Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Whiteside Router Bits No Longer Made In The USA...Sort Of

I don't recall when I last saw Made in the USA on the Whiteside
website, but it's not there anymore.

I needed a forstner bit so I called a specialty lumber yard that I frequent
and spoke to the owner. She said that she only carried Amana. She said
she used to carry other brands but they were getting more and more
expensive so she decided to stick with Amana for the time being. She
added "It's too bad that Whiteside doesn't make forstner bits. I carry their
router bits and I could probably get a good deal on forstner bits if they
made them."

So off to the her store I go and we continued the conversation about
Whiteside. She says "Do you know that they can't say "Made in in the
USA" anymore? Apparently they source their bearings from overseas
so the FTC won't let them use the Made in the USA statement anymore.

I did a little Googling and found an article related to a letter that the FTC
sent to Whiteside's attorneys.

https://www.lexology.com/library/det...a-5eff3317fef1

I bought an Amana forstner bit and a Whiteside 1/4" round over bit. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 20:43:00 -0700 (PDT), Dave Marulli
wrote:

[...]

Be nice if the FTC had said what exactly they were upset about.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/15/2021 10:43 PM, Dave Marulli wrote:
[...]

I would not be surprised if the, Made in America, was dropped for
political correctness reasons.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the bearings. I guess they can't just make a blanket
"Make America Better" but it would seem that they could on individual
bits (those without bearings).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Although Whiteside bits are sturdy but they are more than expensive compered to the others.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...f-3104858-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 10:45:06 AM UTC-4, Daniel per wrote:
Although Whiteside bits are sturdy but they are more than expensive compered to the others.

Please define "the others".

Please define "more expensive". Are you talking about price only or are you talking about what you
get for your money? Quality, longevity, etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 10:16:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 10:45:06 AM UTC-4, Daniel per wrote:
Although Whiteside bits are sturdy but they are more than expensive compered to the others.

Please define "the others".

Please define "more expensive". Are you talking about price only or are you talking about what you
get for your money? Quality, longevity, etc.

Indeed. Are they more expensive than Amana? Are they better than
MLCS? Will they last longer than Craftsman? What's the
quality/cost/life multiplier?

BTW, I don't find most Whiteside bits to be all that expensive, in
their class (very subjective, I know). Some are out there ("Ultimate
Trim/Pattern Bits") but for the most part they're reasonable for the
top shelf.