Dan White

Default Engineered Floors vs. Solid Wood

Newbie question I guess, but what is NOFMA?

Also, I am going to be putting in a wood floor soon in my store and have
just started researching what to do. Are the engineered floors that much
worse or any worse than solid wood? I've been told that they sound about
the same when you walk on them, but you can't sand the engineered floor
much.

I have a terrazo floor now that I want to cover in wood and was told that if
I have solid wood that I will need to anchor plywood down to the terrazo
(ie, concrete) first and will end up with a 1.5" change in floor height. I
was also told that the engineered floor can be glued directly down to the
terrazo without a problem. I want to take the cheaper and easier route if
at all possible. Of course I don't want a crappy job that will come apart
on me in 2 years, but I am not a purist that requires the best of the best
either. I just have a business to run and need a decent wood floor. Am I
asking for trouble in going with the engineered floor glued or maybe even
floated directly on the terrazo? (There are no grout lines on the
terrazo...it is basically smooth concrete throughout). BTW, I don't care
for Pergo type floors because they look and sound too fake. I'm assuming
that the engineered floor is pretty much indistinguishable from solid.

Thanks,
dwhite

Ba r r y

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:28:13 GMT, "Dan White"
wrote:

Newbie question I guess, but what is NOFMA?

http://www.nofma.org/

Barry
Dan White

wrote:

Newbie question I guess, but what is NOFMA?

http://www.nofma.org/

Barry

Thanks, but another dumb question. All over this site I keep seeing NOFMA:
The Wood Flooring Manufacturer's Association. What the heck is the NO?
Natural Oak? It is a little odd that they never properly identify the name
of the organization. Maybe I am missing something?

dwhite

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dan White" wrote in message
Also, I am going to be putting in a wood floor soon in my store and have
just started researching what to do. Are the engineered floors that much
worse or any worse than solid wood? I've been told that they sound about
the same when you walk on them, but you can't sand the engineered floor
much.

A good engineered wood floor should last 15 or 20 years beofre sanding the
first time.

I have a terrazo floor now that I want to cover in wood and was told that
if
I have solid wood that I will need to anchor plywood down to the terrazo
(ie, concrete) first and will end up with a 1.5" change in floor height.

This is true.

was also told that the engineered floor can be glued directly down to the
terrazo without a problem.

Maybe, maybe not. on grade or below, it is suggested by most manufactureres
to use a barrier and then float the floor. I did that inmy family room and
downstairs hallway. The floor has been in about15 months now and we realy
like it.

No. You can dowload the instruction for my floor at www.mannington.com
Many brand around, but this suited us.

(There are no grout lines on the
terrazo...it is basically smooth concrete throughout). BTW, I don't care
for Pergo type floors because they look and sound too fake. I'm assuming
that the engineered floor is pretty much indistinguishable from solid.

To me, it has little or no sound. Feels like walking on a real wood floor.
Actually, it is real wood. Random lengths in some boxes to keep the seams
mixed, color variations like real wood. I'd do it again.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Tim Douglass

wrote:

Newbie question I guess, but what is NOFMA?

National Organization of Flooring MAnufacturers?

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Dan White

wrote:

Newbie question I guess, but what is NOFMA?

National Organization of Flooring MAnufacturers?

I guess. Sounds as good as anything else!

dwhite

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com