Mike

"Bob" wrote in message ink.net...
"Mike" wrote in message
om...

I think that should work fine. Good luck and please let us know how
the bench turns out.

Thanks, Mike. One of the things I have learned in my short experience as a
woodworker is that there are usually at least two good ways to accomplish a
goal and perhaps one of those can be done without buying another tool.
Unfortunately, getting by without buying something rarely happens.

Bob

Regarding "at least two good ways to accomplish a goal": Just to
throw another monkey wrench into the works, you can always opt for
rectangular bench dogs where making the dog holes is simply a matter
of routering (or dadoing) some slots into one of the boards before
gluing up the top. I chose that route for my bench but I don't think
there's any huge advantage to either approach over the other.

Cheers,
Mike
Upscale

"Mike" wrote in message
rectangular bench dogs where making the dog holes is simply a matter
of routering (or dadoing) some slots into one of the boards before
gluing up the top. I chose that route for my bench but I don't think
there's any huge advantage to either approach over the other.

There's always advantages and disadvantages to different types. A round
bench dog will turn in it's slot to flatly face whatever is pressed against
it. Square ones can't do that and maybe slightly more likely to leave an
impression on the wood butted up against it. I'm sure there's some
advantages to square dogs over round ones, but can't think of any right this
moment.

mac davis

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:13:14 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
rectangular bench dogs where making the dog holes is simply a matter
of routering (or dadoing) some slots into one of the boards before
gluing up the top. I chose that route for my bench but I don't think
there's any huge advantage to either approach over the other.

There's always advantages and disadvantages to different types. A round
bench dog will turn in it's slot to flatly face whatever is pressed against
it. Square ones can't do that and maybe slightly more likely to leave an
impression on the wood butted up against it. I'm sure there's some
advantages to square dogs over round ones, but can't think of any right this
moment.

I sort of compromised on my dogs.. some are just 3/4 dowels with
expanded tops, some are 2x1" stock with 3/4 turned bases and I have 2
of those HF iron clamping pegs... all part of my "try everything and
learn" system.. *g*

Mac
mac davis

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:58:10 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
. com...

I think that should work fine. Good luck and please let us know how
the bench turns out.

Thanks, Mike. One of the things I have learned in my short experience as a
woodworker is that there are usually at least two good ways to accomplish a
goal and perhaps one of those can be done without buying another tool.
Unfortunately, getting by without buying something rarely happens.

Bob

I can see the "point" of the forstner...

I used a 3/4 spade bit, but if the top layer of my bench was hardboard
instead of particle board I would of (after reading this thread) done
the holes about 1/2 deep with the forstner and finished them with the
spade...
more for appearance, I think... forstner holes look so pretty..

Mac