Jac

Default It was bound to happen...

I knew that at some point I would build something in my basement that
I would not be able to get out. The too narrow stairs come down
around an awkward corner.

The trestle for the new dining room table is now stuck. As I was
glueing in the stretchers, I had a niggling feeling that I was
overlooking something important.... but there have been so many close
calls before that all ended happily.

I will try to savage the situation by taking out the basement stairs,
Perhaps grinding away part of the foundation at the critical corner is
an option. Or we may simply have thankgiving dinner in the basement.

But if i can't get it out, I don't know what I will do: a solid cherry
worktable seems extravagant for a hobbyshop, but what else am I going
to do with it?

remind me why we like this sport?

FMA
Tom

Jac wrote:I knew that at some point I would build something in my basement
that
I would not be able to get out. The too narrow stairs come down
around an awkward corner.

The trestle for the new dining room table is now stuck. As I was
glueing in the stretchers, I had a niggling feeling that I was
overlooking something important.... but there have been so many close
calls before that all ended happily.

I will try to savage the situation by taking out the basement stairs,
Perhaps grinding away part of the foundation at the critical corner is
an option. Or we may simply have thankgiving dinner in the basement.

But if i can't get it out, I don't know what I will do: a solid cherry
worktable seems extravagant for a hobbyshop, but what else am I going
to do with it?

remind me why we like this sport?

'Cause it's filled with learning experiences? Tom
Work at your leisure!
Juergen Hannappel

(Jac) writes:

[...]

But if i can't get it out, I don't know what I will do: a solid cherry
worktable seems extravagant for a hobbyshop, but what else am I going
to do with it?

Convert it to a folding table...

--
Dr. Juergen Hannappel
http://lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hannappe
loutent

Hi Jac,

This may be a way off base suggestion, but maybe not. I suggested it to
my niece who was trying to get her pool table down into the basement in
her new house. She thinks I'm crazy.

Anyhow, if you have carpeting anywhere above the basement, pull back
the carpeting, pull out the underlayment (hoping it's not glued down),
saw a floor joist and pull it up. Sister in a new joist when replacing.

It may seem radical, but I think its easier than taking out the
staircase or foundation.

Lou

In article , Jac
wrote:

I knew that at some point I would build something in my basement that
I would not be able to get out. The too narrow stairs come down
around an awkward corner.

The trestle for the new dining room table is now stuck. As I was
glueing in the stretchers, I had a niggling feeling that I was
overlooking something important.... but there have been so many close
calls before that all ended happily.

I will try to savage the situation by taking out the basement stairs,
Perhaps grinding away part of the foundation at the critical corner is
an option. Or we may simply have thankgiving dinner in the basement.

But if i can't get it out, I don't know what I will do: a solid cherry
worktable seems extravagant for a hobbyshop, but what else am I going
to do with it?

remind me why we like this sport?

FMA

Jack Casuso

Hey look at the bright side of this, it now gives you a reason to put in a
bilco type basement entrance. Just think how much easier it will be to
bring down supplies and take out projects.
"Jac" wrote in message
om...
I knew that at some point I would build something in my basement that
I would not be able to get out. The too narrow stairs come down
around an awkward corner.

The trestle for the new dining room table is now stuck. As I was
glueing in the stretchers, I had a niggling feeling that I was
overlooking something important.... but there have been so many close
calls before that all ended happily.

I will try to savage the situation by taking out the basement stairs,
Perhaps grinding away part of the foundation at the critical corner is
an option. Or we may simply have thankgiving dinner in the basement.

But if i can't get it out, I don't know what I will do: a solid cherry
worktable seems extravagant for a hobbyshop, but what else am I going
to do with it?

remind me why we like this sport?

FMA

RonB

This is probably crazy but is your basement unfinished? If so, and if you
have an open staircase, can you modify the stairs? This might help with
future projects.

Years ago moved into an older neighborhood and a neighbor asked if I'd like
to see his project. As we started into his basement I noticed the older
home had a unusually wide wooden staircase. I didn't notice until later the
staircase was aligned with a larger than normal door to the garage. He was
in the final stages of building a T-Bucket roadster in the middle of his
garage! Moreover, this was his second basement hot rod. He had worked on
this one for about two years. He did the welding and dirty engine work in
their small garage, moved components downstairs and did detail, fab and
assembly work in a very comfortable and well appointed basement shop. After
final fab and fit he disassembled to major assemblies, carted them upstairs
and reassembled. Apparenetly this final process had only taken a week or
two on #1 rod. He had even rigged a pretty neat sled and that allowed him
to winch engine and transmission up and down the wooden stairs, bold on
casters, and roll them about in the garage or shop.

When there is desire, there is a way.

"Jac" wrote in message
om...
I knew that at some point I would build something in my basement that
I would not be able to get out. The too narrow stairs come down
around an awkward corner.

The trestle for the new dining room table is now stuck. As I was
glueing in the stretchers, I had a niggling feeling that I was
overlooking something important.... but there have been so many close
calls before that all ended happily.

I will try to savage the situation by taking out the basement stairs,
Perhaps grinding away part of the foundation at the critical corner is
an option. Or we may simply have thankgiving dinner in the basement.

But if i can't get it out, I don't know what I will do: a solid cherry
worktable seems extravagant for a hobbyshop, but what else am I going
to do with it?

remind me why we like this sport?

FMA

RonB

Modify to read... "middle of his basement!"

"RonB" wrote in message
This is probably crazy but is your basement unfinished? If so, and if you
have an open staircase, can you modify the stairs? This might help with
future projects.

Years ago moved into an older neighborhood and a neighbor asked if I'd
like to see his project. As we started into his basement I noticed the
older home had a unusually wide wooden staircase. I didn't notice until
later the staircase was aligned with a larger than normal door to the
garage. He was in the final stages of building a T-Bucket roadster in the
middle of his basement! Moreover, this was his second basement hot rod.
He had worked on this one for about two years. He did the welding and
dirty engine work in their small garage, moved components downstairs and
did detail, fab and assembly work in a very comfortable and well appointed
basement shop. After final fab and fit he disassembled to major
assemblies, carted them upstairs and reassembled. Apparenetly this final
process had only taken a week or two on #1 rod. He had even rigged a
pretty neat sled and that allowed him to winch engine and transmission up
and down the wooden stairs, bold on casters, and roll them about in the
garage or shop.

When there is desire, there is a way.

"Jac" wrote in message
om...
I knew that at some point I would build something in my basement that
I would not be able to get out. The too narrow stairs come down
around an awkward corner.

The trestle for the new dining room table is now stuck. As I was
glueing in the stretchers, I had a niggling feeling that I was
overlooking something important.... but there have been so many close
calls before that all ended happily.

I will try to savage the situation by taking out the basement stairs,
Perhaps grinding away part of the foundation at the critical corner is
an option. Or we may simply have thankgiving dinner in the basement.

But if i can't get it out, I don't know what I will do: a solid cherry
worktable seems extravagant for a hobbyshop, but what else am I going
to do with it?

remind me why we like this sport?

FMA

GTO69RA4

Mr. Mulligan's Steam Shovel.

GTO(John)
Grandpa

Don't feel bad. Many many years ago a neighbor who was an engineer
(docks & piers in Seattle etc) & built a small fishing boat that
resembled a tug. Had an in-line 4-banger eng. Beautiful craftsmanship.
Built it in his double garage (tri-level home w/ 2 garage doors &
garage below part of the house) that had a support pillar between them.
Naturally the boat turned out when completed to be 3" wider than the
doorway. He'd forgotten to take into account the final trim pieces on
the sides, and of course they were already glued, screwed and painted.
He'd forgotten his own change order! He of course added a temp support
piller, removed the original setup & got the boat out but the point is,
it can happen to anyone.
Grandpa John

Jac wrote:
I knew that at some point I would build something in my basement that
I would not be able to get out. The too narrow stairs come down
around an awkward corner.

The trestle for the new dining room table is now stuck. As I was
glueing in the stretchers, I had a niggling feeling that I was
overlooking something important.... but there have been so many close
calls before that all ended happily.

I will try to savage the situation by taking out the basement stairs,
Perhaps grinding away part of the foundation at the critical corner is
an option. Or we may simply have thankgiving dinner in the basement.

But if i can't get it out, I don't know what I will do: a solid cherry
worktable seems extravagant for a hobbyshop, but what else am I going
to do with it?

remind me why we like this sport?

FMA

Prometheus

On 15 Oct 2004 21:50:23 GMT, (GTO69RA4) wrote:

Mr. Mulligan's Steam Shovel.

ROFL!!!

GTO(John)

Unisaw A100

Two stories come to mind.

Bob Methalis built a Jake's chair. It was painted the
requisite green. It was beautiful. It was too big. It
stayed in the shop as a shop chair. He never let himself
live it down. He eventually sold the house and I think it's
still there.

A couple/few years back there was a guy who needed to get
some 'chinery down stairs. He cut a hole in the family room
floor, located some scaffolding over the hole and winched it
down from there. Pictures of this little excursion were
posted on Al Gore's Whirled Wild Web.

Sorry. No solutions. Just thought you'd like to know you
have company.

UA100, who might be adding onto the basement shoppe and
would like a 48" wide garage entrance to the shoppe but
knows the added expense might put the kibosh on the whole
thing...
J T

Fri, Oct 15, 2004, 7:56pm (EDT-2) jsdebooATcomcast.net (Grandpa) says:
snip the boat turned out when completed to be 3" wider than the
doorway. snip He of course added a temp support piller, removed the
original setup & got the boat out but the point is, it can happen to
anyone.

I've heard of that happening, and similar solutions. And, then,
after all that, the builders realized that if they'd just tipped it a
bit, it would gone out.

JOAT
Flush the Johns.
- seen on a bumper sticker

Lazarus Long

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:26:00 GMT, "Jack Casuso"
wrote:

Hey look at the bright side of this, it now gives you a reason to put in a
bilco type basement entrance. Just think how much easier it will be to
bring down supplies and take out projects.

What's a "bilco type basement entrance?"

Lazarus Long

Boy, what a painful experience this is for you. My condolences.

I am very fortunate to have stairs that go straight down to my
basement shop. There was only once that I built a project so large as
to concern me about it removal from said shop. I took measurement
after measurement double checking as much as possible.

What I'm thinking is that either your project has to get some creative
modifications or some parts rebuilt.

If changing the project in any way isn't possible, then some changes
to the house will have to be done, assuming you don't want to leave
the table in the basement.

To be honest, from my POV, dining tables ought to have removeable
portions just to make it easier or even possible to get in and out of
a room. I built a plain old Shaker style table, about as ordinary in
design as can be, but made sure the legs were removeable. Otherwise
it may still live in my basement. Or be unable to pass the average
doorway.

I've toured through the new houses of family and friends, and just
don't understand why the stairs to the basement are positioned so
poorly from a getting stuff in and out POV. Whatever happened to
straight in? Whatever happened to good old trap doors accessible from
outside? That last idea was very common in the neighborhood I grew up
in. My sisters house has the basement stairs off a narrow central
hallway in her house. For me, no matter how nice that house or others
like it is, makes it impossible to ever buy without adding an
additional easy access. If the house has a basement, it should be
easily used.

On 15 Oct 2004 09:52:33 -0700, (Jac) wrote:

I knew that at some point I would build something in my basement that
I would not be able to get out. The too narrow stairs come down
around an awkward corner.

The trestle for the new dining room table is now stuck. As I was
glueing in the stretchers, I had a niggling feeling that I was
overlooking something important.... but there have been so many close
calls before that all ended happily.

I will try to savage the situation by taking out the basement stairs,
Perhaps grinding away part of the foundation at the critical corner is
an option. Or we may simply have thankgiving dinner in the basement.

But if i can't get it out, I don't know what I will do: a solid cherry
worktable seems extravagant for a hobbyshop, but what else am I going
to do with it?

remind me why we like this sport?

FMA

mark

What's a "bilco type basement entrance?"

Bilco is a brand name for those metal doors that lie on the ground outside
the basement at a slight angle, and cover your sunken stairwell to the
basement.

http://www.bilco.com

loutent

I am in better humor about this today. At SWMBO's urging (after she
quit laughing her ass off), i have not gone back down into the
basement to stare at this for a couple of days. I will go back
tomorrow and see if a new day brings new vision...

This is what I do - take a few deep breaths and a few days to put it in
perspective. Nothing is ever as bad as you think it is - unless of
course you are a pro and your reputation is involved!

Otherwise, the absolute worse case is that you cut it up, re-use what
you can and do it over. No big deal in the long run - and think of the
great story you can tell while sitting around (the new) dining room
table at Thanksgiving & Christmas for many years to come...

A little sappy, but true.

Lou
Doug Miller

In article , patriarch wrote:
(Jac) wrote in
. com:

I have considered this... and suprisingly SWMBO is open to the idea.
A trapdoor that opens into the basement that can be covered with a
rug.

of course, SWMBO wants a kiln down there for her pottery, so she is
merely thinking ahead.

So I'm guessing shop heat won't be a problem...

And you'll have a convenient place to dispose of scrap wood, too.

--
Regards,

Grant P. Beagles

Now THAT takes me back!!! I loved that book as a kid.

Grant

GTO69RA4 wrote:

Mr. Mulligan's Steam Shovel.

GTO(John)

patrick conroy

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:43:06 -0500, "Grant P. Beagles"
wrote:

Now THAT takes me back!!! I loved that book as a kid.

Mike Mulligan and Mary Anne. My oldest is into that one too. He also
likes Ferdinand, another oldie. The only problem w/ Ferd is that when
we get to the part where he sits on a bumblebee, my son jumps around
on the bed as if he was stung.

Kind'a takes the point out of "calming down" to fall asleep.