J. Dent

Default Fence for Scrollsaw?

I've been playing around with making some "bandsaw boxes" using my
scrollsaw.
I can do most of it but I need something like a fence on the scroll saw to
cut the straight cuts.
I experimented with piece of wood held by a couple of clamps as a test but
it moved during the cut.
I don't particularly want to drill into the saw base.
I thought maybe double-sided tape to the base but it would be good if it
could be adjusted simply for different widths.
Anyone have any thoughts.

Thanks Jaz.

Kevin Daly

While it is possible to set up a fence on a scroll saw, this is not the best
method. You will need to adjust for blade drift every time you change a blade.
As far as straigh t cuts on the scrollsaw, they are possible with a lot of
practice....or get as close as possible (staying outside the cut) and use a
stationary belt/disc sander (works for me).
George

I sometimes clamp a point fence to mine. A stick with 45 on the end allows
me to pivot to go with the lead and helps steady the cut. Same principle as
point fence on a bandsaw.

"Kevin Daly" wrote in message
While it is possible to set up a fence on a scroll saw, this is not the

best
method. You will need to adjust for blade drift every time you change a

blade.
As far as straigh t cuts on the scrollsaw, they are possible with a lot

of
practice....or get as close as possible (staying outside the cut) and use

stationary belt/disc sander (works for me).

CW

A little trick: Scroll saw blades always tend to cut to the right (as you
face the saw). After mounting a new blade, turn the saw on and run a fine
stone lightly up the right side of the blade. It will then cut strait.

"Kevin Daly" wrote in message
While it is possible to set up a fence on a scroll saw, this is not the

best
method. You will need to adjust for blade drift every time you change a

blade.
As far as straigh t cuts on the scrollsaw, they are possible with a lot

of
practice....or get as close as possible (staying outside the cut) and use

stationary belt/disc sander (works for me).

Dusty Workshop

I have thought about this too...at least ubtil i got my bandsaw.
It seems to me that a piece of 1" x say 15" (or appropriate length fr
your saws table top) clamped with spring clamps would work and be very
eaasy to adjust. I had alos thought that the blade drift issue could
be overcome by using a larger type spiral blade. Spirals cut in any
direction so there is really no drift. I haven't tried this though.
Please post your findings b/c you my brother are the guinea pig!

Here are some good scroll saw related links too:

http://www.workshopbuzz.com/forum/

http://justwoodworking.com/

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/cat...ml?catref=wd38

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/index.php?