P van Rijckevorsel

Gordon Menzies schreef
I am starting a new project soon. The plans call for Brazilian Rosewood .

the problem is none is available. So I would like some possible
recommendation for a similar type of wood .
The project involves wooden gears. So stability is important. Any suggestion
will be greatly appreciated.

********
Lot of options
Also look at Platymiscium species.
PvR

AArDvarK

******
Yes, that is pretty normal. In Costa Rica "greenheart" will be what is
called "ipê" in Brazil
******

So it's an ironwood. Wouldn't it be better than cocbolo, for strengths
against check(ing)? Better for chisel handles?

Alex

P van Rijckevorsel

AArDvarK schreef
So it's an ironwood. Wouldn't it be better than cocobolo, for strengths

against check(ing)? Better for chisel handles?

*****
They are all "ironwoods".
Depends also on what you want in a chisel handle.

I have always been perferctly happy with hornbeam handles.
PvR

J. Clarke

Gordon Menzies wrote:

Hello

I am starting a new project soon. the plans call for Brazilian Rosewood .
the problem is none is available.
so I would like some possible recommendation for a similar type of wood .
the project involves wooden gears.
so stability is important. any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Apple is traditional for gears but there are some tricks to using it.
Mesquite is stable, hard, strong, pretty good across the board, and
available at reasonable prices but it has a relatively open grain structure
that might or might not affect the performance of whatever you're making.

Google "wood selector"--there are several online--and plug in "stable",
"hard" and whatever else you think you'll need and you'll find some good
suggestions.

Gord

--
--John