Eugene

J T wrote:

OK, could use a mitre saw. Will be making some (a lot) of cuts of
7 7/8" wide material (1/2" plywood), and a 10" mitre saw would work for
this - with a raised up, wooden base. I know, cause I measured. The
cuts will all be straight across.

But, at the same time, I could use a chop saw, for some tubing
cutting I will be doing.

I can't spare money for both. And, wouldn't be using either
constantly; or often after these two projects are done with. So, what
I'm thinking about is, getting a 14" chop saw, something along these
lines.
Then using a metal cutting blade for metal, and a 14" wood cutting blade
for my crosscuts. Yeah, I could use a saw sled, but this would be
handier for me, and would be used for other projects later.

I've been studying this, and can't see any reason it wouldn't
perform the task.

So, the question is:
Is there in fact any reason this idea will not work? Or, any safety
reasons I shouldn't do it?

But, remember, I'm not interested in "it's not the best tool for
the job" type of replies; or, it doesn't have a proper safety guard - I
already know all that. I'm asking because possibly someone has some
info on this type of thing I'm not aware of, that would make it a "not
to do" type of thing. Oh yeah, if you're gonna say it won't work, then
explain just "why" it won't work.

JOAT
Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Are you cutting steel or aluminum? I have an $88 Delta miter saw and when I
noticed the blade listed for wood or aluminum on it I had to try it and it
worked fine.

Al in WA

JT, I have a Dewalt 12' 705 that I used with a 10" metal cutting blade. It
worked O-K but I didn't use the Dust Collector when I cut metal pipe. I've
only done this the one time and it worked for cutting several 1/2"
electrical conduit for chimes. Whether it's recommended, I don't know but
it worked that one time.

Need input from others on this one.

Al in WA

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

patriarch

Can you find a 14" woodcutting blade for such a saw? And at what cost and
cut quality? Decent 12" blades are close to a hunnert dollars...

Blade flex at 14" would be a question, too. There are folks who think 12"
saws flex too much.

Given the low cost of 10" 'chop saws', you may be able to buy the 'wood
saw' for the cost of the blade for the 14" saw, and have something to
peddle on eBay later...

By the way, I completely agree with you on those uuuuugly tables you posted
about earlier.

Patriarch
Prometheus

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:02:53 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

[...]

I was looking at doing this- I already had a 10' miter saw, and
figured I could just get a metal cut-off wheel for it, but when I was
looking, it turned out that the arbors were just too different, and
the cut-off wheel would have ground against the inside of the saw's
shield. I just ended up cutting the [angle iron] steel I needed with
a hacksaw- it was a lot of doing, but I really didn't need the chop
saw. Another option is to get a metal die grinder, and then you could
get a biscuit cutter attachment for it later on- I used one for a
project some time ago, and the aftermarket attachment worked as well
as any dedicated biscuit cutter, as far as I could tell.

JOAT
Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

J T

Sun, Oct 24, 2004, 5:36am (EDT+4) patriarch
) queries:
Can you find a 14" woodcutting blade for such a saw? And at what cost
and cut quality? snip

Yup, the quality store - HF, $29.95. As As long as the cut is
straight by eye, no prob.

By the way, I completely agree with you on those uuuuugly tables you
posted about earlier.

But, I'm sure someone, somewhere, is gonna think they actually look
good.