Jon DePlumme

Default no-melt saw blades

I'm trying to identify a saw blade appropriate for cutting lexan. I've
noticed that Forrest offers one, but it's on the order of $170, which
seems semi-insane. Are there other high-quality blades available for
cutting lexan?

Thanks.

Brian in Hampton

We use the forrest blade here and it is worth the money....We paid 250.00
5-6 years ago.....Brian

Fletis Humplebacker

"Jon DePlumme"
I'm trying to identify a saw blade appropriate for cutting lexan. I've
noticed that Forrest offers one, but it's on the order of $170, which
seems semi-insane. Are there other high-quality blades available for
cutting lexan?

Thanks.

I wouldn't pay over a hundred dollars for a blade.
I cut polycarbonate (Lexan is a brand) quite often.
All that's needed is a triple grind tooth. 80 teeth
on a 10 inch blade gives great results. Sears has
one that I use for aluminum but it cuts plastics
quite well also, for $65.

Bill Stock

"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in message

"Jon DePlumme"
I'm trying to identify a saw blade appropriate for cutting lexan. I've
noticed that Forrest offers one, but it's on the order of $170, which
seems semi-insane. Are there other high-quality blades available for
cutting lexan?

Thanks.

I wouldn't pay over a hundred dollars for a blade.
I cut polycarbonate (Lexan is a brand) quite often.
All that's needed is a triple grind tooth. 80 teeth
on a 10 inch blade gives great results. Sears has
one that I use for aluminum but it cuts plastics
quite well also, for $65.

Would a 200 tooth blade be good for this? I bought one for plywood, but I
may want to play with plastic at some point.

Paul Franklin

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:10:09 -0500, Jon DePlumme
wrote:

I'm trying to identify a saw blade appropriate for cutting lexan. I've
noticed that Forrest offers one, but it's on the order of $170, which
seems semi-insane. Are there other high-quality blades available for
cutting lexan?

Thanks.

I use my 50 tooth Freud combination to cut 1/8-1/4 polycarbonate all
the time with no problems. I do raise the blade height way up so the
teeth aren't in the cut a long time, using the guard of course.

HTH,

Paul

Hisself

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message
| On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:10:09 -0500, Jon DePlumme
| wrote:
|
| I'm trying to identify a saw blade appropriate for cutting lexan.
I've
| noticed that Forrest offers one, but it's on the order of $170, which
| seems semi-insane. Are there other high-quality blades available for
| cutting lexan?
|
| Thanks.
| I use my 50 tooth Freud combination to cut 1/8-1/4 polycarbonate all
| the time with no problems. I do raise the blade height way up so the
| teeth aren't in the cut a long time, using the guard of course.
|
| HTH,
|
| Paul
|
| I have found that if you put the (any) blade on backwards and cut
slowly, with the blade raised way up you will get an excellent cut with
very little "Melt"

---

Fletis Humplebacker

"Bill Stock"

"Fletis Humplebacker"

"Jon DePlumme"
I'm trying to identify a saw blade appropriate for cutting lexan. I've
noticed that Forrest offers one, but it's on the order of $170, which
seems semi-insane. Are there other high-quality blades available for
cutting lexan?

Thanks.

I wouldn't pay over a hundred dollars for a blade.
I cut polycarbonate (Lexan is a brand) quite often.
All that's needed is a triple grind tooth. 80 teeth
on a 10 inch blade gives great results. Sears has
one that I use for aluminum but it cuts plastics
quite well also, for $65.

Would a 200 tooth blade be good for this? I bought one for plywood, but I
may want to play with plastic at some point.

That's alot of teeth! I think you mean the small toothed stamped blade.
It might get by with acrylics but polycarbs are going to melt and create
problems. Ask me how I know.

Bill Stock

[...]

Yep, it's a cheap steel blade Canadian Tire sells for plywood. But it was
only $18 CDN.