Mark and Kim Smith

Default Suggestions for construction or material types.

I need to make a "pedestal" or foot for a couch ( or three or four.)
The top will be 5" x 5", the sides concave down to 1.5" x 1.5", 5"
tall. I'm thinking, so far, a 5" x 5" piece of oak I can cut at 5" and
bandsaw the curves on all four sides ( but where to find a piece that
big. ) OR glue up four pieces to make the sides with a filler piece
inside and on top to take the weight of the couch and occupants. The
user will stain them himself so I need to come up with the finish sanded
product only, no finish.

Mark and Kim Smith

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

I need to make a "pedestal" or foot for a couch ( or three or four.)
The top will be 5" x 5", the sides concave down to 1.5" x 1.5", 5"
tall. I'm thinking, so far, a 5" x 5" piece of oak I can cut at 5"
and bandsaw the curves on all four sides ( but where to find a piece
that big. ) OR glue up four pieces to make the sides with a filler
piece inside and on top to take the weight of the couch and
occupants. The user will stain them himself so I need to come up with
the finish sanded product only, no finish.

Too hard of a question or is more explanation needed?

Morris Dovey

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

I need to make a "pedestal" or foot for a couch ( or three
or four.) The top will be 5" x 5", the sides concave down to
1.5" x 1.5", 5" tall. I'm thinking, so far, a 5" x 5" piece
of oak I can cut at 5" and bandsaw the curves on all four
sides ( but where to find a piece that big. ) OR glue up
four pieces to make the sides with a filler piece inside and
on top to take the weight of the couch and occupants. The
user will stain them himself so I need to come up with the
finish sanded product only, no finish.

Too hard of a question or is more explanation needed?

Sounds like a bandsaw should do the trick; but you may want to do
some final shaping after rough cutting with the BS - perhaps on a
spindle sander?

If you glue up smaller pieces you may want to consider strategies
to hide/minimize glue lines...

I don't think it's the difficulty of the question - I'm just not
sure what information you're after or how I might be helpful. d-:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

John

Glue up some blanks into a solid 5x5 blank, then bandsaw cut out the
feet?? OR glue around a central core with good oak (matched grain)
showing???

John