Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beaver 36" Gap Bed Lathe WL-3400

Sadly, the T rest base on my favourite old tool just broke. Iti is cast so
repair is unlikely. Still have the 1940's manual, part number is 3404-1 and
they sold it for $1.80 back then. Anyone have an idea on where I could source
a replacement? or modify something new?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...00-819843-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 10:14:04 PM UTC-5, Greg Browning wrote:
Sadly, the T rest base on my favourite old tool just broke. Iti is cast so
repair is unlikely. Still have the 1940's manual, part number is 3404-1 and
they sold it for $1.80 back then. Anyone have an idea on where I could source
a replacement? or modify something new?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...00-819843-.htm

Suggest you look up/locate an "old school" welder. That is, if the repair is suited for a weld type solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IkpAsNDbOo
Good luck
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Browning" wrote in message ...

Sadly, the T rest base on my favourite old tool just broke. Iti is cast so
repair is unlikely. Still have the 1940's manual, part number is 3404-1 and
they sold it for $1.80 back then. Anyone have an idea on where I could
source
a replacement? or modify something new?

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...00-819843-.htm

If its cast iron it is probably weldable with stainless 308L wire or Nickle
rod. There are even some who claim good results with 7018 DC rod, but often
brazing is just fine for this type of part. You might want to ask a local
welding shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2019 12:34 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Greg Browning"Â* wrote in message ...

Sadly, the T rest base on my favourite old tool just broke. Iti is cast so
repair is unlikely.Â* Still have the 1940's manual, part number is 3404-1
and
they sold it for $1.80 back then.Â* Anyone have an idea on where I could
source
a replacement?Â* or modify something new?

You know. I guess I should have asked "Cast what?" If its cast
aluminum it can be welded. If its Zamac it can probably be welded. If
its just zinc vomit well it might be tig weldable with pewter filler,
but it won't last.