Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Now bandsaw - how to move

I just had a bandsaw delivered. I expected it to be delivered upright
on a pallet but it's laying down, fastened to a long pallet. It was
going to be a problem to move into place but as it is, it's going to
be really unwieldy. I'm kinda stumped.

The problem is that it's in my garage and, somehow, I need to get it
into my basement. Fortunately I have a walk-out basement but the door
is in the back of the house and no paved access to the rear. I could
assemble the saw in the garage and move it but it would probably be
better to move it in its shipping packaging. The shipping weight is
440lbs. so it's not going to be easy. Ideas? I thought about hiring
a piano mover but thought the folks here would have some other good
ideas.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 22:14:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/22/2019 9:46 PM, wrote:

I just had a bandsaw delivered. I expected it to be delivered upright
on a pallet but it's laying down, fastened to a long pallet. It was
going to be a problem to move into place but as it is, it's going to
be really unwieldy. I'm kinda stumped.

The problem is that it's in my garage and, somehow, I need to get it
into my basement. Fortunately I have a walk-out basement but the door
is in the back of the house and no paved access to the rear. I could
assemble the saw in the garage and move it but it would probably be
better to move it in its shipping packaging. The shipping weight is
440lbs. so it's not going to be easy. Ideas? I thought about hiring
a piano mover but thought the folks here would have some other good
ideas.

Can it be stood up with help? Two wheel hand truck like used for
refrigerators? Should be able to go across grass, maybe with a helper.

That was sorta my original plan. It'll have to be stood up at some
point, obviously. The wheels on a refrigerator dolly are pretty small
(and my grass is *really* bumpy). I moved my Unisaw myself by using a
ramp to get it into a trailer and used my truck to pull the trailer
around to the back, then across boards to the back door. I wasn't
afraid of it falling over, though. The packing material is a good
50lbs, so maybe the best plan is to unpack it in the garage. Perhaps
the motor and table are separate, too. I guess I'll read the assembly
directions tomorrow.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/22/2019 9:46 PM, wrote:

[...]

2 sheets of plywood? Dolly it 8', move a sheet. Rinse. Repeat.

A helper is required or at least make sure SWMBO isn't home if you try it
alone. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/22/2019 9:46 PM, wrote:

[...]

I have two 1/2 sheets (2'x8') of plywood framed with 2x4s for this
sort of thing.

A helper is required or at least make sure SWMBO isn't home if you try it
alone. ;-)

She wasn't home for the Unisaw move. ;-) The drill press was easy in
this house. Not so easy getting it down from the attic in the
previous house. She wasn't home then, either.

I guess the Unisaw was over 500lbs. (didn't remember that it was that
heavy), so perhaps I'm over-thinking this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 09:57:44 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/22/2019 10:08 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 22:14:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/22/2019 9:46 PM,

Can it be stood up with help? Two wheel hand truck like used for
refrigerators? Should be able to go across grass, maybe with a helper.

That was sorta my original plan. It'll have to be stood up at some
point, obviously. The wheels on a refrigerator dolly are pretty small
(and my grass is *really* bumpy). I moved my Unisaw myself by using a
ramp to get it into a trailer and used my truck to pull the trailer
around to the back, then across boards to the back door. I wasn't
afraid of it falling over, though. The packing material is a good
50lbs, so maybe the best plan is to unpack it in the garage. Perhaps
the motor and table are separate, too. I guess I'll read the assembly
directions tomorrow.

That's where I'd start -- how many pieces did it come in--"divide and
conquer".

If you can get the pallet on the trailer and back to the rear door, I'd
guess probably then moving pieces from the pallet into shop piece by
piece simpler than trying to move the whole enchilada and then uncrate
inside. But, just have to see how it was packed, specifically.
Sometimes, even some further disassembly first can actually be beneficial...

I don't think I can move the crated beast an inch. Maybe I can use a
jack (or even an engine puller?) to get it onto four-wheel dollies but
their wheels are really small too.

I've been thinking about it some more. My Unisaur was ~550lbs and I
moved it myself. This is a little more awkward but 150lbs less, so
two people should be able to move it without too much grief.

OK, the Q? nobody asked! What did you get??? Inquisitive minds and al
that...

Laguna 18|bx. I've been eyeing the Laguna 14x14 SUV for number of
years. Both were on sale for the same price recently so it came down
to a coin toss. I don't know that I'll ever need the additional size
but if I do, I'll be kicking myself. And SWMBO didn't object, much. An
unexpectedly large annual bonus didn't hurt. ;-) It was time to pull
the trigger.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 6:46:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I just had a bandsaw delivered. I expected it to be delivered upright
on a pallet but it's laying down, fastened to a long pallet. ...
The problem is that it's in my garage and, somehow, I need to get it
into my basement. Fortunately I have a walk-out basement

Three options:
(1) pull it apart (motor, upper frame, lower frame)
and move in pieces

(2) get a keg and invite a fratermity

(3) grass isn't great for wheels, but if you could bolt skids onto the
thing, a winch/comealong will slide it over the grass, maybe even without
killing the greenery. Heck, I've moved a dead water heatsr upstairs solo, after
strapping some skis on and tilting it onto the staircase.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

So what model saw did you get?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 22:14:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/22/2019 9:46 PM,

Can it be stood up with help?Â* Two wheel hand truck like used for
refrigerators?Â* Should be able to go across grass, maybe with a
helper.

That was sorta my original plan.Â* It'll have to be stood up at some
point, obviously.Â* The wheels on a refrigerator dolly are pretty small
(and my grass is *really* bumpy).Â* I moved my Unisaw myself by using a
ramp to get it into a trailer and used my truck to pull the trailer
around to the back, then across boards to the back door.Â* I wasn't
afraid of it falling over, though.Â* The packing material is a good
50lbs, so maybe the best plan is to unpack it in the garage.Â* Perhaps
the motor and table are separate, too.Â* I guess I'll read the assembly
directions tomorrow.

That's where I'd start -- how many pieces did it come in--"divide and
conquer".

If you can get the pallet on the trailer and back to the rear door, I'd
guess probably then moving pieces from the pallet into shop piece by
piece simpler than trying to move the whole enchilada and then uncrate
inside.Â* But, just have to see how it was packed, specifically.
Sometimes, even some further disassembly first can actually be
beneficial...

I don't think I can move the crated beast an inch.Â* Maybe I can use a
jack (or even an engine puller?) to get it onto four-wheel dollies but
their wheels are really small too.

I've been thinking about it some more.Â* My Unisaur was ~550lbs and I
moved it myself.Â* This is a little more awkward but 150lbs less, so
two people should be able to move it without too much grief.

OK, the Q? nobody asked!Â* What did you get??? Inquisitive minds and al
that...

Laguna 18|bx.Â* I've been eyeing the Laguna 14x14 SUV forÂ* number of
years.Â* Both were on sale for the same price recently so it came down
to a coin toss.Â* I don't know that I'll ever need the additional size
but if I do, I'll be kicking myself. And SWMBO didn't object, much. An
unexpectedly large annual bonus didn't hurt. ;-)Â* It was time to pull
the trigger.

So what model saw did you get?

OOPS! never mind.
So my Laguna LT16HD was shipped with the motor detached. That motor
is/was very heavy.
FWIW I did not pay near today's price that is listed, it was south of $2k.

You will love the guides.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

I just had a bandsaw delivered. I expected it to be delivered upright
on a pallet but it's laying down, fastened to a long pallet. It was
going to be a problem to move into place but as it is, it's going to
be really unwieldy. I'm kinda stumped.

As things developed at my parents' house, when problems present themselves a
home improvement project may be in order. A new concrete sidewalk would
allow you to move the bandsaw on a furniture dolly, or two depending on the
balance. ;~)

I moved my 36" Crescent bandsaw frame through my yard on a handtruck.
Everything was going great until one of the bolts I so carefully screwed
back into the frame for safe keeping got snagged on my shirt. I couldn't
get away from the saw as I tried to set the saw back down. As a result I
then had to lower myself and the saw to the ground instead of standing it up
on it's feet. I then had to call for help to get disentangled. Later I had
to enlist the help of two friends to pick the frame back up and get it on
it's feet.

Get help on site before hand. ;~) Impatience can maim and kill!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Get help on site before hand. ;~)Â* Impatience can maim and kill!

+1

As I age, I get more concerned on the farm about things used to never
think about at all...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 03:28:47 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 6:46:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I just had a bandsaw delivered. I expected it to be delivered upright
on a pallet but it's laying down, fastened to a long pallet. ...
The problem is that it's in my garage and, somehow, I need to get it
into my basement. Fortunately I have a walk-out basement

Three options:
(1) pull it apart (motor, upper frame, lower frame)
and move in pieces

(2) get a keg and invite a fratermity

Now there's some thinking outside the box. LOL!

(3) grass isn't great for wheels, but if you could bolt skids onto the
thing, a winch/comealong will slide it over the grass, maybe even without
killing the greenery. Heck, I've moved a dead water heatsr upstairs solo, after
strapping some skis on and tilting it onto the staircase.

The grass on that side is no loss but I think trailering it around is
easier. I can rent a low U-Haul for cheap. It would only be local
and only for a couple hours. There is a rental place about 2mi from
my house.

I moved my drill press upstairs, and back down, using a hand truck.
According to the spec sheet it's 240lbs, so was quite a challenge by
myself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 18:36:37 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

I just had a bandsaw delivered. I expected it to be delivered upright
on a pallet but it's laying down, fastened to a long pallet. It was
going to be a problem to move into place but as it is, it's going to
be really unwieldy. I'm kinda stumped.

As things developed at my parents' house, when problems present themselves a
home improvement project may be in order. A new concrete sidewalk would
allow you to move the bandsaw on a furniture dolly, or two depending on the
balance. ;~)

Concrete is easy. Home Owners Associations are much harder. I have
to be careful what tools I buy. SWMBO is ready to move because of
them.

I moved my 36" Crescent bandsaw frame through my yard on a handtruck.
Everything was going great until one of the bolts I so carefully screwed
back into the frame for safe keeping got snagged on my shirt. I couldn't
get away from the saw as I tried to set the saw back down. As a result I
then had to lower myself and the saw to the ground instead of standing it up
on it's feet. I then had to call for help to get disentangled. Later I had
to enlist the help of two friends to pick the frame back up and get it on
it's feet.

Get help on site before hand. ;~) Impatience can maim and kill!

More than a shirt, too. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

That's a plan. I haven't opened the crate yet. I've suddenly gotten
busy and it'll probably have to wait for next weekend.

FWIW I did not pay near today's price that is listed, it was south of $2k.

They've all gone up in price significantly. The 14x14SUV was about
$1K, at one point. The normal prices is twice that. The recent sale
was -10%. Not huge, but it bought the blade. ;-)

You will love the guides.

That was the tipping point between the Lagnua and Rikon (same price).
I remembered you raving about the Laguna guides.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 8:46:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I just had a bandsaw delivered. I expected it to be delivered upright
on a pallet but it's laying down, fastened to a long pallet. It was
going to be a problem to move into place but as it is, it's going to
be really unwieldy. I'm kinda stumped.

The problem is that it's in my garage and, somehow, I need to get it
into my basement. Fortunately I have a walk-out basement but the door
is in the back of the house and no paved access to the rear. I could
assemble the saw in the garage and move it but it would probably be
better to move it in its shipping packaging. The shipping weight is
440lbs. so it's not going to be easy. Ideas? I thought about hiring
a piano mover but thought the folks here would have some other good
ideas.

Not knowing the topography of your place, but could you get a couple of buddies and some 2-3" pvc and, using them as rollers, roll the crate out of the garage and down to the basement ?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 03:40:18 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

[...]

That idea had crossed my mind but my yard is *really* rough. I don't
think anything that small would work. I suppose the "pipes" don't
even have to roll but the crate does have to get from one to the next
without burying itself in the ground.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Hire a landscaper to smooth out your yard. While he's there, throw him
a few bucks to move the band saw with his bobcat.

Your band saw will get moved and your yard will be ready for whatever
you buy next. (Ducking so as not to get hit by whatever SWMBO just
threw at me.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

--

LOL, Yeah!

I remembering running up and down stairs, when I reached the top I was
in the air and coming down to the second floor.

Now, I hold on to the hand rail. ;~(

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's not going to happen. ;-)

Your band saw will get moved and your yard will be ready for whatever
you buy next. (Ducking so as not to get hit by whatever SWMBO just
threw at me.)

A full-sized lathe is next. Probably next year. SWMBO has already
been warned. ;-) I'm not contemplating anything big after that. Well,
except retirement (end of year, probably). Then I'll have a chance to
really play with the toys. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I built an all-terrain dolly for the move of a 450 lb planer. Picked up 4 - 10" dia pneumatic wheels from HF (https://www.harborfreight.com/10-inc...re-30900.html), and fashioned a dolly platform of scrap 2x4's. Anchored pcs of 3/4" conduit to the underside and used 5/8" all thread, dbl nutted, as axles. Pneumatic tires glide over uneven grass...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That's a really good idea. Add the trailer around to the back of the
house and a ramp (already have) and it would be quick work.

Then the problem becomes righting the saw and getting it into the
mobile base. I tried to lift the light end. I could get it to my
chest but there was no way to reverse my hands to push it upright from
a curl.

My plan to get it into the base includes levers and blocks.

Your piece gives me the details I need to do the hard part. I'd
thought about moving it on dollies but if one of the small wheels dug
into the ground or broke off, I'd be screwed. Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Build it such that you can make it into a trailer for your yard tractor.

There are always things that need to be moved into, out of, or around
the yard.

--
Judge your ancestors by how well they met their standards not yours.
They did not know your standards, so could not try to meet them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have found countless uses for it since the planer move. Used it just yesterday as a matter of fact...
Glad to help

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

This might be overkill, but better to consider this now vs. mid-move:

Buy a spare wheel and design the dolly such that you can change a wheel
under load i.e. jackable.

While searching for dual-wheel lawn carts, I found that a common complaint
in the reviews was flat tires. Since they all use those same style foreign
made wheels, you should be prepared for that.

The 13" wheels on my cart did not specify a max psi on the tire itself,
but the manual says 25 psi max.

Then the problem becomes righting the saw and getting it into the
mobile base. I tried to lift the light end. I could get it to my
chest but there was no way to reverse my hands to push it upright from
a curl.

Nothing personal, but don't you have any friends?

Maybe hire a couple of high school football players?

When my brother moved, he hired a couple of guys from the Merchant
Marine Academy. He lives on Long Island in NY.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Point is well made/taken...I would never attempt handling that kind of load without assistance, one little miscue and...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm not allowed to use my lawn tractor. I gotta get around to selling
it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Some have offered but I don't live very close to any and I'd rather
others not get hurt. None of us are kids anymore.

Maybe hire a couple of high school football players?

When my brother moved, he hired a couple of guys from the Merchant
Marine Academy. He lives on Long Island in NY.

I thought of "Two Men and a Truck" and one of the "College Hunks for
Hire", or some such. Haven't explored that yet. It's going to cost
more to get someone to show up than to do the job. Not that it would
be a big deal. I tried Angies List but they were useless.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2019 10:34 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 08:08:28 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Playing of you comment on your lawn tractor, is your health such that
you should even be considering moving the band saw by your health. If
you do will you children think it is a good idea?

With hospital cost today, The band saw is not worth a heart attack.

--
Judge your ancestors by how well they met their standards not yours.
They did not know your standards, so could not try to meet them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, you can spend some of the money you'll save on the 10" wheels. The
HF flyer that came in the mail today has a coupon: $3.99 instead of $5.99.

What's your address? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 07:58:34 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 7/11/2019 10:34 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 08:08:28 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Nothing like that. I walk ~20mi a day (110-130mi/wk unless life
intervenes). I'm pacemaker dependent (heart doesn't beat without it).
I can do pretty much anything you'd likely encounter around one's
house but weld or ride a lawn tractor. Some gas powered lawn equipment
can be a problem but was just told to "be careful" around them. It's
the AC magnetic field (alternator, in this case) that's the problem.
They're shielded against electric fields but not magnetic.

With hospital cost today, The band saw is not worth a heart attack.

Bite your tongue! ;-)

A heart attack is unlikely but could strike any of us, at any time.
Though I had triple bypass surgery in '14 the problem is electrical,
which the pacemaker has all but fixed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'll have to see if I can find one. Eight bucks is eight bucks.

What's your address? ;-)

Great! I'll see you at 1:00PM. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, you can spend some of the money you'll save on the 10" wheels. The
HF flyer that came in the mail today has a coupon: $3.99 instead of $5.99.

https://www.harborfreight.com/savings_coupons.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

$10, if you take my suggestion and buy a spare. Oh...wait...
You can return the spare, so $8 it is. ;-)

What's your address? ;-)

Great! I'll see you at 1:00PM. ;-)

Getting gas now. See you soon!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2019 8:52 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 07:58:34 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

[SNIP]
[...]

I had the combo Pacemaker/ICD implanted last Fall. The first time I
tried mowing the lawn I got chest pains and my pulse was pushing 130.
Thinking it was the EMI from the 22HP engine behind me on the ZTR mower
I was going to build a Faraday cage type shield to see if that would
help. I asked the cardiologist, the electrician, not my plumber and was
surprised when he told me that more than like it was the motion that did
it. He asked if I had a lot of bouncing around with the mower and,
truth be told, when I could, I'd do the straightaways at maximum speed.

He told me that my device - maybe yours too - has a sensor in it to
automatically increase your heart rate over the set parameters when it
senses vibration such as would be induced by rigorous exercise. Try it
with less speed and bouncing. I did and the problem pretty much went
away. I push it now and then and using a combo pulse oximeter I can see
my pulse up to 85% of my calculated maximum and while I might feel a bit
of discomfort, it's no worse than when I WAS capable of rigorous exercise.

I asked the plumber when I had my last appointment if two hours on the
ZTR with average pulse rate above 115, but below 128 was the equivalent
of a good workout. Unfortunately, he said, "Nice try, but no!"

Your mileage may vary but might be worth running it by your electrician.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 10:53:10 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/13/2019 8:52 AM, wrote:

Nothing like that. I walk ~20mi a day (110-130mi/wk unless life
intervenes). I'm pacemaker dependent (heart doesn't beat without it).
I can do pretty much anything you'd likely encounter around one's
house but weld or ride a lawn tractor. Some gas powered lawn equipment
can be a problem but was just told to "be careful" around them. It's
the AC magnetic field (alternator, in this case) that's the problem.
They're shielded against electric fields but not magnetic.

With hospital cost today, The band saw is not worth a heart attack.

AH! Thanks for the explanation--now that reminded I knew about the
implant but had forgotten.

But they let you ride in a car, etc., don't they?

A car's alternator is quite a distance from the driver (inverse square
law, and all that). They're also quite well shielded because magnetic
leakage makes them less efficient. Lawn mower part come from the
cheapest Chinese supplier and who knows what's in there. He wouldn't
be concerned if I weren't dependent on the PM.

I'd think it not difficult to put some mu metal can material around it
that would be no issue with interference.

Possible, I suppose, but it would take quite a lot.

I knew there was some concern in early pacemakers; thought that had
mostly been solved by now other than the direct use of welding
equipment, etc., that is pretty good source.

Electric fields are no problem. I wear a bluetooh headset that goes
around my neck, with the business end sitting perhaps two inches from
it. They warned me about some higher end headsets (w/rare earth
magnets) that were strong enough to trip the diagnostic mode (MRI,
etc.) reed switch if they were place directly over it.

I (we all) should be on such a regimen of the exercise!

It's a lot of time that I can't spend doing something fun, like work
in the shop. I do watch a lot of Netflix and Prime while on the
treadmill though (2.5hrs every day). The more inane the better (which
they're really good at). ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 19:02:53 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 7/13/2019 8:52 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 07:58:34 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

[SNIP]
[...]

Sure. I was warned about that too but that's not the problem. I've
not had the problem. I'd like mine to be more sensitive but they're
quite conservative with the settings.

I asked the plumber when I had my last appointment if two hours on the
ZTR with average pulse rate above 115, but below 128 was the equivalent
of a good workout. Unfortunately, he said, "Nice try, but no!"

LOL! Worth a try.

Your mileage may vary but might be worth running it by your electrician.

He brought it up during my first appointment after the implant. SWMBO
was in the room so it's not a judgment that I can even appeal.

Welding is also a problem but I can't remember if it's AC or DC that's
a no-no. There are current limits, too, but my EP just said "no".
It's easier to remember and I'm not overly interested in it anyway.
The material is too expensive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Right. I'll buy the spare. I was thinking about making it a
six-wheeler. The palate it's on has four cross-members (feet) so I
figured one axle between each. Let 'em float so I can steer it.

What's your address? ;-)

Great! I'll see you at 1:00PM. ;-)

Getting gas now. See you soon!