jo4hn

Default Ark

Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for
two days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke
alert). Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple
inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the top
but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a major
problem. Twitch.
mahalo (shut up and keep bailing)
jo4hn
JAW

jo4hn woke up and had the following words of wisdom ....:

Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for
two days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke
alert). Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple
inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the top
but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a major
problem. Twitch.
mahalo (shut up and keep bailing)
jo4hn

From A GIS:

cubit
a historic unit of distance frequently mentioned in the Bible. The word
comes from the Latin cubitum, "elbow," because the unit represents the
length of a man's forearm from his elbow to the tip of his outstretched
middle finger. This distance tends to be about 18 inches or roughly 45
centimeters. In ancient times, the cubit was usually defined to equal 24
digits or 6 palms. The Egyptian royal or "long" cubit, however, was equal
to 28 digits or 7 palms. In the English system, the digit is conventionally
identified as 3/4 inch; this makes the ordinary cubit exactly 18 inches
(45.72 centimeters). The Roman cubit was shorter, about 44.4 centimeters
(17.5 inches). The ordinary Egyptian cubit was just under 45 centimeters,
and most authorities estimate the royal cubit at about 52.35 centimeters
(20.61 inches).

--
Theres a little man in my head, saying things better left unsaid.
WoodMangler

jo4hn did say:

Anybody know how long a cubit is?

Half the length of a doublecubit.
Twice the length of a semicubit.
Ten times the length of a decicubit.
Twelve times the length of an imperial inchubit.

And most accurately, while still maintaining appropriate
rudeness, the length from my elbow to my extended middle
finger.

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

John McCoy

jo4hn wrote in news:SWudd.2167$KJ6.1744
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Anybody know how long a cubit is?

Forecasts are for 10-15 inches

That's about a cubit. A little on the short side, perhaps.

John

patriarch

jo4hn wrote in
ink.net:

Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for
two days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke
alert). Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple
inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the top
but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a major
problem. Twitch.
mahalo (shut up and keep bailing)
jo4hn

One can fudge the cubit measurement, but where are you going to get the
gopherwood in time?

Seriously now, isn't this the same terrain that burned badly last year?
How's the vegetation? Are you expecting mudslide problems?

Patriarch
Bob Schmall

"J T" wrote in message
Wed, Oct 20, 2004, 2:50pm (EDT+4) (jo4hn) asks:
Anybody know how long a cubit is? snip

Isn't that an imitation diamond?

I thought that was "anneal"

Bob

Bob Schmall

"jo4hn" wrote in message
ink.net...
Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for two
days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke alert).

Too late.

Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple
inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the top
but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a major
problem. Twitch.
mahalo (shut up and keep bailing)
jo4hn

Yow--is anyone evacuating? Have there been slides?
Hope you're safe.
Bob

jtpr

No, that's what you do in church...

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

If you want to reply by email its -- ryan at jimryan dot com
Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

"J T" wrote in message
Wed, Oct 20, 2004, 2:50pm (EDT+4) (jo4hn) asks:
Anybody know how long a cubit is? snip

Isn't that an imitation diamond?

I thought that was "anneal"

Bob

jtpr

Also,

1 yard = distance from the queen's nose to the queens outstretched index
finger.

Told to me by an old British mechanic, after I insulted him buy asking if my
1964 MGB was metric.

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

"Hey baby, come up to my place, I'm hung like a cubit... "

If you want to reply by email its -- ryan at jimryan dot com
Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

"jo4hn" wrote in message
ink.net...
Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for

two
days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke alert).

Too late.

Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple
inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the top
but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a major
problem. Twitch.
mahalo (shut up and keep bailing)
jo4hn

Yow--is anyone evacuating? Have there been slides?
Hope you're safe.
Bob

jo4hn

patriarch wrote:
[snip]

One can fudge the cubit measurement, but where are you going to get the
gopherwood in time?

No prob. We have lots of gophers here.

Seriously now, isn't this the same terrain that burned badly last year?
How's the vegetation? Are you expecting mudslide problems?

Patriarch

This is indeed the burn area. However, it didn't get much closer than a
mile of my house. Plus I am on high ground. As to vegetation, the
forest service sowed a bunch of fast growing grasses that have good root
systems. I doesn't look very pretty in the burn areas but then it never
did. They have evacuated a lot of the canyon areas that weren't already
evacuated due to the fire danger. Mudslides are a constant problem in
lower elevations.
mahalo,
jo4hn
jo4hn

Bob Schmall wrote:
[snip]

Yow--is anyone evacuating? Have there been slides?
Hope you're safe.
Bob

There have been some slides and flooding. The national forest areas
were evacuated a week or two ago due to the extreme fire danger (no rain
for 6 months). When it did start raining, more lower elevation canyons
were evacuated due to flood problems. The TV news folks are having a
collective orgasm over the "disaster". "Storm Watch", "team coverage",
etc. Wow. Even the BBC gets caught up in this stuff.

Maggy and I are just fine. We are far enough up that we won't have a
problem. A couple of roads out of here are blocked because of mudslides
but Caltrans should have them open by this afternoon.
mahalo,
jo4hn

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:50:26 GMT, jo4hn wrote:

Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for
two days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke
alert). Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple
inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the top
but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a major
problem. Twitch.
mahalo (shut up and keep bailing)
jo4hn

from your elbow to the tip of your extended middle finger.
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:52:11 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:45:52 GMT, "Bob Schmall"
calmly ranted:

I thought that was "anneal"

In any case, she won't last forever. Why give 'er a diamond?

"Diamonds...cause she'll prety much have to"...

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:00:29 -0400, "jtpr" wrote:

1 yard = distance from the queen's nose to the queens outstretched index
finger.

James I, not Brenda.

A very well-calibrated king. He was supposedly six foot across, six
foot high, his thumb was exactly an inch across and his feet were
precisely a foot long.

In reality he was a shortarse (from his armour) and a religious
disaster.

--
Smert' spamionam
Silvan

jo4hn wrote:

alert). Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple
inches of [EXPLETIVE DELETED] tonight here in the mountains. We are OK

here on the top

Sir, there are children present, and I will thank you not to use such
profanity.

[EXPLETIVE DELETED] already? In OCTOBER? Crikey. Wherever you live, I
don't wanna move there.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
jo4hn

jo4hn wrote:
Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for
two days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke
alert). Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple
inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the top
but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a major
problem. Twitch.
mahalo (shut up and keep bailing)
jo4hn

From the more-than-you-ever-wanted-to-know department, the following
url was supplied by a friend of mine:

http://www.sover.net/~rc/deep_secrets/cubit/

good grief,
j4
Charlie Self

Andy Dingley writes:

James I, not Brenda.

A very well-calibrated king. He was supposedly six foot across, six
foot high, his thumb was exactly an inch across and his feet were
precisely a foot long.

In reality he was a shortarse (from his armour) and a religious
disaster.

Aren't they all? We've got one now.

Charlie Self
"There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other
is pulling up." Booker T. Washington
Pat Barber

Ahhhhh...the famous math solution, when in fact some
dumb ass carpenter took a stick, made two marks on it
and said "that looks about right"....

jo4hn wrote:

jo4hn wrote:

Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for
two days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke
alert). Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple
inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the
top but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a
major problem. Twitch.
mahalo (shut up and keep bailing)

Doug Miller

In article , Pat Barber wrote:
Ahhhhh...the famous math solution, when in fact some
dumb ass carpenter took a stick, made two marks on it
and said "that looks about right"....

Heck, it's not even that complicated: a cubit is the distance from your elbow
to your fingertip.

jo4hn wrote:

jo4hn wrote:

Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for
two days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke
alert). Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple
inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the
top but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a
major problem. Twitch.
mahalo (shut up and keep bailing)

--
Regards,

John McCoy

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

James I, not Brenda.

In reality he was a shortarse (from his armour) and a religious
disaster.

James-the-first-and-sixth was a religious disaster? I thought that
was James II, the one that came before Williamandmary?

John
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:45:32 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

James-the-first-and-sixth was a religious disaster? I thought that
was James II, the one that came before Williamandmary?

Well they both were. James II probably the worst, but James I was
responsible for setting up many of the initial conditions.

Robert Bonomi

In article . net,
jo4hn wrote:
Anybody know how long a cubit is? Been raining cats and dogs here for
two days now. I know 'cause I just stepped into a poodle (old joke
alert).

In Val-speak, that's been described as "grody, to the _Manx_!"

Forecasts are for 10-15 inches of rain topped off by a couple
inches of snow tonight here in the mountains. We are OK here on the top
but folks lower down in the canyons and on the alluvium have a major
problem. Twitch.

31 years ago, the end of June, west-central Iowa got 28" of rain in less
than 24 hours. And something like 16" more the next day.

The Racoon River -- which under normal circumstances was suited for
canoeing, but not big/deep enough for a ski-boat -- was making like the
Mississippi. I spent nearly 72 hours non-stop on sand-bag detail, helping
build levee more than 1-1/2 _miles_ away from the cut that the river normally
ran in part of the bottom of. (It was spread about that far on the _other_
side of the cut, too!) The crest was something like 48-1/2 _feet_ above
normal.

Then there was the Spring of 1967. We had rain, _every_day_, for THIRTY-NINE
CONSECUTIVE DAYS. When the 'streak' was into its 5th week, 'cubits' and
related construction was a _frequent_ subject of conversation. By the *sixth*
week, there was near-daily discussion in the local newspaper, and on the TV
News. On 'day 40', the weather (or lack thereof _was_ the lead story.

Funny part was that there wasn't any flooding associated with that spell of
weather. Was a miserable time for us school-kids -- and, of course, stressful
on the parents of school-age children. Lots of days started out merely
'partly cloudy', with the overcast building in late-morning, and a miserable,
_drizzly_ rain starting somewhere around 2:00-2:30 in the afternoon. There
we were, trapped in the classrooms, looking out at that nice sun-shine all
morning, and watching things degrade to 'yucky' by the time school got out.
light rain _all_ week-end, too.