Default Moveable Base For Jointer

On 07 Nov 2004 00:54:56 GMT, Garry Collins
wrote:

I finally got a jointer. It is 2.25' long and 24" wide. It sits on a base
that is 35" long and 19" wide. It weighs around 600 lb. Because of space
limitations, I need to put the entire unit on a movable base. I need help
on the size of the base and the dimensions of the wood that I should use to
make the base.

I intend to have four castors on the base, two swivel locking, and two
without locks. I have some pine in the shop, around 3 x 2. Half lap joints
at each end, a layer of ¾" ply, and castors screwed through the end joints.

Is this feasible? Is there a better way?

Thanks for your help.

I'd look into having one welded up from steel. and make sure you over
rate the casters, especially if your shop floor is rough.
A Womack

Is this feasible? Is there a better way?

HTC mobile base, spend the money. You invested in a VERY expensive machine
and scriping on the base makes no sense. I put their HTC 2000 under my 8"
jointer, I can move it around, but it mostly stays put!

Alan
Garry Collins

A Womack wrote in
:

Is this feasible? Is there a better way?

HTC mobile base, spend the money. You invested in a VERY expensive
machine and scriping on the base makes no sense. I put their HTC 2000
under my 8" jointer, I can move it around, but it mostly stays put!

Alan

Do they supply to Australia?

--
Garry Collins
Remove the spamno from my eamill address.
Unisaw A100

Garry Collins wrote:
I finally got a jointer. It is 2.25' long and 24" wide. It weighs around 600 lb.

Wow! I'm curious. A machine this short, this wide and this
heavy. What is it?

UA100
dave

Garry, have you looked into commercially available bases? I just picked one
up from Rockler yesterday. Though my weight needs are much less than yours,
I thought it did a nice job on other equipment in the store, and it was only
35$. Woodcraft has numerous models too.

Dave

"Garry Collins" wrote in message
I finally got a jointer. It is 2.25' long and 24" wide. It sits on a base
that is 35" long and 19" wide. It weighs around 600 lb. Because of space
limitations, I need to put the entire unit on a movable base. I need help
on the size of the base and the dimensions of the wood that I should use
make the base.

I intend to have four castors on the base, two swivel locking, and two
without locks. I have some pine in the shop, around 3 x 2. Half lap joints
at each end, a layer of ¾" ply, and castors screwed through the end
joints.

Is this feasible? Is there a better way?

Thanks for your help.

--
Garry Collins
Remove the spamno from my eamill address.

JohnT.

I bought a movable base set from HF. Its often 15.99 on sale. Its the
kind where you have to add 2x2 members between the wheeled corners.
However, the I put the caster wheel at the narrow side, and I wound up
having to do some welding to get it together. You can't really put it on
the side, as then you could only move your jointer sideways-a bit hard
to get through doorways and tight spots!

John

Novice seeks any tips for installing rubber wall base Dolchas Home Repair 2 July 4th 04 03:22 PM
Shower base repair Kevin Webb UK diy 0 January 19th 04 03:09 AM
Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard Montyhp Woodworking 3 July 24th 03 02:58 PM