Old November 9th 20, 12:32 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default pen-turning lathe

https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Doh ! :-)
John T.

Old November 9th 20, 02:09 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 08 Nov 2020 18:32:49 -0500, wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Doh ! :-)

It's worth more than $530 funnymoney as scrap. It would probably cost
many (many) times that to move it though. I wonder if it'll even fit
through the door.
Old November 9th 20, 03:00 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 7:10:07 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sun, 08 Nov 2020 18:32:49 -0500, wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Doh ! :-)

It's worth more than $530 funnymoney as scrap. It would probably cost
many (many) times that to move it though. I wonder if it'll even fit
through the door.

I think even King Kong might find the pen turned on that lathe to be too big.
Old November 9th 20, 03:39 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 6:27:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Doh ! :-)
John T.

It's for this:

https://tinyurl.com/big-ass-pen
Old November 9th 20, 06:23 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 08 Nov 2020 18:32:49 -0500, wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Doh ! :-)
John T.

Looke like a kind of sad story. Says it's a "retirement auction". So
some guy built a business that could afford that kind of equipment and
the power to run it and the shop space to hold it, and he's retiring,
and there isn't anybody to take it over. Wonder how many people are
losing their jobs?

Old November 9th 20, 11:53 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 00:23:16 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Nov 2020 18:32:49 -0500, wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Doh ! :-)
John T.

Looke like a kind of sad story. Says it's a "retirement auction". So
some guy built a business that could afford that kind of equipment and
the power to run it and the shop space to hold it, and he's retiring,
and there isn't anybody to take it over. Wonder how many people are
losing their jobs?

There might be a few weeks work for a few millwrights -
if they don't mind the travel to China - which is what my
next-door-neighbour did when the factory closed ..
John T.

Old November 9th 20, 04:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/8/2020 4:32 PM, wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Doh ! :-)
John T.

That's the kind of lathe that will kill a machinist 3 apprentices, and
the supervisor across the room in an instant.

I really like that full 4 jaw chuck instead of a spider on the outboard
side of the head. I've thought about something like that for my "big"
(for me) lathe. Maybe not quite so big. LOL. The safety cage around
it is awesome. I bet lifting the chuck key will put some muscles on you.

Man I would love to have that thing in my shop if I could power it.
Probably cost more to have it delivered than my 14x40 cost brand new.

https://www.avg.com

Old November 9th 20, 06:27 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Doh ! :-)
John T.

Looke like a kind of sad story. Says it's a "retirement auction". So
some guy built a business that could afford that kind of equipment and
the power to run it and the shop space to hold it, and he's retiring,
and there isn't anybody to take it over. Wonder how many people are
losing their jobs?

There might be a few weeks work for a few millwrights -
if they don't mind the travel to China - which is what my
next-door-neighbour did when the factory closed ..

I think I actually found the company that owned it. Feher Machine and
Manufacturing. Address matches the location in the auction listing,
their web site is down, and the property is for sale.
Old November 9th 20, 06:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 08:06:33 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 11/8/2020 4:32 PM, wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Doh ! :-)
John T.

That's the kind of lathe that will kill a machinist 3 apprentices, and
the supervisor across the room in an instant.

I really like that full 4 jaw chuck instead of a spider on the outboard
side of the head. I've thought about something like that for my "big"
(for me) lathe. Maybe not quite so big. LOL. The safety cage around
it is awesome. I bet lifting the chuck key will put some muscles on you.

Man I would love to have that thing in my shop if I could power it.
Probably cost more to have it delivered than my 14x40 cost brand new.

They will likely get less than scrap price for it due to the cost of
dismantling and transpoerting it to the scrap yard - SAD. A friend
worked on one a bit bigger than that until retirement last year - it
had a 40 or 42 inch chuck and a 12 foot bed.- and a tool post grinder
that required a crane to install.
Old November 10th 20, 02:19 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 11:23:21 PM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:
On Sun, 08 Nov 2020 18:32:49 -0500, wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Doh ! :-)
John T.

Looke like a kind of sad story. Says it's a "retirement auction". So
some guy built a business that could afford that kind of equipment and
the power to run it and the shop space to hold it, and he's retiring,
and there isn't anybody to take it over. Wonder how many people are
losing their jobs?

"retirement auction" Or more likely a going out of business auction. Going out of business due to low sales. Not because there is no one new to buy or take over the business, if it was profitable. As stated in another post, most of those type industrial jobs are now going to China or SE Asia. So except for custom work, there might not be much activity in the USA. Any regular repeat work is sourced from Asia. And I suspect there are new lathes that are CNC that do the same job this one does. So going forward, there might not be much use for this type of lathe.