Jane & David

Default General International vs Delta, Jet, etc?

I need another bandsaw (14")and am curious about General. Their Canadian
stuff looks great, but I would much rather pay the General International
prices. Some of their machines look identical to the other Taiwan stuff,
but does anyone know how well General does at specifying and inspecting
so that their machines work the way they should? I don't mind some rough
edges, but do they make sure their wheels line-up and spin, tables are
flat, adjustments are smooth and accurate? Any owners out there have
good or bad General International experiences to share?

TIA
David
BobS

I have the GI mortiser and it's a good machine but had a few QC problems
which were finally corrected after 3 months of waiting on parts. General
tech support will tell you they're built to Generals specs but no, they do
not inspect them in Canada or the US. They are shipped directly to the
distributors from the far east and .... well, just don't expect General
quality for the price you're paying. No spares are stocked either so unless
the distributor carries some spare parts - you're in for a wait of several
months. I don't know if that's any worse than any other import tool but you
may want to find a distributor that say's he carries spare parts
for the tool.

Overall, the quality of the GI was better than the other choices I had to
compare against (Jet, Delta) at the time. Price was a bit higher but had
features that I thought were well worth the extra money. Have you looked at
any Grizzly equipment ? I don't own any but at least they carry spare parts
and are based in the US.

Bob S.

"Jane & David" wrote in message
I need another bandsaw (14")and am curious about General. Their Canadian
stuff looks great, but I would much rather pay the General International
prices. Some of their machines look identical to the other Taiwan stuff,
but does anyone know how well General does at specifying and inspecting
so that their machines work the way they should? I don't mind some rough
edges, but do they make sure their wheels line-up and spin, tables are
flat, adjustments are smooth and accurate? Any owners out there have
good or bad General International experiences to share?

TIA
David

max

David
I have owned or used several General band saws. They are the best I have
ever used. They rival my Walker Turner. I do not think they are Taiwanese.
The General fit and performance are excellent. You will never regret buying
one.
max

I need another bandsaw (14")and am curious about General. Their Canadian
stuff looks great, but I would much rather pay the General International
prices. Some of their machines look identical to the other Taiwan stuff,
but does anyone know how well General does at specifying and inspecting
so that their machines work the way they should? I don't mind some rough
edges, but do they make sure their wheels line-up and spin, tables are
flat, adjustments are smooth and accurate? Any owners out there have
good or bad General International experiences to share?

TIA
David

Peter De Smidt

max wrote:
David
I have owned or used several General band saws. They are the best I have
ever used. They rival my Walker Turner. I do not think they are Taiwanese.
The General fit and performance are excellent. You will never regret buying
one.
max

General (Canada) and General International (Taiwan) are two completely
separate lines of machines. The Canada machines are higher quality and
higher cost. I own a General International contractor's saw, and I'm
very pleased with it. Nonetheless, there were some minor set-up issues.
It's my understanding that General (Canada) does not inspect the
machines. No doubt this is due to cost considerations.

-Peter De Smidt
John Moorhead

Dave -

I reviewed mortising machines and now have the GI mortiser - it got a good
review in AW, I think... I am very happy with it and would purchase it
again in a heartbeat. My shop is a combo of colors but General Green seems
to have been a good choice. HTH

John Moorhead

"Jane & David" wrote in message
I need another bandsaw (14")and am curious about General. Their Canadian
stuff looks great, but I would much rather pay the General International
prices. Some of their machines look identical to the other Taiwan stuff,
but does anyone know how well General does at specifying and inspecting
so that their machines work the way they should? I don't mind some rough
edges, but do they make sure their wheels line-up and spin, tables are
flat, adjustments are smooth and accurate? Any owners out there have
good or bad General International experiences to share?

TIA
David

JGS

I bought mine after Bob had bought his and had written a detailed evaluation
with fixes. By that time, GI had fixed a couple of problems that he had
experienced and over all I am happy with the unit. I also have their joiner
and find the fit and finish are better than the others I looked at which are
made in the same factory. It has performed flawlessly for three years of
moderate use. JG