TP

Default Air Nailer question?

Looking to purchase an air nailer. Don’t want to rent or borrow
anymore. Want one that will cover most homeowner projects. I
am thinking ¾ -2” range. I could go for a framing nailer
separately. Should I buy a generic Chicago Pneumatic or go for
the top brands Porter Cable or Senco? Any opinions on these off
brands? Is it harder to find nails that fit?

Thanks
TP
Jim Behning

Define homeowner projects. I built a 36x72 barn. I used a Paslide
framing nail gun. I installed the shinges and use a roofing nail gun.
I installed T111 siding using the framing gun and galvanized siding
nails. I installed trim in the barn bath and tack room using a Paslode
trim gun. All nails available at Home Depot or Lowes. The shop I used
to work in had Senco guns that were nice. I installed oak flooring in
the house. I rented a Bostick pneumatic flooring nail gun. I have also
framed with Bostick framing guns. I don't like to buy toy tools for
serious tasks. Pawn shops let me get some of those good tools for less
than retail. Good tools have a suppply of parts. Cheap tools may not
have a parts supply available. That said I have not had to service any
of my nail guns except to clear some jams from the Paslode trim gun.

TP wrote:

Looking to purchase an air nailer. Don’t want to rent or borrow
anymore. Want one that will cover most homeowner projects. I
am thinking ¾ -2” range. I could go for a framing nailer
separately. Should I buy a generic Chicago Pneumatic or go for
the top brands Porter Cable or Senco? Any opinions on these off
brands? Is it harder to find nails that fit?

Thanks
TP

TP

Thanks Jim. I define home owner as you do, someone who builds
for himself. I don't need the nailers for a commercial business.
I just thought if I buy them (toys) and build my addition,
barn and few odd jobs, it would be okay. The next time I use the
nailers there could be a new fastening system on the market.

TP

TP wrote:

Looking to purchase an air nailer. Don’t want to rent or borrow
anymore. Want one that will cover most homeowner projects. I
am thinking ¾ -2” range. I could go for a framing nailer
separately. Should I buy a generic Chicago Pneumatic or go for
the top brands Porter Cable or Senco? Any opinions on these off
brands? Is it harder to find nails that fit?

Thanks
TP

mp

Pawn shops let me get some of those good tools for less
than retail.

I checked out some pawn shops once, hoping to latch on to a deal or two. The
stuff they were selling had the crap beat out of it and the prices were only
about 15% below retail. Some used items were actually priced higher in the
pawn shop than new items in a store.

Jim Behning

Yeah, yeah. I have gotten stuff at closer to 1/2 off and totally
functional. Some stuff a bit beatup, other stuff looking a bit used.
Your shopping experience may vary.

"mp" wrote:

Pawn shops let me get some of those good tools for less
than retail.

I checked out some pawn shops once, hoping to latch on to a deal or two. The
stuff they were selling had the crap beat out of it and the prices were only
about 15% below retail. Some used items were actually priced higher in the
pawn shop than new items in a store.

Jim Behning

Nothing new on the nailing front in the 10-15 years I have owned the
tools. Well maybe there is but my "old" tools still drive nails just
fine by me. Kind of like the 1980's vintage Delta and Rockwell tools
in the basement. They work the same as the ones we used in college and
and high school. More geegaws these days that I survived without.

TP wrote:

Looking to purchase an air nailer. Don’t want to rent or borrow
anymore. Want one that will cover most homeowner projects. I
am thinking ¾ -2” range. I could go for a framing nailer
separately. Should I buy a generic Chicago Pneumatic or go for
the top brands Porter Cable or Senco? Any opinions on these off
brands? Is it harder to find nails that fit?

Thanks
TP

Ron Truitt

I recently bought a Grizzly finish gun and it is ok. So is my Porter
cable stapler.

I go to an air tools dealer for nails and he has brand and generics both
for most guns.

RonT

RonB

I have owned a Porter Cable brad nailer for about 5 years and it is giving
me good service. It has been through a complete basement finish including
construction of a bar. Also several other fair-sized projects.

As far as framing nailers go, you have to use one a lot to get your money's
worth. My son and I framed up a 24' x 28' garage a few months ago with a
borrowed nailer. It was pretty much all over in two days. Had the loaner
not been available a rental might have been a good option.

"TP" wrote in message
Looking to purchase an air nailer. Don’t want to rent or borrow anymore.
Want one that will cover most homeowner projects. I am thinking ¾ -2”
range. I could go for a framing nailer separately. Should I buy a
generic Chicago Pneumatic or go for the top brands Porter Cable or Senco?
Any opinions on these off brands? Is it harder to find nails that fit?

Thanks
TP

Is a finish nailer a superset of a brad nailer? jtpr Woodworking 4 September 27th 04 11:15 PM
Nailer Query John Moorhead Woodworking 19 July 27th 04 09:16 PM
Multiple use nailer. PVR Home Repair 2 July 17th 03 11:46 AM
Air compressor/nail gun question Geo Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 02:33 AM