Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stabilize bark

I have a nice walnut slab with significant bark and I want to maintain the bark in the finished piece. What can I use to stabilize it? Thinking of epoxy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 15:40:52 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

I have a nice walnut slab with significant bark
and I want to maintain the bark in the finished piece.
What can I use to stabilize it? Thinking of epoxy.

.... and then what ?

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have a nice walnut slab with significant bark and I want to maintain the bark in the finished piece. What can I use to stabilize it? Thinking of epoxy.

Woodturners often use CA glue to hold the bark on natural edged bowls.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 3:40:55 PM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:
I have a nice walnut slab with significant bark and I want to maintain the bark in the finished piece. What can I use to stabilize it? Thinking of epoxy.

I've heard of unpigmented PVA application (either thinned white glue, or the decoupage
'paint' that one sees in crafts shops). It's unclear how well epoxy penetrates,
I've not found it to be the best at holding wood together , though it's a popular filler.

The ultimate stabilization is 'atomic wood', where you vacuum impregnate with a monomer,
then X-ray the stuff into plasticizing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 3:40:55 PM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:
I have a nice walnut slab with significant bark and I want to maintain the bark in the finished piece

Just in case, you might consider a heat cycle applied to the slab; sometimes insects take up residence,
and won't leave unless conditions get too hot to handle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/19 9:02 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 3:40:55 PM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:
I have a nice walnut slab with significant bark and I want to maintain the bark in the finished piece. What can I use to stabilize it? Thinking of epoxy.

I've heard of unpigmented PVA application (either thinned white glue, or the decoupage
'paint' that one sees in crafts shops). It's unclear how well epoxy penetrates,
I've not found it to be the best at holding wood together , though it's a popular filler.

The ultimate stabilization is 'atomic wood', where you vacuum impregnate with a monomer,
then X-ray the stuff into plasticizing.

I use "cactus juice" for stabilizing wood. same idea with the vacuum,
but the curing occurs in a toaster oven at 200 deg F. Only problem is
the resin blisters a bit as it cures and cleaning this up on a bark
surface would take forever.

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 10:32:54 AM UTC-4, Brewster wrote:
[...]

Not to mention that getting the slab into a toaster oven could be problematic. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 5:40:55 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
I have a nice walnut slab with significant bark and I want to maintain the bark in the finished piece. What can I use to stabilize it? Thinking of epoxy.

What will be the finished product's application? If the finished product will not be abused or handled much, then you may not need a significant or rigorous attachment or add to the natural adhesion. You might only need a stay-in-place attachment.

Depending on how the lumber is dried or seasoned, the bark may lift naturally or it may stay in place, maintaining a fairly secure attachment. Is that "fairly secure attachment" secure enough for your finished product's continued function?

I've done several projects with bark left on the piece, without adding some dedicated adhesive. As long as it's naturally secure enough, then the addition of a finish, once dried and acting as a bit of glue, somewhat, helps further secure the bark onto the wood. As long as the product/project is not abused, when in use, then the bark will stay in place. Here's an example of just this scenario - hickory wood, live edge, bark in place, on this love seat rocker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Update - Scrolling right from the pic above, the next pic shows the edges are square. Yesterday, I rounded those edges (the pic above). Finish sanding of these edges is next. Both of these pics are dry fitted.... nothing is yet glued. The rounding of the edges were done with a flexible disk sander... 24 grit, then 36 grit, then 80 grit. Buffing around/along/onto the bark did not loosen the bark from the wood. So your scenario may depend on how your finished product will be used.

Similarly as with this rocker, the large walnut table (some years ago) has some bark remaining on some of the edges. That bark is still securely in place. It is naturally adhered fairly well and the addition of the finish, at least to a small extent, adds to that adhesiveness.

More rocker update: I got some of the backrest and seat slats cut out. Still need to pull the lumber and make the rockers. Hopefully I can start some gluing next week.

Sonny