Swingman

"Jay Windley" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

| Very well done, Jay! ... you obviously don't have the same number of
tenons
| (obww) to cut that I do before going back to the studio this evening.

Thanks; I'm glad you appreciated it. Fortunately (or unfortunately as

your
perspective suggests) I mess with digital data streams during the day as

my
profession and relegate woodworking to evenings and weekends. But being
also a musician and audiophile, these topics interest me.

(Takng a break) I mix the times up almost daily (mess with digital streams,
woodworking (among other things)) Many of my weekends these past few years
have been spent playing/touring with a Western Swing Band
(www.wildriverband.com).

I admittedly was drug kicking and screaming into the digital age (out of
pecuniary self-defense), and still listen in awe to those 2" analog 16
track, 30 ips drum tracks I cut back in the late seventies, early eighties.

What I don't miss is the constant deck/head/tape alignment/maintenance/wear,
cost of tape, razor blade editing/splicing, and linear access to the
content, all of which accounted for beaucoup studio time/cost during those
analog years. The hassle/cost of storage remains about the same ...
basically traded "bulky" for "fragile".

All said, and from the perspective of running a studio as a business, I
would not want to go back to an all analog world. The convenience of digital
audio, and ease of editing, _almost_ makes up for what these old analog ears
miss, as 'unrobust' as digital is.

Downside is that under every rock there is a self-styled "recording/master
engineer" with a computer in the bedroom/knapsack, little knowledge of sound
and how to get it, and a sadly talentless case of the endeavors ... proven
by a cursory trip through your radio dial any hour of the day.

Anyway, I appreciated the depth immediately ... you obviously know your
digital "stuff".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04