Tim Williams

Default Oh yeah.... knife

Don't know why I never brougt this up before, probably was too lazy
to try describing it without a pic... well I've got a pic now.. check
it out.
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/Images/Knife.jpg

Forged from a dead triangle file, then Dremeled to all hell, and finally
with lots of sanding and sharpening stones, it's almost razor-sharp (but
not quite, I think I tempered it too far to hold that good an edge...oh
well).
The handle is a screw-on file handle, and yes I kept the original tang
to mount it like this.

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Bob Swinney

Nice job, Tim! Not to worry if you drew the temper too much. Just go back,
reheat, quench and temper it again to whatever "color" you want. From what
I've heard a lot of knives made from files are not tempered at all - they
are left file-hard for max "edge holding". Be very careful how you use it
though; file-hard is fairly brittle and may be a hazard if used roughly.

Bob Swinney