Old November 10th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default pen-turning lathe

Now I know what they used to machine train wheels.

was heard to mutter:
https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Old November 10th 20, 05:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe on Mon, 9 Nov 2020 08:06:33 -0700 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
On 11/8/2020 4:32 PM, wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y5bgvk5x

Doh ! :-)
John T.

That's the kind of lathe that will kill a machinist 3 apprentices, and
the supervisor across the room in an instant.

Any machine can do that.

It looks a tad smaller than the one at my first job, that one had
a much longer bed. (turning 30 foot drilling thing-gummies. Final
product ha a 2.5in bore the length of it, with a 6in OD centered on
the bore.)

I really like that full 4 jaw chuck instead of a spider on the outboard
side of the head. I've thought about something like that for my "big"
(for me) lathe. Maybe not quite so big. LOL. The safety cage around
it is awesome. I bet lifting the chuck key will put some muscles on you.

All depends on what you consider "large" :-)

Man I would love to have that thing in my shop if I could power it.
Probably cost more to have it delivered than my 14x40 cost brand new.

Don't forget the accessories. Like the overhead cranes to load
stock into it, remove finished parts. "It's not the initial expense,
it's the accessories."
--
pyotr filipivich