firstjois

jhill wrote:
We bought an semi-antique bed we liked and refinished it. When we
went shopping for matriss and springs, we found only one place that
had one short enough to fit between the head and foot-board. It is
tightly wedged in, so it is difficult to change the sheets. I
would like to put some extenders, somehow, in the siderails to make
them, say 4 or 6 inches longer. I did a Google search for bed
extender, and bed rail extender, but all I get are hits for pickup
bed extenders. Are such a thing made, and what do I search for to
find them? Or how
else can I fix the problem?

Even seen a set of twin beds that also turn into trundle beds and bunk
beds? It's neat and the whole secret of the trundle beds is extending the
bed rails on one twin and putting wheels on the feet of the other. Then the
one with wheels rolls under the other because it was made extra long by the
extensions.

this picture shows the extension on the right end only of the top bed:
http://www.ecobedroom.com/shop/furni...emtrundle1.jpg

Lee Valey and Veritas catalog (2004-2005) show the pieces of hardware
needed on page 180 - they call the metal pieces "bedlocks" and "bed hooks"
and if you can't find anything better I could photograph (digital) the
extentions of the twin bed and post them.

Josie

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:48:37 -0600, "jhill"
wrote:

Or how else can I fix the problem?

Get a latex foam mattress (Dunlopillo brand in the UK). NB- latex,
foam, not PU or Tempur.

They're expensive, but they're _the_ best mattresses I've ever slept
on. They're also cut to size for your order, so you can have anything
you want. They tend to the firm side of things, but you can pick your
foam softness grade when you order.

--
Smert' spamionam
RonB

I was going to suggest making them from scratch. Same comment - not that
difficult. But this extension method sounds like a good approach. If your
bedding covers the rails they will be covered anyway.

I refinished an old Mahogany bed this summer and the rails were in pretty
bad shape (splits). I did manager to glue everything back together but
building new ones was my next option. The hardware was held in place with
small cylindrical keys. Very easy to accommodate.

I operate a woodworking shop in Allen, Michigan, The Antique Capital of
Michigan. I am often called upon to extend antique bed rails. What I do
is cut the bed rail in half about a foot from the end and double lap a
piece about 3 inches wide into the gap from behind with a router. The
joint has never failed. A custom woodworker could do it for you. I charge
$20 for two rails.

It is easier to make new ones using the old hardware but more expensive of
course. Assuming that they are oak, the lumber would cost about $40. It
is very easy to put the hardware in.

jhill

Thank you. Something like that is more of what I had in mind. I will have
to get those catalogs and order the hardware. I remember that some company
used to have these extenders already made up, but that was several years ago
and I didn't need them then!

"firstjois" wrote in message
jhill wrote:
[...]

firstjois

jhill wrote:
Thank you. Something like that is more of what I had in mind. I
will have to get those catalogs and order the hardware. I remember
that some company used to have these extenders already made up, but
that was several years ago and I didn't need them then!

I just requested the catalogs a few days ago because someone here suggested
it - got them already, just took a few days for them to send them to me.

Josie

strange shaped shower rail NC UK diy 2 July 31st 03 12:33 PM
Removing a hydronic towel heater rail help? Bob Mannix UK diy 1 July 10th 03 03:01 PM