cg

Default A Harbor Freight Workshop

First, I have no connection with Harbor Freight. I often see comments
about HF, many times people just writing one line, without any real
experience. I hope this helps someone in their pursuit for creating
nice wood projects.

Background:
I have actually two small shops, as I have a summer home with a shop.
Both shops are in the garage. I am an amateur woodworker, but my boss
in my daytime job thinks my work is great. [It's nice to be
appreciated!]. I have a few stationary woodworking tools, and a
collection of powered hand tools. I learned most of my skills from my
dad, who is now legally blind, but still can create wood projects that
put many woodworkers [including me!] to shame.

I have bought a handful of items from Harbor Freight. And, as most
people on the boards say, you get what you pay for. I have found,
overall, the HF tools fit my needs. I have bought tools at the local
store, as well as mail order. As you will notice, I buy almost all
their items on sale. Patience will allow you to save some money. And
any HF buyer will know the trick about the suffixes when doing mail
order.

Here are my short reviews:

Sliding Compound Miter Saw ($100): I am very happy with mine. The
bevel and miter both cut square. The slide is reasonably smooth, I have
done minor work to have the guard slide a bit smoother. I have their
older model with the single slide. I probably would have opted for the
two shaft slide unit if that was available when I bought mine. The
electric brake is only medium and stops the blade at varying rates. I
have owned it for almost 3 years.

Band Saw ($80):
Bought a 3 wheel variable speed band saw about 10 years ago. Actually,
it was a gift. Changed the blade, tweaked in the rollers, and it works
fine. I will probably get a floor unit or a two wheel bench model
before long. I think of this more as a fat scroll saw than a band saw.

Drill Press ($50):
Bought a small table top drill press. Five speed with light and keyless
chuck. Swear they use a sewing machine motor for it. It's fine for
medium duty work. Anything really heavy, and you need to have a very
sharp tool and a tender touch. But I think that is true will all
machines.

Air Compressor ($100):
8 gallon 120 PSI. Works like a champ. Not a single leak in the set-up
from the compressor to the final valve. I have one, and am considering
a second unit for the second shop. VERY impressed. Have used it on site
as well as in the shop.

Brad Nailer($19)
Oh boy, is this a beauty. The only issue is it does not hold 1-1/4 inch
brads. Better check that, now that I think about it. I doesn't hold
the larger size that the Porter Cable did, which may be 1-1/2 inch. But
that has become a minor issue. Very happy with item.

Roofing Nailer ($120)
Junk. Fired no more than 10 nails in a row without jamming. Took it
back, and ended up using a Porter Cable.

Wet Stone Grinder ($40)
First one went back due to broken base. Second one is fine. Wheels
needed dressing, but I expected that.

Mortising Machine ($100)
I just received it. Contrary to complaints on this board, the spindle
and the fence is square to the table, and the plastic handles to lock
the table and hold-down are great. They do NOT get in the way on mine,
as they have a clever design on the lever type handle to lock the handle
in place as needed. They did appear to get in the way, until I figured
out how to install the handles. Only have cut a couple of test mortises
(mortici?). Will keep my chisels sharp and this will work nice.

Air Filter - Regulator - Oiler:
The one I bought was junk. Holds for fittings were tapped at an angle.
Leaks like a sieve. Unfortunately, I had it for almost 3 months before
it was installed. Lesson learned. Out 20 bucks.

Air Coiler/Retractor and hose.
Works fine. Swivel has a small leak. May fix it if I get some time.

Hand Tools:
One set of crescent style wrenches appeared to move backwards on the
thumb wheel. Screwdrivers set #1 had handles too small, opted for a
different set with bigger handles and am quite satisfied. Wood Handle
Chisels: Love them. Absolutely perfect. Hold an edge long enough for
me. Pliers: Some are okay. Some older ones had trouble loosening up at
the pivot. Clamps: Spring clamps and Pipe clamps. Fine. Get them on
sale. Bench Vise: Needed an inexpensive one for a special project. The
thread did not allow the jaws to move freely. Returned.

Biases:
I have some biases as there are some brands I like and some I dislike.
I have a Delta contractor saw which I love. I need a new table saw for
the second shop and may end up buying a HF saw. Have not decided yet.
I have a drill press that was bought from an industrial shop company
(Production Tool Supply) about 15 years ago that weighs about 12 tons...
just kidding ... but it is very nice. I have lots of Porter-Cable, all
of which I am very happy with ... Left handed circular saw, selection of
Air Nailers [all very nice], Router and Biscuit Joiner. All very nice,
comfortable, and work hard!

I will admit that I have literally thrown away some tools after I
decided the tool was either useless or dangerous. One was a bench top
Craftsman table saw (unsteady), a Craftsman router (the famous slipping
killer collet), Black and Decker Belt Sander (spent more time trying to
keep the belt on than sanding). I will admit those two Craftsman issues
have turned me 100% against Craftsman, and I will not consider any of
their tools in the future. I still have a Craftsman Radial Arm saw
which served it's purpose. But the Delta Contractors saw with the HF
SCMS make a better combination, so the RAS is collecting dust.

HF Conclusion:
As with all tools, from all companies, always open them up immediately,
and use them. You are part of their quality control program. Remember
when buying any product from overseas, that the steels, especially
castings, may have some opens pores, etc. You need to decided when you
receive the product, whether or not it will suit your needs. I may have
been lucky on some of my purchases, but I think part of it is realizing
that you may get something of inferior quality, and you need a game plan
if that should happen. In addition, you may need to "tweak in" the tool
after purchase. Be prepared for ESL (or third or more) instructions
that have been photocopied many times! I usually download the
instruction manual from their website before purchasing. If you can
live with all these issues, you can be happy with the HF tools.

BTW, I am not planning on responding to flames, crude comments, slams,
or other derogatory statements. If anyone has a specific question, I
would be glad to answer. Please post to newsgroup so all can benefit,

Best of luck to all woodworkers, and please be safe. Alcohol and power
tools do not mix.

-CG
RonB

Brad Nailer($19)
..............Very happy with item.

Others and myself have passed on some pretty good stories about their finish
nailers. The ones discussed cost a little more, but only mid $twenties. I
know a finish carpenter that has been using HF nailers for 2-3 years and
cannot wear one out.

Mortising Machine ($100)
Contrary to complaints on this board, the spindle and the fence is square
to the table, and the plastic handles to lock the table and hold-down
are great.

I bought one of these $100 sale items about three years ago on a whim. Have
been pleasantly surprised. Plenty of power, pretty good chisels and descent
lever force. I, however, am not as pleased with the hold down hardware.
Might just be an older model. Or maybe I'm just spoiled by a cousin's
Delta. Also the metal in the bushing that accepts the chisels seems a
little soft. Main thing is it consistently cuts square holes, and lines
them up faily well!

Rob V

And any HF buyer will know the trick about the suffixes when doing mail
order.

Just curious, what trick??

Unisaw A100

cg wrote:
Alcohol and power tools do not mix.

How do you thin your shellac?

UA100
Rolling Thunder

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:02:57 GMT, "Rob V" wrote:

And any HF buyer will know the trick about the suffixes when doing mail
order.

Just curious, what trick??

The only trick I know is if you find a deal online, you can print out
the sale item and get it at the retail store for the online sale
price.

Thunder

Sweet Sawdust

The skill of the Craftsman is more important then the quality of the tool.
With a little luck and a lot of skill and planning you can get good tools
every where, seems like you have found a good place to look at HF. Keep It
Up.
"cg" wrote in message
. 150...

[...]

Eric Ryder

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
ink.net...
The skill of the Craftsman is more important then the quality of the
tool.

snip

It doesn't matter how many times I tell my wife that....

Ian Dodd

cg wrote in message .150...
First, I have no connection with Harbor Freight. I often see comments
about HF, many times people just writing one line, without any real
experience. I hope this helps someone in their pursuit for creating
nice wood projects.

snip

So I looked at their site for a few items. Typed "machinists square"
into the search box and came up with a list of products, including
this one:

8 FT. x 9 FT. SQUARE CANOPY

Now, maybe it's the New Math, but since when does 8 X 9 constitute a
square?

Ian
patrick conroy

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:02:57 GMT, "Rob V" wrote:

Just curious, what trick??

They seem to (usually/sometimes/always) vary the suffix to denote a
sale item. If there's an algorithm, I don't know it. If I'm feeling
"sporty", I'll try some suffixes like "-4XU" or whatever seems to be
popular in that flyer, and see if I get a hit...

Yeah, I know...
But sniping HF is a little fun on a slow day...

jo4hn

Ian Dodd wrote:

cg wrote in message .150...

First, I have no connection with Harbor Freight. I often see comments
about HF, many times people just writing one line, without any real
experience. I hope this helps someone in their pursuit for creating
nice wood projects.

snip

So I looked at their site for a few items. Typed "machinists square"
into the search box and came up with a list of products, including
this one:

8 FT. x 9 FT. SQUARE CANOPY

Now, maybe it's the New Math, but since when does 8 X 9 constitute a
square?

Ian

To be sure, their web system is not the world's most sophisticated.
Search on "drill bits" and you get tons of drills. Go for "drill bit"
and you get all the bit sets. Simply varying plurals vs singulars gives
much different results. Good way to spend an afternoon. ;-)
j4
AAvK

So I looked at their site for a few items. Typed "machinists square"
into the search box and came up with a list of products, including
this one:
8 FT. x 9 FT. SQUARE CANOPY
Now, maybe it's the New Math, but since when does 8 X 9 constitute a
square?
Ian

The HF website is a unique animal among websites, something to work
with, takes some real intuition with the search terms, but they really
should improve it a lot.

Alex

RonB

Anyone notice that running into a neighbor or fellow woodworker at Harbor
Freight is probably like running into them at an adult theater or bookstore?

"Well.......I don't come here very much. Just curious." (sheepish)

Grandpa

Just like those who say they hate WalMart and campaign against their new
stores, but who secretly shop there after midnight when there's little
chance of them being caught by other WalMart haters.

RonB wrote:
Anyone notice that running into a neighbor or fellow woodworker at Harbor
Freight is probably like running into them at an adult theater or bookstore?

"Well.......I don't come here very much. Just curious." (sheepish)

David Hall

"AAvK" wrote in message news:jpxfd.44162$bk1.34718@fed1read05...
So I looked at their site for a few items. Typed "machinists square"
into the search box and came up with a list of products, including
this one:
8 FT. x 9 FT. SQUARE CANOPY
Now, maybe it's the New Math, but since when does 8 X 9 constitute a
square?
Ian

8 ft. high by 9 ft. square maybe???

David Hall

"RonB" wrote in message news:fr8gd.33565$EZ.27432@okepread07...
Anyone notice that running into a neighbor or fellow woodworker at Harbor
Freight is probably like running into them at an adult theater or bookstore?

"Well.......I don't come here very much. Just curious." (sheepish)

I wish they had one around here (Pittsburgh, PA all you Harbor Freight
execs reading this!). I'd proudly be seen shopping and saving there.

Dave Hall
mac davis

RonB wrote:
Anyone notice that running into a neighbor or fellow woodworker at Harbor
Freight is probably like running into them at an adult theater or bookstore?

"Well.......I don't come here very much. Just curious." (sheepish)

I just put in another order online with HF...
Their bar clamps might not be Jorgies, but I've used them for years
and they work..
Hard to not buy, at $2.00 for 6", $2.50 for 12" and so on, up to $6.00
for 36"...

AAvK

I just put in another order online with HF...
Their bar clamps might not be Jorgies, but I've used them for years
and they work..
Hard to not buy, at $2.00 for 6", $2.50 for 12" and so on, up to $6.00
for 36"...

Too true Mac, I went into an HF store and left with four 24" bar clamps
@ $3.49 each, they work well. Bought their handscrew clamps too, made in
Armenia and they work well, crappy made though. One screw binds a little
into the wood on one of them.

Alex

Lobby Dosser

RonB wrote:
Anyone notice that running into a neighbor or fellow woodworker at
Harbor Freight is probably like running into them at an adult
theater or bookstore?

"Well.......I don't come here very much. Just curious." (sheepish)

I just put in another order online with HF...
Their bar clamps might not be Jorgies, but I've used them for years
and they work..
Hard to not buy, at $2.00 for 6", $2.50 for 12" and so on, up to $6.00
for 36"...

All my pipe clamps came from HF. 3/4" at $2.49 on sale a few years back.
Fortunately I've got a store nearby. It's a great browsing place.

GregP

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:15:55 GMT, "Sweet Sawdust"
wrote:

One was a bench top
Craftsman table saw (unsteady), a Craftsman router (the famous slipping
killer collet), Black and Decker Belt Sander (spent more time trying to
keep the belt on than sanding). ...

Boy, I have both and both have the same problems.
I never knew that they were endemic.
John Doe

cg
. 150:

------: ----snipped for brevity

I have bought a handful of items from Harbor Freight. And, as
most people on the boards say, you get what you pay for. I have
found, overall, the HF tools fit my needs. I have bought tools
at the local store, as well as mail order. As you will notice,
I buy almost all their items on sale. Patience will allow you
to save some money. And any HF buyer will know the trick about
the suffixes when doing mail order.

Okay, I'll bite... What is the trick about suffixes?
Kevin Singleton

"David Hall" wrote in message
om...

I wish they had one around here (Pittsburgh, PA all you Harbor Freight
execs reading this!). I'd proudly be seen shopping and saving there.

Dave Hall

There's one in Youngstown. Let me know when you wanna go, and we'll split
the trip.

--
Kevin
-=#=-

- If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it
costs when it's free. -- P.J. O'Rourke (1993)

Andy Dingley

wrote:

but who secretly shop there after midnight when there's little
chance of them being caught by other WalMart haters.

If they all do that, won't they all meet each other ?

I do _not_ shop at Walmart / Asda.
The appearance during cooking of their Xenical by-product sausages (an
ocean of vile orange fat) was only one reason for this.