Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: Power Washer Pump Head crack

I didn't detach the hose from the pump head over the winter on my Simpson power washing (MS31025HT-S) and the frozen water put a hairline crack in the pump head that attaches to the wand hose. (I did winterize the pump.) Is this something that I can take to someone and get a weld on it, or will I just have to buy a new one (80 dollars or so).

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2021 6:23 PM, Michael wrote:
I didn't detach the hose from the pump head over the winter on my Simpson power washing (MS31025HT-S) and the frozen water put a hairline crack in the pump head that attaches to the wand hose. (I did winterize the pump.) Is this something that I can take to someone and get a weld on it, or will I just have to buy a new one (80 dollars or so).

Thanks!

It looks like there are some parts available, I did not look toughly for
your part
https://www.pwoutlet.com/FNA520002-H.../fna520002.htm

https://www.ppe-pressure-washer-part...E-WASHER-PARTS

This failing you may find a replacement in some place like the Restore,
or similar second hand stores.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
I didn't detach the hose from the pump head over the winter on my Simpson power washing (MS31025HT-S) and the frozen water put a hairline crack in the pump head that attaches to the wand hose. (I did winterize the pump.) Is this something that I can take to someone and get a weld on it, or will I just have to buy a new one (80 dollars or so).

Thanks!

I would be tempted to try to braze it with a butane torch (which are not
that expensive). In order for it to work, you would have to enlarge
the hairline crack a little to provide room for some other material to
flow into it. I think I could tackle this job if the part is steel, and
not if the part is relatively thin aluminum. Note that galvanized metal
will give off poisonous fumes when heated. I guess whether it's worth
it or not depends on how much you like welding, or if you know someone
who would like to do it. $80 doesn't go as far as it used to. My first
guess was to use "silver solder", but I just read that silver solder
doesn't like it's temperature jerked around, so I might be inclined to
try another brazing material. That said, someone who repaired my air
conditional a few years ago used silver solder to fill a cracked piece
of copper tubing and the repair has been successful. I am not an
expert, not even close--I learned most of what I know about this in high
school! --and from what I understand it is much easier to work on
aluminum these days.
Good luck!
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Bill and Keith! I looked at those web sites and the prices are about the same all around for spare parts. It would be nice to just repair it so I don't have to worry about the proper fit and so on. The issue with any kind of repair is that it will have to withstand a good amount of water pressure. I'm not sure it even needs to be 100 percent water right. I will check into trying a braze. Appreciated!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2021 1:28 PM, Michael wrote:
Thanks Bill and Keith! I looked at those web sites and the prices are about the same all around for spare parts. It would be nice to just repair it so I don't have to worry about the proper fit and so on. The issue with any kind of repair is that it will have to withstand a good amount of water pressure. I'm not sure it even needs to be 100 percent water right. I will check into trying a braze. Appreciated!

Dumb question: With all of the advances in glues, is there a glue that
you could that is strong enough to with stand the pressure and hold in
water?? Some sort of epoxy??

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
Thanks Bill and Keith! I looked at those web sites and the prices are about the same all around for spare parts. It would be nice to just repair it so I don't have to worry about the proper fit and so on. The issue with any kind of repair is that it will have to withstand a good amount of water pressure. I'm not sure it even needs to be 100 percent water right. I will check into trying a braze. Appreciated!

Michael, Good luck and please let us know how it works out!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2021 5:23 PM, Michael wrote:
I didn't detach the hose from the pump head over the winter on my Simpson power washing (MS31025HT-S) and the frozen water put a hairline crack in the pump head that attaches to the wand hose. (I did winterize the pump.) Is this something that I can take to someone and get a weld on it, or will I just have to buy a new one (80 dollars or so).

Thanks!

I repaired a make-up water pump on a boiler once. The unit was cast
iron. When it was being installed the fitter turned his wrench into the
outlet, cracking a triangular piece off. We replaced the pump with a new
one, but I took it home to see if I could weld it back together. The
weld cracks were so porous they weeped all along the weld. I had it
physically repaired, so I put JB Weld inside on the walls of the pump
outlet.
A couple years later we needed an identical pump in an emergency
situation, so we tried my pump. It's been running for almost 25 Years
without a leak.

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the note! I've already put some marine epoxy on it and I'm letting it dry good and hard. Next I'll apply some leak seal/silicon tape. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMMG13K/ And finally I'll keep it snug with a hose clamp. If all that doesn't' work, I'm definitely going to try to the JB Weld. Appreciated!