Mr Fixit eh

Default Rockwell Beaver Lathe

Is anyone familiar with the Rockwell Beaver 3-in. gap lathe, series
3100, made in Guelph, Ontario? I'm interested to know when it would
have been sold. I'm assuming shortly after 1953 when Rockwell acquired
the Guelph plant from Callander Foundry & Mfg. Co. because this was the
first series of lathe sold by Rockwell Beaver.

Also, any ideas on any modifications I should make to create a good
woodturning machine?

Steve

Steve A

Check out the Old Woodworking Machines group at http://www.owwm.com/ and
http://discussion.oldwwmachines.com/. They have a copy of the owners
manual, and lots of knowledge. Tell them the serial number and they can
get close to the manufacture date.
Unisaw A-100

Steve A wrote:
Check out the Old Woodworking Machines group at http://www.owwm.com/ and
http://discussion.oldwwmachines.com/. They have a copy of the owners
manual, and lots of knowledge.

For the most part this is true but not in all cases. If
ever there was a manual to be had on line it would be on the
OWWM.

Tell them the serial number and they can get close to the manufacture date.

This is not true. The machines built at the Guelph plant
had a different serial numbering scheme than the machines
built at the Milwaukee and Tupelo plants. Same goes for
Delta/Rockwell machines built at the old Walker-Turner plant
in Plainfield, the radial arm saws built at the Norwalk, OH
plant and any machines built at the Crescent plant in
Leetonia, OH. No serial numbering lists have been found for
those plants.

It is possible to eye ball the vintage based on some good
pictures and a good description though. Probably the best
that can be done is to get within a ten year span. It ain't
great but it's better than cutting the machine apart and
counting the rings.

Unisaw A-100
Mr Fixit eh

I was wrong, the SIN plate says "3400 series". The name plate says
"Rockwell International Company of Canada Ltd" in small print at the
top, then "Beaver Power Tools" in big letters in the middle, with
Guelph, Canada at the bottom.

This one belongs to someone else, but it is my lathe.
http://www.workshopbuzz.com/class/detail.php?siteid=730

Steve

FS: Rockwell 25-42x 10"X36 Metal Lathe - Near Pittsburgh, PA [email protected] Metalworking 1 March 8th 05 02:23 PM
Rockwell Beaver 10" 46410 Lathe - Newbie Shawn Wilson Woodturning 4 April 4th 04 11:19 PM
rockwell lathe KD Metalworking 1 September 11th 03 05:39 AM
FS: Rockwell Delta 11"x36" Lathe Gunner Metalworking 2 July 5th 03 12:21 AM