Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Image Posting Site

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 14:27:03 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:

On 11/27/2018 12:53 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:
In rec.woodworking, Bill wrote:
wrote:
... binary newsgroups were dropped from my usenet server
- and many many other servers - about 10 - 15 years ago.
Paying for a newsfeed that provides binaries - just to post or view
a few pics per year ? - not ,
And that's precisely why you have the choices that there are.
I send Wikipedia some money around this time every year because I
appreciate what they do. If you choose not to show any support
for things, don't be surprised when they disappear.

I pay for a Usenet feed, but it does not include a meaningful selection
of binary newsgroups. So don't think that it's only Usenet freeloaders
who have that problem.

I use usenet-news.net, there are others that are similar.
It sells access not by the month, but by blocks of download
data that don't expire. The bigger block you buy, the cheaper
it gets. You can buy
2GB for $2
5GB for $3
10GB for $5
20GB for $8
30GB for $10
50GB for $12
100GB for $15
200GB for $22
500GB for $52
1024 GB for $92.
It has most if not all binary newsgroups, with postings
going back to 2008. If you are an infrequent downloader,
even $5 for 10GB of data might last you for years.

Thanks for the tip. I thought of signing up with a similar service
a few years ago, but the online payment procedure was a bit
scary - as is this one -
Q: Which payment options do you offer to buy quota Blocks?
A: The current options are to buy blocks using a Credit Card, (via the
Stripe.com system) or via Amazon

... huh ?
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

A: The current options are to buy blocks using a Credit Card, (via the
Stripe.com system) or via Amazon

... huh ?
John T.

I use giganews for usenet, but they have expanded services. I have an
old account for $2.95 a month for 1 gig of downloads.

But 10.95 or 21.95 for lifetime?
https://www.giganews.com/why.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

A: The current options are to buy blocks using a Credit Card, (via the
Stripe.com system) or via Amazon

I've done both, right now I use Amazon. There's nothing
scary about it. And as you're surely aware, Amazon has
a good buyer protection program - which I'm not worried
about here. I get a lot of old music there, like Billie
Holiday, the Big Bands, old Bing tunes, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

A: The current options are to buy blocks using a Credit Card, (via the
Stripe.com system) or via Amazon

... huh ?
John T.

I use giganews for usenet, but they have expanded services. I have an
old account for $2.95 a month for 1 gig of downloads.

But 10.95 or 21.95 for lifetime?
https://www.giganews.com/why.html

As I said, there are a good number of low-cost usenet servers.
I looked at your giganews website, it says, "3+ years of binary
retention". I'm getting 10 years of binary archives (going back
to 2008) on usenet-news. Have you had actual experience with
giganews binary retention?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

A: The current options are to buy blocks using a Credit Card, (via the
Stripe.com system) or via Amazon

... huh ?
John T.

I use giganews for usenet, but they have expanded services. I have an
old account for $2.95 a month for 1 gig of downloads.

But 10.95 or 21.95 for lifetime?
https://www.giganews.com/why.html

As I said, there are a good number of low-cost usenet servers.
I looked at your giganews website, it says, "3+ years of binary
retention". I'm getting 10 years of binary archives (going back
to 2008) on usenet-news. Have you had actual experience with
giganews binary retention?

Yes but not any more, to much malware and virii.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Just Wondering writes:

I'm getting 10 years of binary archives (going back
to 2008) on usenet-news.

That got my attention, but going to usenet-news.com tells me they
don't do usenet anymore. What site are you dealing with?

Have you had actual experience with
giganews binary retention?

I have. They are pretty solid to the 3-year they advertise, but
hit and miss before that. Several years back, they announced they
were expanding the retention. I expected things from them foreward
would show up. Maybe some did. The "old DVD" groups seem to be
mostly just 3 years.

--
Drew Lawson | I'd like to find your inner child
| and kick its little ass
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2018 2:59 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
Just Wondering writes:

I'm getting 10 years of binary archives (going back
to 2008) on usenet-news.

That got my attention, but going to usenet-news.com tells me they
don't do usenet anymore. What site are you dealing with?

Have you had actual experience with
giganews binary retention?

I have. They are pretty solid to the 3-year they advertise, but
hit and miss before that. Several years back, they announced they
were expanding the retention. I expected things from them foreward
would show up. Maybe some did. The "old DVD" groups seem to be
mostly just 3 years.

Take a look at Astraweb.com I switched to them a year or three back and
have just now renewed and purchased a 25GB block of downloads for $10
that is non-expiring. Excellent servers in multiple countries.
Retention as good as anything that I've seen elsewhere. All binary groups.

Not a shill, no "commission" to me for the referral. Just sharing an
excellent feed for dirt cheap.

HUH? jew pedophile Baruch 'Barry' Zachary Shein posting as FAKE NEMO replies to himself posting as HQ replying to himself posting as FAKE NEMO! For VHY you do this jew pedo BARUCH? SHAY a knish for the Pisshboig pogrom 'shurvivorsh'®™ INSHTEAD!! jew pedophile Ron Jacobson (jew pedophile Baruch 'Barry' Shein's jew aliash)[_2_] Home Repair 5 November 1st 18 04:50 AM
Best Image Markup Software for PCBs? KenO Electronics Repair 23 November 27th 12 08:40 PM
see the most hot new site of 2007see the most hot new site of 2007 mote UK diy 1 March 21st 07 02:40 PM
Top posting is best Bob Woodworking 58 March 11th 05 07:57 AM
The Best Woodworking Web Site? Unisaw A100 Woodworking 18 March 6th 05 11:09 PM