Todd Fatheree

Default Air cleaners/filters

All the talk about the Jet air cleaner has me thinking of another question.
Assuming you have a shop detached from the house and further assuming you
are neither cooling or heating the shop, would you be just as well (or
better) off installing a fan/blower that would simply exhaust air outside
without the need to filter it? I suppose you have to make sure there is a
good supply of fresh air, but it seems to eliminate the question about
getting the right filter.

todd

Edwin Pawlowski

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
All the talk about the Jet air cleaner has me thinking of another
question.
Assuming you have a shop detached from the house and further assuming you
are neither cooling or heating the shop, would you be just as well (or
better) off installing a fan/blower that would simply exhaust air outside
without the need to filter it? I suppose you have to make sure there is a
good supply of fresh air, but it seems to eliminate the question about
getting the right filter.

todd

Sure. Worst case scenario is you blow dust on the neighbor's laundry. A
good fan blowing the dust out could eliminate it from the shop and from you.

charlie b

Todd Fatheree wrote:

All the talk about the Jet air cleaner has me thinking of another question.
Assuming you have a shop detached from the house and further assuming you
are neither cooling or heating the shop, would you be just as well (or
better) off installing a fan/blower that would simply exhaust air outside
without the need to filter it? I suppose you have to make sure there is a
good supply of fresh air, but it seems to eliminate the question about
getting the right filter.

todd

Add - and assuming there are no neighbors who might be allergic to
the sawdust (and we're talking very fine, easily airborn carried,
sawdust) of some of the available woods we play with.

You do plan to have a dust collector as well right?

Living in an area that requires no heating in the winter and no
cooling in the summer is unusual. Surely there's significant
changes in humidity. I grew up in the tropics where heating
and cooling weren't necessary. Furniture from India and
China held up well over the humidity changes range because
the joinery was done to accomodate expansion and contraction.
Then air conditioning became available and 50 year old
furniture started coming apart. So - keep in mind the difference
between your shop climate and the climate in which the piece
will reside cause wood WILL move.

charlie b
patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
All the talk about the Jet air cleaner has me thinking of another
question.
Assuming you have a shop detached from the house and further assuming
you are neither cooling or heating the shop, would you be just as
well (or better) off installing a fan/blower that would simply
exhaust air outside without the need to filter it? I suppose you
have to make sure there is a good supply of fresh air, but it seems
to eliminate the question about getting the right filter.

todd

Sure. Worst case scenario is you blow dust on the neighbor's laundry.
A good fan blowing the dust out could eliminate it from the shop and
from you.

A neighbor of mine has the unfiltered exhaust from his Oneida cyclone
ducted out under the eaves of his garage. In the outside environment,
there is probably less impact than from the many other sources, including
'fresh air' woodworking.

Patriarch