Dan White

Default Engineered Floors vs. Solid Wood

Newbie question I guess, but what is NOFMA?

Also, I am going to be putting in a wood floor soon in my store and have
just started researching what to do. Are the engineered floors that much
worse or any worse than solid wood? I've been told that they sound about
the same when you walk on them, but you can't sand the engineered floor
much.

I have a terrazo floor now that I want to cover in wood and was told that if
I have solid wood that I will need to anchor plywood down to the terrazo
(ie, concrete) first and will end up with a 1.5" change in floor height. I
was also told that the engineered floor can be glued directly down to the
terrazo without a problem. I want to take the cheaper and easier route if
at all possible. Of course I don't want a crappy job that will come apart
on me in 2 years, but I am not a purist that requires the best of the best
either. I just have a business to run and need a decent wood floor. Am I
asking for trouble in going with the engineered floor glued or maybe even
floated directly on the terrazo? (There are no grout lines on the
terrazo...it is basically smooth concrete throughout). BTW, I don't care
for Pergo type floors because they look and sound too fake. I'm assuming
that the engineered floor is pretty much indistinguishable from solid.

Thanks,
dwhite