Old March 7th 20, 09:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Species

What species do you think this is? White Oak? Maple?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Old March 7th 20, 09:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2020 3:14 PM, Hawk wrote:
What species do you think this is? White Oak? Maple?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Definitely NOT maple and certainly an oak.

Probably white altho somewhat lacking in the amount of flecked
showing...but it could have been graded to have had them separated out.

Not impossible to be red, but would expect a few darker in such an area,
but again that depends on source as to what would be rare/unusual/common
mix.

Need some end grain up close to be able to say for certain.

Old March 7th 20, 10:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2020 3:14 PM, Hawk wrote:
What species do you think this is? White Oak? Maple?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Rather ambiguous question, but I'll vote for white oak flooring and
maple desktop
Old March 7th 20, 10:08 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2020 3:14 PM, Hawk wrote:
What species do you think this is? White Oak? Maple?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Rather ambiguous question, but I'll vote for white oak flooring and
maple desktop

LOL.. I got a good chuckle from that one.

The side tables are what I questioned.
Old March 7th 20, 10:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, March 7, 2020 at 5:09:17 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
On 3/7/2020 3:14 PM, Hawk wrote:
What species do you think this is? White Oak? Maple?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Rather ambiguous question, but I'll vote for white oak flooring and
maple desktop

LOL.. I got a good chuckle from that one.

The side tables are what I questioned.

Top, legs, shelves or carcass?

I think the handles are metal. Not 100% sure.

Old March 7th 20, 10:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2020 3:14 PM, Hawk wrote:
What species do you think this is? White Oak? Maple?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Rather ambiguous question, but I'll vote for white oak flooring and
maple desktop

LOL.. I got a good chuckle from that one.

The side tables are what I questioned.

Top, legs, shelves or carcass?

I think the handles are metal. Not 100% sure.

Tops. Much of it is MDF.
Old March 7th 20, 10:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

--

My guess is White oak.
Old March 7th 20, 10:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2020 3:14 PM, Hawk wrote:
What species do you think this is? White Oak? Maple?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Rather ambiguous question, but I'll vote for white oak flooring and
maple desktop

LOL.. I got a good chuckle from that one.

The side tables are what I questioned.

Top, legs, shelves or carcass?

I think the handles are metal. Not 100% sure.

Tops. Much of it is MDF.

I can't see the edges, but I'd be very surprised if they used a thick
slab of white oak on top of an mostly MDF carcass. From where I'm sitting
I'd guess laminated particle board. Might not even be real wood laminate.
Old March 7th 20, 10:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2020 4:08 PM, Hawk wrote:
On 3/7/2020 3:14 PM, Hawk wrote:
What species do you think this is? White Oak? Maple?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Rather ambiguous question, but I'll vote for white oak flooring and
maple desktop

LOL.. I got a good chuckle from that one.

The side tables are what I questioned.

Oh. So much glare on those impossible to say much, if anything.

My first guess there was they were just laminate counter tops.

If it is actually veneered, could be most any white hardwood from what
can see.

Old March 7th 20, 11:10 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 16:52:54 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 3/7/2020 4:08 PM, Hawk wrote:
On 3/7/2020 3:14 PM, Hawk wrote:
What species do you think this is? White Oak? Maple?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Rather ambiguous question, but I'll vote for white oak flooring and
maple desktop

LOL.. I got a good chuckle from that one.

The side tables are what I questioned.

Oh. So much glare on those impossible to say much, if anything.

My first guess there was they were just laminate counter tops.

If it is actually veneered, could be most any white hardwood from what
can see.

I'm guessing that the manufacturer called it "fruitwood".