Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning of antique dresser

My current project is the repair of a small, child's dresser that has spent the last 60 - 70 years stored in an attic or basement. Most of the glued joints are coming apart and the entire dresser is covered with ground in dust and dirt. I gave it a light brushing and blew it off with compressed air but it needs much more. Any suggestions on how best to clean it and what I could apply to enhance what remains of the original finish? I do not want to completely refinish this dresser, rather keep the old look.
Thanks!

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 15:33:41 -0800 (PST), Tom Crist
wrote:

My current project is the repair of a small, child's dresser that has spent the last 60 - 70 years stored in an attic or basement. Most of the glued joints are coming apart and the entire dresser is covered with ground in dust and dirt. I gave it a light brushing and blew it off with compressed air but it needs much more. Any suggestions on how best to clean it and what I could apply to enhance what remains of the original finish? I do not want to completely refinish this dresser, rather keep the old look.

If most of the original finish is there and it's just dirty and beat
up, there's a product called "Howard's Restor-A-Finish". Get the
color that is closest to what's there now.

https://www.howardproducts.com/product/restor-a-finish/

Read the instructions carefully.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My current project is the repair of a small, child's dresser
that has spent the last 60 - 70 years stored in an attic or basement.
Most of the glued joints are coming apart and the entire dresser
is covered with ground in dust and dirt. I gave it a light brushing
and blew it off with compressed air but it needs much more.
Any suggestions on how best to clean it and what I could apply
to enhance what remains of the original finish?
I do not want to completely refinish this dresser, rather keep the old look.
Thanks!
Tom

For my ancient roll-top desk - I gave it a rub with 0000 steel wool.
Then a wipe-down and wipe-off with some ~ Danish ? oil
and clean soft cloth.
The grubby blackened look turned into a nice natural dark oak.
I also wanted to avoid the re-finished look.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 6:33:44 PM UTC-5, Tom Crist wrote:
My current project is the repair of a small, child's dresser that has spent the last 60 - 70 years stored in an attic or basement. Most of the glued joints are coming apart and the entire dresser is covered with ground in dust and dirt. I gave it a light brushing and blew it off with compressed air but it needs much more. Any suggestions on how best to clean it and what I could apply to enhance what remains of the original finish? I do not want to completely refinish this dresser, rather keep the old look.
Thanks!

Tom

The Restore-A-Finish sounds like it is a solvent and stain that dissolves the finish, colors it, and smooths it out. I think I have to give the dresser a good cleaning first so the dirt doesn't become part of the finish. Maybe I'll try cleaning with soap & water then apply Danish oil and see how it looks. I can always move on to the more aggressive Restore-A-Finish if need be. Thank you everyone!

Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:21:06 -0800 (PST), Tom Crist
wrote:

[...]

Murpys Oil Soap works well, that and a bit of elbow grease. Which my
elbows seems to running dry of lately.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Murphy's oil soap and a good hog-bristle brush for starters
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/17/2019 1:21 PM, Tom Crist wrote:
[...]

Murphy's Oil Soap as a first step towards cleaning it up.

Cleaning an Antique Sonny Woodworking 17 January 29th 10 04:10 PM
Cleaning an Antique [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 28th 10 07:28 AM
What finish coat for antique oak dresser Roger Woodworking 7 October 19th 06 06:37 PM
Cleaning "antique pine" kitchen units. Chris Bacon UK diy 5 July 27th 05 03:54 PM
Please help recommend joints for dresser/armoire plans! Kent P. Iler Woodworking 10 August 2nd 03 10:43 PM