Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tom Watson

Default The Wreck - And Politics - And A New Pledge

Over the course of the past few months I have initiated a number of
threads about Politics.

In some cases I just sailed off the paper airplane and watched what
happened.

In other instances I have provided interlinear encouragement to keep
the thread active.

Th Debil made me do it.

During the same compass of time I have started threads that were
solely about WoodDorking.

While the Political threads bloomed and branched, in sum total
creating over a thousand responses - the WoodDorking threads yielded
less than a hundred.

We pretend, us Wreckers, to despise the intercession of the Politic -
yet we jump all over it like a starving dog on a meatwagon.

We lie to ourselves.

From November of 1994 until three months ago, I said nary a word about
Politics on the Wreck.

On the odd instance that I referred to it at all, it was with
disapprobation.

Still, we stewed in the discussions from time to time and all of us
were culpable.

Do I think that the Wreck should be "Politics Free"? Of course not.
That would be unnatural - and I have always found the Wreck to be the
most natural realm of public discourse - given that its main intent is
that of WoodDorking.

I have heard the Wreck described as a neigborhood tavern, mostly
frequented by WoodDorkers.

I have seen it described as a simulacrum of a country store, with a
fine pot-bellied stove, around which we all gather to spin our tales
and trade information - mostly about WoodDorking.

Most of us had Mommas that educated us to the degree that we would not
introduce The Big Three into conversations with either strangers or
friends - Sex, Religion, and Politics. Lordy, were we not paying
attention?

Y'all do what you want - my personal experiment with talking Politics
on the Wreck is over.

You have my personal pledge that I will not initiate, nor will I
respond to any thread that has to do with Politics.

However, it would be nice, if the next time that someone starts a
thread about Design, or Joinery, or Finishing - that the Group, as a
whole, showed it the same level of involvement that has heretofore
been resrved for Politics, or Religion, or Sex.

MHO

YMMV

Regards,
Tom.