Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Stabilize bark

On 6/15/19 9:02 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 3:40:55 PM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:
I have a nice walnut slab with significant bark and I want to maintain the bark in the finished piece. What can I use to stabilize it? Thinking of epoxy.

I've heard of unpigmented PVA application (either thinned white glue, or the decoupage
'paint' that one sees in crafts shops). It's unclear how well epoxy penetrates,
I've not found it to be the best at holding wood together , though it's a popular filler.

The ultimate stabilization is 'atomic wood', where you vacuum impregnate with a monomer,
then X-ray the stuff into plasticizing.

I use "cactus juice" for stabilizing wood. same idea with the vacuum,
but the curing occurs in a toaster oven at 200 deg F. Only problem is
the resin blisters a bit as it cures and cleaning this up on a bark
surface would take forever.

-BR