Mike Dalton

Default Wood Steaming And Drying Question

I am steaming 10 strips of red oak. Each piece measures 24" x 7/8" x
3/8". They are to be bent lengthwise with an arc that is about 2"
high. I plan to cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to 6" x 30". I will then
cut the arc in the plywood and have this as a bending jig. My plan is
to steam all 10 strips at the same time, place them all in the bending
jig and then clamp the plywood together to put the arc into the
strips.
My question is how long must I leave the strips clamped up so they are
dry when I remove them? I do not have any moisture meters available so
this must be done by the seat of the pants.
Thanks for any and all help.
DarylRos

My plan is
to steam all 10 strips at the same time, place them all in the bending
jig and then clamp the plywood together to put the arc into the
strips. BRBR

You may want to rethink this part. You have about a minute or so to to bnd ALL
ten strips; a rather difficult task.

Also, the form has to be VERY strong, and 3/4" plywood may not be the best
choice: you are putting tremendous force on the straps, clamps or whatever you
are using, and the plywood has a good chance to snap.

Generally the wood should be clamped for up to 24 hours. Expect a small amout
of springback. Also, white oak steams and bends better than red oak.

TeamCasa

Mike, Are you planning on laminating /gluing the strips together after
bending? If so, you may want to think of cutting the strips in half. 3/8"
to 5/16" and forming them dry. (maybe a bit of sake! see other thread.)

I have just finished some dry walnut lamination, glue, clamp wait 24 hours.
They came out fine very minor spring back..
http://www.teamcasa.org/workshop/currentproject.htm Pictures here.

If not then steam, clamp into the form asap. Wait 24 hours. Expect some
spring-back.

Dave

om...