Default Moveable Base For Jointer

On 07 Nov 2004 00:54:56 GMT, Garry Collins
wrote:

I finally got a jointer. It is 2.25' long and 24" wide. It sits on a base
that is 35" long and 19" wide. It weighs around 600 lb. Because of space
limitations, I need to put the entire unit on a movable base. I need help
on the size of the base and the dimensions of the wood that I should use to
make the base.

I intend to have four castors on the base, two swivel locking, and two
without locks. I have some pine in the shop, around 3 x 2. Half lap joints
at each end, a layer of ¾" ply, and castors screwed through the end joints.

Is this feasible? Is there a better way?

Thanks for your help.

I'd look into having one welded up from steel. and make sure you over
rate the casters, especially if your shop floor is rough.