Tom Watson

Default OT (yeah, right!): Politics

I've sailed upon its waters long, this stormy sea of Wreck
I know to not talk Politics but still say, what the Heck
If my dear brother WoodDorkers can't hold themselves in check
I'll jump right in and take a swim with those who have no neck

And neckless be they (some of them) who curse the Constitution
And say that this brief document can't rule an Institution
That is so far and wide and deep and thus prone to Confusion
As to confound Interpreters engaged in Prostitution

The "Nine Old Whores" sit on their Bench, beginning each October
To render their opinions for us folks, who hope they're sober
And their opinions rule our lives, delivered from the Bench
And those both necked and neckless hear, and feel their buttcheeks
clench

Now I don't know what you might say but I have found no cause
To cheer all their opinions in a season, without pause
I find a lot that bothers me and much of it that gnaws
I often wish a better way to verify our laws

But I'll admit that's sour grapes
(I've called those old whores "reckless apes")
I've cursed their thoughts and their decisions
I've cursed their words and imprecisions

I've railed and cursed and vilified
(I may have said I hope they died)
They've burned me up until I fried
But then I take a look inside

And there I find a neckless man
Who curses that Amazing Plan
That's ruled this far-wide-depthless Land
For all these generations

And that is when I know I'm wrong
This Document that's kept us strong
Through Troubles and Nights all too long
That buried other Nations

Has earned its place in my Respect
And so I will try to reflect
On History and its neglect

(And try to lengthen out my neck)

(burma shave)

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Bob Schmall

The AP reported this afternoon that President Bush had denounced campaign
commercials aired by outside groups, including an ad that accuses Senator
Kerry of lying about his record in Vietnam.
"That ad and every ad" run by such groups has no place in the campaign, Bush
said. "I think Senator Kerry served admirably and he ought to be proud of
his record."

Now can we get to the issues?

Bob

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message
Thank you, sir.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
[...]

PC Gameplayer

Now can we get to the issues?

Bob

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH...can't resist......temptation.....to....reply
with..... political opinion that.....no
one......cares......about......... (C;

I have to say...I'm a Democrat, and even *I* am saying "Can we get to
the issues?" There's been a LOT of water under the bridge since Viet
Nam, and whether a group of vets think Kerry is or isn't fit for
command isn't really going to sway my opinion one way or 't'uther. I
respect vets, and I respect everyone's right to an opinion, but
hey...it's just that, an opinion.

And it does NOT say in the constitution that 527 groups have to be
fair and balanced in their adverts. So, yeah, Bob, I completely agree
with you--getting to the real issues would be a good thing. Pity that
it probably won't happen anytime soon... sigh

Charlie Self

David asks:

Seems like there are 50+ alt.politics.* groups that seem perfect for a
discussion like this? Can we relocate this thread or let it die!

We? Where did you come from? Didja miss the OT leading the thread?

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary
David

"We" as in the collective woodworkers who should be using this ng for its
intended purpose. You can put "OT:" anywhere you want, that doesn't mean
this topic belongs here. OT might as well translate to: "I am too damn lazy
to post to the correct newsgroup, so I will stroke my ego by posting my own
personal political beliefs in hopes of trolling a 300+ message thread that
has nothing to do with woodworking and isn't going to change a single
person's opinion!"

Please preach to the choir in the correct place.

--
Thanks,
David W. Lovell
"Charlie Self" wrote in message
David asks:

Seems like there are 50+ alt.politics.* groups that seem perfect for a
discussion like this? Can we relocate this thread or let it die!

We? Where did you come from? Didja miss the OT leading the thread?

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose

Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Charlie Self

David responds:

We" as in the collective woodworkers who should be using this ng for its
intended purpose. You can put "OT:" anywhere you want, that doesn't mean
this topic belongs here. OT might as well translate to: "I am too damn lazy
to post to the correct newsgroup, so I will stroke my ego by posting my own
personal political beliefs in hopes of trolling a 300+ message thread that
has nothing to do with woodworking and isn't going to change a single
person's opinion!"

Please preach to the choir in the correct place.

Please quit reading off-topic posts. Where is the material on woodworking that
you've supplied to this NG that you so noisily are defending against all its
enemies?

In other words, where did you come from? Who appointed you NG nanny?

Charlie Self
"A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
David

Nobody appointed me anything. However, I have been using Usenet for long
enough to know what the etiquette is for OT posts. Anyone can tell you that
a political statement is extremely divisive. This NG seems to be about
bringing woodworkers together. Threads like this create polarized opinions
about the other woodworkers without even knowing who they are. So what
benefit has this thread served? No one has to listen to me, but perhaps
others think these types of trolling threads dont belong here as well. Maybe
not everyone participating is aware of Usenet etiquette. There are many OT
posts here that you dont see me saying anything about because they clearly
aren't abusing the general idea of an off-topic message.

If you bother to do a search, you will find the other threads I have
participated on. I never said anyone was an enemy to this NG, at worst I
said someone was too lazy to post a divisive message in its appropriate
place.

To conclude, I wont post on this issue again as I dont want to further
perpetuate this thread. If you dont agree with me, fine, keep blowing the
fire on the never-ending political debate.

[...]

Tim Daneliuk

David wrote:

"We" as in the collective woodworkers who should be using this ng for its
intended purpose. You can put "OT:" anywhere you want, that doesn't mean
this topic belongs here. OT might as well translate to: "I am too damn lazy
to post to the correct newsgroup, so I will stroke my ego by posting my own
personal political beliefs in hopes of trolling a 300+ message thread that
has nothing to do with woodworking and isn't going to change a single
person's opinion!"

Please preach to the choir in the correct place.

Newsgroups are funny things. They both meet the need for domain specific
discussion AND substitute for the proverbial pickle barrel of olde at the
local General Store. Yeah, we BS here on OT material. But we also
do contribute to on topic material. Rent a clue, learn how to create
a filter on OT subject headers if it really annoys you that much
and move along. It's just a freaking news group man, lighten up ...

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Bob Schmall

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message
David wrote:

"We" as in the collective woodworkers who should be using this ng for

its
intended purpose. You can put "OT:" anywhere you want, that doesn't mean
this topic belongs here.
Please preach to the choir in the correct place.

Newsgroups are funny things. They both meet the need for domain specific
discussion AND substitute for the proverbial pickle barrel of olde at the
local General Store. Yeah, we BS here on OT material. But we also
do contribute to on topic material. Rent a clue, learn how to create
a filter on OT subject headers if it really annoys you that much
and move along. It's just a freaking news group man, lighten up ...

Tim: I love you, man. It's just a freaking news group....

Bob

What is a SLEDGE? SJF Home Repair 21 August 16th 04 05:04 PM
Timber, politics and the quality of life. Michael Mcneil Woodworking 8 June 2nd 04 03:06 AM
Another day, another auction. Oh yeah, fire too V8TR4 Metalworking 1 October 26th 03 03:19 AM
Oh yeah.... knife Tim Williams Metalworking 1 September 26th 03 04:37 PM
Yeah, it's gone up! SwampBug Woodworking 4 September 23rd 03 04:20 AM