NoOne N Particular

Default Next bar building question.

Hi all,

I have been building a bar for my daughter and have reached anohter point
where I need some assistance. This time it is about finishing.

Have any of you seen CSI:Miami? In their interrogation room they have a
table that has a black mirror finish on it. That sucker is sooo black and
sooo shiny. Anyway, that is what I want for the bar. I have two horizontal
surfaces (the bar counter and the work surface) and several vertical
surfaces (face frame, drawer fronts, and door fronts) that I would like to
finish in this manner. The horizontal surfaces are MDF and the vertical
surfaces are Poplar.

So the question is, how do I get that super black, super shiny finish?

I have thought about pressure laminate and that might be ok for the
horizontal surfaces, but would not work on the vertical surfaces because of
the "drawer pulls" that I intend to use (an under-cut groove across the
faces).

The only other thing that I can think of would be black epoxy paint followed
by a clear epoxy top coat (or two) over that, and then buff it out.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Wayne

Unisaw A100

Lacquer.

UA100
Juergen Hannappel

"NoOne N Particular" writes:

[...]

The only other thing that I can think of would be black epoxy paint followed
by a clear epoxy top coat (or two) over that, and then buff it out.

A shhet of Glass over black felt, really black, really glossy, with
"depth", but with a problem at the edges. Also very durable.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
NoOne N Particular

I thought about the glass, but then I would have a problem with it matching
everything else. I might still put glass on the two horizontal surfaces
just for durability and cleanability if nothing else.

Thanks,

Wayne

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
"NoOne N Particular" writes:

[...]

The only other thing that I can think of would be black epoxy paint

followed
by a clear epoxy top coat (or two) over that, and then buff it out.

A shhet of Glass over black felt, really black, really glossy, with
"depth", but with a problem at the edges. Also very durable.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
NoOne N Particular wrote:
[...]

"MinWhacks has lacks,
Lacquer is blacker."

Robert Rushing

If it is possible have the finished sprayed. My in-laws took an old coffee
table to an auto body shop and had it sprayed with a Lexus Black. The
finish is very shiny and deep and has held up supper.

Robert R.

J. Clarke

NoOne N Particular wrote:

[...]

It might be worth a try to see if you can get in touch with the production
designer--his name should be in the credits (might be "art director" or
some such) and you should be able to get his contact information from imdb
pro http://www.imdb.com (pro is normally a pay service but there's a free
trial or was last time I checked). On the other hand, much in cinema is
"fool the eye" and the table that is shown might not be very durable.

Other things to consider--granite, black plate glass, or ordinary clear
plate glass with the back painted black. Granite's going to be heavy and
expensive, black plate glass I dunno. Odds are what they're actually using
on the set is a piece of plexiglass with the back painted black, which is
light, not horribly expensive, and would hold up fine in their use.

Thanks,

Wayne

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
NoOne N Particular

I don't know if I want to go to all of the trouble to contact the designer.
I know the table could be anything from a $5000 original design to a piece
of plywood on some boxes and then covered with black construction paper and
glass. I just mentioned it because it has the look I want.

All of the things you mention would be good for the two horizontal surfaces,
but not the vertical surfaces (face frame, drawer fronts, etc). I would
prefer to use the same technique for both so they would match. So far, it
seems like black laquer and/or epoxy paint.

Thanks,

Wayne

snippage

[...]

William Krems

I help a friend remodeling a bar and we poured epoxy on the bartop and
table tops. Superhard shiny surface. He laid some coins, pictures and
stuff down and we poured over them. Drawer fronts and doors could be
laid down to do this don't know about other verticle surfaces.
Mac Cool

NoOne N Particular:

So far, it seems like black laquer and/or epoxy paint.

black laquer
--
Mac Cool

NoOne N Particular

I have been looking into the black lacquer, but can't find a good source on
the Internet. Even DAGS, but probably just not using the right words.
Seems like I get a lot of hits about automotive paint. Might go with the
Epoxy solution.

Wayne

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
NoOne N Particular:

So far, it seems like black laquer and/or epoxy paint.

black laquer
--
Mac Cool

B a r r y

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:54:22 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"
wrote:

I have been looking into the black lacquer, but can't find a good source on
the Internet.

Think "Piano".

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=piano+refinishing+supplies+lacquer

Barry