Swingman

"Jay Windley" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

| In the world of digital audio they are two different things. What

follows
is
| purposely a _very_ simplified explanation, so if some dip**** wants to
get
| anal, GFY in advance:

Noted. I stand F in advance.

| A CD is 16 bit resolution, a standard mp3 is 128 mbps

As you noted, two very different things. What follows is a less

simplified
explanation, meant neither to upstage, correct, nor to annoy Swingman.

Digitization of sound in the simplest case, as you noted, is a matter of
taking a certain number of samples every second and representing each

sample
as a number that describes the amplitude of the sound at that instant.

snip of informative stuff

Very well done, Jay! ... you obviously don't have the same number of tenons
(obww) to cut that I do before going back to the studio this evening.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

patrick conroy

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:11:35 -0600, "Jay Windley"
wrote:

--Jay
(who used to program MPEG satellite systems for a living)

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! So how do I hack my system so I can get all
the porno channels??? Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!
Jay Windley

"Swingman" wrote in message

| Very well done, Jay! ... you obviously don't have the same number of
tenons
| (obww) to cut that I do before going back to the studio this evening.

Thanks; I'm glad you appreciated it. Fortunately (or unfortunately as your
perspective suggests) I mess with digital data streams during the day as my
profession and relegate woodworking to evenings and weekends. But being
also a musician and audiophile, these topics interest me.

--Jay

Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in message

| Very well done, Jay! ... you obviously don't have the same number of
tenons
| (obww) to cut that I do before going back to the studio this evening.

Thanks; I'm glad you appreciated it. Fortunately (or unfortunately as

your
perspective suggests) I mess with digital data streams during the day as

my
profession and relegate woodworking to evenings and weekends. But being
also a musician and audiophile, these topics interest me.

(Takng a break) I mix the times up almost daily (mess with digital streams,
woodworking (among other things)) Many of my weekends these past few years
have been spent playing/touring with a Western Swing Band
(www.wildriverband.com).

I admittedly was drug kicking and screaming into the digital age (out of
pecuniary self-defense), and still listen in awe to those 2" analog 16
track, 30 ips drum tracks I cut back in the late seventies, early eighties.

What I don't miss is the constant deck/head/tape alignment/maintenance/wear,
cost of tape, razor blade editing/splicing, and linear access to the
content, all of which accounted for beaucoup studio time/cost during those
analog years. The hassle/cost of storage remains about the same ...
basically traded "bulky" for "fragile".

All said, and from the perspective of running a studio as a business, I
would not want to go back to an all analog world. The convenience of digital
audio, and ease of editing, _almost_ makes up for what these old analog ears
miss, as 'unrobust' as digital is.

Downside is that under every rock there is a self-styled "recording/master
engineer" with a computer in the bedroom/knapsack, little knowledge of sound
and how to get it, and a sadly talentless case of the endeavors ... proven
by a cursory trip through your radio dial any hour of the day.

Anyway, I appreciated the depth immediately ... you obviously know your
digital "stuff".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04