Alan W

Default Link belts, are they REALLY noisy

My local bearing supplier sells Jason Industrial green linkbelts
similar to the machined pulley/link belt tune up kits with the Fenner
Drives PowerTwist line.

Mostly I wanted to get rid of the motor hop when the brake kicks on,
but the extra noise with this belt turns me off. It does absorb the
motor hop very well.

Photo he

http://alan.firebin.net/images/link_belt.jpg

for those on a fast connection, some 4 meg movies files to hear the
difference.

Requires QuickTime

http://alan.firebin.net/images/link-belt.mov

http://alan.firebin.net/images/v-belt.mov

I've only run the belt for about 2 minutes, VERY load.

Alan
Unisaw A100

It looks as though your saw passes the nickel test with the
belt on the table. How does it do with the belt on the
sheaves?

UA100
A Womack

Unisaw A100 wrote in
:

It looks as though your saw passes the nickel test with the
belt on the table. How does it do with the belt on the
sheaves?

UA100

Watch the video and hear the difference. The saw might vibrate a bit more
with the Jason link belt, but the motor brake is not noticeable. When the
motor breaks, it is enough to move the arbor against the bearings a few
thousands. For weeks the blade would throw off pieces from the ZCI at
brake time.

Alan
Bob

"Alan W" wrote in message
om...

Mostly I wanted to get rid of the motor hop when the brake kicks on,
but the extra noise with this belt turns me off. It does absorb the
motor hop very well.

I listened to your movies and you are right. Its LOUD. I'm wondering if you
installed it backward.

Having said that, your saw really makes a jolt when it shuts down. Has it
always done that? What kind of saw is it? I think I'd disable the brake if
that's possible.

Bob

AAvK

Better link belting, made of leather and metal studs as the hooks and they don't
touch the pulley, which would cause noise. Different sizes and I bought one
myself but I never put it to use. I have not found these belts in the America's.
Reasonable prices and fast shipping. I think the leather will be much less noisy.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Alex

A Womack

"Bob" wrote in
hlink.net:

"Alan W" wrote in message
om...

Mostly I wanted to get rid of the motor hop when the brake kicks on,
but the extra noise with this belt turns me off. It does absorb the
motor hop very well.

I listened to your movies and you are right. Its LOUD. I'm wondering
if you installed it backward.

Having said that, your saw really makes a jolt when it shuts down. Has
it always done that? What kind of saw is it? I think I'd disable the
brake if that's possible.

Bob

The motor is a 2hp grizzly upgrade. Someday I may take it in to have it
disabled. Anyone have the red Fenner Drives PowerTwist on their saw and
can comment on the amount of noise?

Alan
Ba r r y

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 21:24:09 GMT, A Womack
wrote:

The motor is a 2hp grizzly upgrade. Someday I may take it in to have it
disabled. Anyone have the red Fenner Drives PowerTwist on their saw and
can comment on the amount of noise?

I had one on a contractor's saw, and there was no noticeable
difference compared to a v-belt. My band say dosen't sound any
different, either.

I have standard belts on my 3 HP cabinet saw, but plan on installing
red link belts when I get tired of the pop.

Barry
Silvan

Unisaw A100 wrote:

A Womack wrote:
Anyone have the red Fenner Drives PowerTwist on their saw and
can comment on the amount of noise?

I have them on my band saw and they aren't noisy.

On the other side of the coin, I have the green ones. On my metal-cutting
bandsaw, they reduced the vibration DRAMATICALLY, and they're a little
quieter (or maybe it's just because stuff two towns over is no longer
vibrating sympathetically...) OTOH, I the green stuff on my little 36"/6"
belt sander and it is

N N O ISY. (OK, i rean out of patience. rean. sheesh. I'm glad
N N N
N N N
N N
N N N
N NNN
N N

I'm not in the shop at the mometnsn. I'm wever so slightly abrevitated.
Ooooops.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Larry Jaques

On 5 Nov 2004 23:11:02 -0800, (Alan W)
calmly ranted:

My local bearing supplier sells Jason Industrial green linkbelts
similar to the machined pulley/link belt tune up kits with the Fenner
Drives PowerTwist line.

I have the green link belt and it doesn't make any more noise
than the v-belt did, but it produces a helluva lot less vibration
than the v-belt. I think it squeaked for a few minutes and then
quieted down, once it flexed in. I thn retightened it as per the
instructions. Also, make sure it isn't too -tight-. That could
cause the noise. They run a bit looser than v-belts.

Mostly I wanted to get rid of the motor hop when the brake kicks on,
but the extra noise with this belt turns me off. It does absorb the
motor hop very well.

Photo he

http://alan.firebin.net/images/link_belt.jpg

Tha picture errors out with this in Mozilla 0.9.3:
The image “http://alan.firebin.net/images/link_belt.jpg” cannot be
displayed, because it contains errors.

for those on a fast connection, some 4 meg movies files to hear the
difference.

Requires QuickTime

http://alan.firebin.net/images/link-belt.mov

Yes, very noisy. Check direction. It could be installed
backwards. Is it the correct width? Or is it hitting on
something? Give it a closer check.

http://alan.firebin.net/images/v-belt.mov

Yes, quieter.

I've only run the belt for about 2 minutes, VERY load.

Well, they do break in. Run it for 10 more minutes after
the other checks.

Got a photo of the installation?

---
In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact
with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development -

Mike Fairleigh

This is the first time I've heard anyone else complain about the noise
besides me. I originally put Fenner belt on my Craftsman contractor saw and
it sounded just like yours, if not louder. I've also put it on my restored
1955 Delta/Rockwell 6" joiner, and it's a screamer, too. What do they have
in common? Both of those tools have/had a very small diameter sheave at one
end. My theory is that forcing the belt around a tight radius may be
causing the *ends* of the links to rub against each other. I also have
Fenner belt on my Delta 14" BS and it doesn't make the noise. It also has
larger sheaves at both ends. Just my $.02.

--
Mike

"Alan W" wrote in message
om...
My local bearing supplier sells Jason Industrial green linkbelts
similar to the machined pulley/link belt tune up kits with the Fenner
Drives PowerTwist line.

Mostly I wanted to get rid of the motor hop when the brake kicks on,
but the extra noise with this belt turns me off. It does absorb the
motor hop very well.

Photo he

http://alan.firebin.net/images/link_belt.jpg

for those on a fast connection, some 4 meg movies files to hear the
difference.

Requires QuickTime

http://alan.firebin.net/images/link-belt.mov

http://alan.firebin.net/images/v-belt.mov

I've only run the belt for about 2 minutes, VERY load.

Alan

Unisaw A100

Mike Fairleigh wrote:
I've also put it on my restored
1955 Delta/Rockwell 6" joiner, and it's a screamer, too.

I have the Fenners on my also restored '57ish Delta 6"
jointer. One of the things I noticed was that the belt rubs
up against the cast iron machine pulley guard. I've had the
motor out of the machine so long I can't remember if it was
loud or not. I do though share your theory on the sheave
diameter being maybe the cause.

UA100
Ba r r y

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 14:01:36 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Mike Fairleigh wrote:
I've also put it on my restored
1955 Delta/Rockwell 6" joiner, and it's a screamer, too.

I have the Fenners on my also restored '57ish Delta 6"
jointer. One of the things I noticed was that the belt rubs
up against the cast iron machine pulley guard. I've had the
motor out of the machine so long I can't remember if it was
loud or not. I do though share your theory on the sheave
diameter being maybe the cause.

UA100

That reminds me! G

The OP should look closely at the entire belt path. I remember my red
link belt rubbing a cover on the contractor's saw, creating a loud
whine. For the next 4 years, I used the saw without the cover, and
the saw was very quiet. The link belt was a tad wider than the
standard belt, so ever so gently rubbed the cover.

I totally forgot about tossing that cover!

Barry
Silvan

Ba r r y wrote:

the saw was very quiet. The link belt was a tad wider than the
standard belt, so ever so gently rubbed the cover.

I totally forgot about tossing that cover!

A related note on both scores... I had to ditch the cover/dust channelling
mechanism on my sander because the (green) belt was going to eat a hole in
it. That helped the noise considerably, but it's still LOUD. It has small
pulleys, and it's under enormous tension to compensate for the fact that
it's replacing an unobtainable toothed belt that used to drive more with
teeth than tension. The extra tension surely makes it that much worse.

I expect it to die someday so I have an excuse to buy another sander, but it
has actually lasted like this for years. Probably because it's incredibly
obnoxious to use now, and I don't use it any more than absolutely
necessary.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Jim Wilson

Alan W wrote...
I've only run the belt for about 2 minutes, VERY loud.

Link belts can be a good thing, but they are not a panacea. Here's my web
page about them:

http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/link_belts

Something does seem to be wrong in your setup; it's much noisier than it
should be.

Double-check that belt is not on backwards and make sure the belt is the
right size. Some sheaves don't take A-size belts.

Check the entire belt path that nothing is rubbing anywhere.

If your saw takes multiple belts, neighboring ones could be rubbing on
each other. Also in this case, be sure that all the belts should have the
same number of links.

Another potential problem is "non-co-planar" sheaves. Check with a
straight edge against the sides of the sheaves, or sight along the belt
path (with a mirror if needed).

That's what comes to mind first.

Good luck,

Jim
Mike Fairleigh

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Mike Fairleigh wrote:
I've also put it on my restored
1955 Delta/Rockwell 6" joiner, and it's a screamer, too.

I have the Fenners on my also restored '57ish Delta 6"
jointer. One of the things I noticed was that the belt rubs
up against the cast iron machine pulley guard.

Grrrr, if I had the guard, I s'pose I'd have *that* problem to contend with,
too. Lacking it, I just keep my hands clear

Mike

Alan W

I was able to cut the noise some buy shortening the belt and therefore
making it tighter, as only the weight of the motor tensions the belt.

I had to take the Jason Industrial link belt off the saw. The green
belt was not able to transmit the full power of the motor when cutting
some beech tonight, only 3/4" with my WWII.

I will take back the belt and see if they have any PowerTwist belt to
try. Last time they only had a 100' lenth!

Ouch

Alan
mac davis

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 16:20:25 GMT, Jim Wilson
wrote:

[...]

Jim.. thanks for the link, I enjoyed your web site and learned a few
more things..

I'm unclear about applications for link belts... do they only replace
flat or V belts, or can they be used on geared setups that have
"steps" on the inside of the belts..
One of your pictures seemed to be on a machine using a geared belt,
but I wasn't sure..

I have an old PowerKraft RAS and just found out that the sucker uses a
belt... had it for a few months and just figured that it was direct
drive until the belt started slipping...
It seems to be time to get a replacement belt and I was wondering if
it would be an advantage to go with a linked belt? (also, it might be
a bitch getting a stock belt)

mac davis

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:17:07 GMT, Jim Behning
wrote:

Folks havementioned they may not do so swell with small pulleys. You
can find almost any belt at McMaster Carr if you happen to be in the
USA.

snip
wow, that's quite a site!
I'll have to measure the belt before going back t their page, I like
the way it takes you a step at a time to (hopefully) the right belt..

BTW.. in USA, a few states west of ya.. Central Calif.

AAvK

wow, that's quite a site!
I'll have to measure the belt before going back t their page, I like
the way it takes you a step at a time to (hopefully) the right belt..

BTW.. in USA, a few states west of ya.. Central Calif.

What town? I live in southern central CA. 'bout 90 miles north from L.A.

Alex

mac davis

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:02:56 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:

wow, that's quite a site!
I'll have to measure the belt before going back t their page, I like
the way it takes you a step at a time to (hopefully) the right belt..

BTW.. in USA, a few states west of ya.. Central Calif.

What town? I live in southern central CA. 'bout 90 miles north from L.A.

Alex

We're in Clovis.. sort of a surrounded by Fresno...

AAvK

We're in Clovis.. sort of a surrounded by Fresno...

Just about west north west of me, Carpinteria here.

Alex

Jim Wilson

mac davis wrote...
Jim.. thanks for the link, I enjoyed your web site and learned a few
more things..

No sweat. Glad you found it useful.

I'm unclear about applications for link belts... do they only replace
flat or V belts, or can they be used on geared setups that have
"steps" on the inside of the belts..

They are designed to run only on standard v-belt sheaves.

One of your pictures seemed to be on a machine using a geared belt,
but I wasn't sure..

None of my machines with a link belt have cogged pulleys.

I was wondering if
it would be an advantage to go with a linked belt? (also, it might be
a bitch getting a stock belt)

Like Jim B. suggested, McMaster-Carr is a good source. MSC
(mscdirect.com) might have a better price on what you need, but with
those two companies, it's often a toss-up. They are both excellent
suppliers.

Jim
Jim Wilson

Alan W wrote...
I had to take the Jason Industrial link belt off the saw. The green
belt was not able to transmit the full power of the motor when cutting
some beech tonight, only 3/4" with my WWII.

Something is still amiss. Power transmission is not usually reduced by
link belts.

However, inadequate belt tension could certainly cause both the excessive
noise and the observed power loss. Now I'd guess that the real problem is
that link belts aren't well suited for applications where the belt
tension can't be adjusted.

I will take back the belt and see if they have any PowerTwist belt to
try. Last time they only had a 100' lenth!

McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) carries 5' lengths, but double-check
with them that it is still the PowerTwist brand. They often don't list
brand names in their catalog, and have been known to switch suppliers in
the past.

If low belt tension is the problem, though, switching brands probably
won't help much.

Good luck,

Jim
mac davis

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:19:16 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:

We're in Clovis.. sort of a surrounded by Fresno...

Just about west north west of me, Carpinteria here.

Alex

whoa! nice ocean/beach area...

AAvK

whoa! nice ocean/beach area...

Yeah, saw Meg Ryan a week ago tripping around on Linden ave., a piece of heaven.

Alex

A Womack

A Womack wrote in

Jason Industries responded to a tech request from my belt supplier to the
recommendation of NOT using the link belt due to the small sheave size and
recommended a AX series COG belt.

Since I have been running a COG belt for a while now and it is quite,
albeight quite good at transmitting the motor hop, I will be set.

Alan