Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Closet Project

I have finally finalized my plans to revamp our master closet. As most
know the builder closets are typically close hanger rods cris crossing
every where and you end up not having as much space to hang clothes as
it looks when it is empty.

The new design will take advantage of the 9' tall ceilings in the closet
and will have more useful space to store whatever. Right now we have
about 30" of space above the top rod that my wife cannot reach.

The new design will place the top row of rods about 104" from the floor.
Yeah we cant reach that either but I am putting "Wardrobe Lifts in
place of the top rods. These pneumatic assisted bars will pivot up and
down to a rod height approximately 70" from the floor and will be
situated above the lower "regular wooden rods". All of this will be on
top of two banks of drawers in cabinets that stand 24" tall.

In the very back will be 2 identical linen/stuff cabinets with clothes
hampers build into the bottom half of each. These hampers will double
the size of the hamper that we use now.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And this is where I am at on the first left side bank of drawers cabinet.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

This will all be painted so I am using poplar for the hard wood face
frames and trim and MDO for the sheet goods. All panels are let into
the the front and back face frame dado/grooves and the bottom panel is
let into the side vertical panels with dados. And the center vertical
panels are let into the bottom panel. Face frames joints are reinforced
with Domino floating tenons. No screws until I get to the drawer slides
and when I attach the backs to the back face frame. Hopefully I'll
assemble the smaller right side bottom drawer cabinet tomorrow.
Posted to rec.woodworking

A picture is worth a thousand words.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And this is where I am at on the first left side bank of drawers cabinet.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

Oops.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

Framing a new closet door [email protected] Home Repair 1 March 31st 17 07:00 PM
Kids- closet project cshenk Home Repair 0 February 7th 08 07:24 AM
Closet Organization - Use Your Space Wisely. Closet Organization Video trav Home Repair 0 October 13th 07 04:52 PM
New wall in old closet cas Home Repair 0 June 10th 07 04:16 PM
Hiding duct work in new closet User Example Home Repair 1 August 23rd 05 06:13 PM