Larry

Default Bandsaw Guide Advice

I'm thinking about putting BandRollers (Woodcraft) on my Delta 14".
I'm using Cool Blocks now and I'm not impressed. Any pro's or con's
out there?
George

What're you doing with it? I cut a lot of green wood for turnings, resaw,
and do the occasional bandsaw box. For all but the last, ceramic guides are
the berries. Slick as goose sh*t, non-wearing, don't gum up, and
inexpensive. For the small blades I use cool blocks and enclose the teeth.

Anyone out there using the ceramic thrust "bearings" yet?

"Larry" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking about putting BandRollers (Woodcraft) on my Delta 14".
I'm using Cool Blocks now and I'm not impressed. Any pro's or con's
out there?

Greg G.

Larry said:

I'm thinking about putting BandRollers (Woodcraft) on my Delta 14".
I'm using Cool Blocks now and I'm not impressed. Any pro's or con's
out there?

That's a fair amount of money for something I've never found
necessary. Tweaking and technique gets more results than complexity
and expense. They are noisy, and subject to failure. Heck, I've gone
through 2 rear roller bearings in 6 months - I can't imagine having to
replace side rollers that often at $50 (and up) a pop.

For 1/16" blades, I use homemade solid oak blocks soaked in WD-40 with
the blade fully imbedded.

For re-sawing green wood, I use ceramic blocks and a 5/8" 3TPI heavy
alternate set blade. They help cut the resin off the blade.

For everything else, I either use ceramic or cool blocks. I have
noticed that the cool blocks don't fit the holders very well and do
wear somewhat.

The ceramics guides don't wear at all, but you have to be careful
about setting clearances, or they'll spark at the weld when the blade
gets hot (and expands).

Proper tension is also important - the guide on the saw is bogus.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Greg G.

George said:

snip
Anyone out there using the ceramic thrust "bearings" yet?

Not yet. I was wondering about those myself...

Greg G.
RonB

My 18" Jet came with what they called Euro guides which are essentially
large, round friction pads which are allowed to rotate and reduce wear. I
was predisposed to learning to use the saw with those and then upgrading to
rollers like the Carters. After using the stock guides for a year or so I
just forgot it. I can't see spending another $150 on guides that will
provide marginal improvement and more maintenance.

If I was into doing bandsaw projects day-in and day-out I might feel
differently.

Pat Barber

There is a "great" article on super tuning a bandsaw in
the current issue of FWW... I would read that article
before I made any expensive changes...

Larry wrote:
I'm thinking about putting BandRollers (Woodcraft) on my Delta 14".
I'm using Cool Blocks now and I'm not impressed. Any pro's or con's
out there?

Sam

Greg G. wrote in message . ..

For 1/16" blades, I use homemade solid oak blocks soaked in WD-40 with
the blade fully imbedded.

Greg G.

I used to have a sawmill with a 52" circular blade and always used
deer horn for the blade stabilizer as it seem to have the "oil" built
in and never overheated.
TWS

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:24:10 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

There is a "great" article on super tuning a bandsaw in
the current issue of FWW... I would read that article
before I made any expensive changes...

Yeah, that article certainly challenges most other literature related
to bandsaw tuning. I would like to hear from other bandsaw experts on
their view of that article.

TWS
http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm
Greg G.

Sam said:

Greg G. wrote in message . ..

For 1/16" blades, I use homemade solid oak blocks soaked in WD-40 with
the blade fully imbedded.

Greg G.

I used to have a sawmill with a 52" circular blade and always used
deer horn for the blade stabilizer as it seem to have the "oil" built
in and never overheated.

That is interesting, I've never tried deer horn. Probably never will,
however, because I don't have any deer horn in my scrap pile. ;-)

SWMBO would have a fit if she saw me stalking a deer for it's horns -
she's more likely to be caught feeding them apples. Not that either
is very likely, 'cause we live in a large, overcrowded metro city.

You know, now that I think about it, I remember hearing about a
herd(?) of deer trapped on I-75 in downtown Atlanta by the access
control fences and unable to escape. Made a mess of rush hour.
That's it - Road kill! ;-) Perhaps I'll get to try DH after all...

Greg G.
Woodcrafter

snip
Anyone out there using the ceramic thrust "bearings" yet?

Not yet. I was wondering about those myself...

This may help:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...uideblocks.htm

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 60 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Festool CT22E Dust Extractor
- Fasco GN-40A Brad Nailer
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction
- Milescraft SignCrafter
- Ryobi EMS1830SCL 12" SCMS
- Bessey K-Body Clamps

Greg G.

Greg G. said:

Larry said:

I'm thinking about putting BandRollers (Woodcraft) on my Delta 14".
I'm using Cool Blocks now and I'm not impressed. Any pro's or con's
out there?

That's a fair amount of money for something I've never found
necessary. Tweaking and technique gets more results than complexity
and expense...

You might also take a look at my Delta 28-206/276 Bandsaw page - there
might be some useful info for you the

http://www.thevideodoc.com/pbandsaw1.htm

FWIW,

Greg G.
John

Greg wrote:
Larry said:

[...]

I bought a pair of the rollers from Harbor Freight a while ago at a
tenth of the
$50 cost. Seemed worth a try at that price. However they are still in
the box (somewhere) as I continue to use the cool block type.
John