Default Drying cedar for an outdoor project?

A few weeks ago I purchased some rough cut Western Red Cedar that I
plan to use for a small open-sided shelter (with metal roof) over the
barbeque on my patio. The wood was pretty fresh from the mill and was
outside in the rain for a while before I got it. Given that this will
be an outdoor structure I figured I could start construction right
away, and shouldn't have any problems with shrinking, warping, etc.
Does that sound correct, or should I dry the wood in my unheated
garage for a while? Thanks for your suggestions.

Glenn
Bob

"g" wrote in message

outside in the rain for a while before I got it. Given that this will
be an outdoor structure I figured I could start construction right
away, and shouldn't have any problems with shrinking, warping, etc.

My experience with unfinished cedar is that it will definitely shrink, once
placed in outdoor service full time. I didn't have too much trouble with
warping. I saw six inch wide boards shrink 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If your
project can tolerate that, you should be fine.

Bob

George

It'll shrink. Keep it out of the weather for 2-3 months if you have to have
a certain dimension anywhere. Of course you know that it will grow in wet
weather, shrink in dry, and shrivel in sun.

If it's just a privacy fence, nail it up with small/no gaps when wet or
green.

"Bob" wrote in message
link.net...