regards,