Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for Child / Toddler safe finishes

Looking for some "toddler safe" finishes for some wood working. By
"toddler safe" I don't mean that this is safe for a kid to apply, but
is not going to be toxic if a kid sticks the finished piece in his
mouth. Or chews on it, or any of the things which small children do
to explore their world.
E.G., lead based paint is obviously straight off.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 9:36:06 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Looking for some "toddler safe" finishes for some wood working. By
"toddler safe" I don't mean that this is safe for a kid to apply, but
is not going to be toxic if a kid sticks the finished piece in his
mouth. Or chews on it, or any of the things which small children do
to explore their world.
E.G., lead based paint is obviously straight off.

tschus
pyotr

Shellac and bees wax.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 May 2018 21:42:07 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 9:36:06 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Looking for some "toddler safe" finishes for some wood working. By
"toddler safe" I don't mean that this is safe for a kid to apply, but
is not going to be toxic if a kid sticks the finished piece in his
mouth. Or chews on it, or any of the things which small children do
to explore their world.
E.G., lead based paint is obviously straight off.

tschus
pyotr

Shellac and bees wax.

Perhaps use a food-safe finish that is OK for
wooden bowls and wooden serving spoons ..
walnut oil
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,190,42942
tung oil
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,190,42942

read the "Tech" and "Inst" links that are embedded in the web
page near the prices.

You don't state what you're finishing .. I've made folk toys and just
left them unfinished. The very minor wear & tear makes them
look natural and well loved.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news

Looking for some "toddler safe" finishes for some wood working. By
"toddler safe" I don't mean that this is safe for a kid to apply, but
is not going to be toxic if a kid sticks the finished piece in his
mouth. Or chews on it, or any of the things which small children do
to explore their world.
E.G., lead based paint is obviously straight off.

shellac
linseed oil when dry
probably lacquer
bees wax

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 10:36:06 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Looking for some "toddler safe" finishes for some wood working. By
"toddler safe" I don't mean that this is safe for a kid to apply, but
is not going to be toxic if a kid sticks the finished piece in his
mouth. Or chews on it, or any of the things which small children do
to explore their world.
E.G., lead based paint is obviously straight off.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.

Well O.K. Here's My 2 cents.

Beeswax and Mineral oil

Here's a good article about Your Question and in it is directions to make it.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2006...-safe-finishes

rick B.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Looking for some "toddler safe" finishes for some wood working. By
"toddler safe" I don't mean that this is safe for a kid to apply, but
is not going to be toxic if a kid sticks the finished piece in his
mouth. Or chews on it, or any of the things which small children do
to explore their world.
E.G., lead based paint is obviously straight off.

Can't buy lead paint these days. Any finish today, once cured, is safe.
Shellac is best as it is used as a pharmaceutical coating.

Posted to rec.woodworking

on Thu, 31 May 2018 03:54:33 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
wrote:

[...]

Ummm - I don't know yet. She Who Makes These Plans hasn't given
me a complete list. I'm not sure it these are "playing peices", peg
people markers or something else.
But I thought I ought to plan ahead.

I've made folk toys and just
left them unfinished. The very minor wear & tear makes them
look natural and well loved.
John T.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick the antique guy on Thu, 31 May 2018
05:17:28 -0700 (PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
[...]

Thanks.

That seems to answer a number of questions I didn't know I had.

rick B.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote in
:

Ummm - I don't know yet. She Who Makes These Plans hasn't given
me a complete list. I'm not sure it these are "playing peices", peg
people markers or something else.
But I thought I ought to plan ahead.

If you turn the piece, you don't need a finish at all. Just sand your way
through the grits until you get to 2000. This works best on pretty woods,
I think the top I did this on was Sapele.

It's a bit time consuming for other pieces, even with one of Tom "Leon"
Sawyer's Festool Makes Sanding Fun's sanders. Tell us, Leon... When was
the last time you sanded Aunt Polly's fence? :-)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote in
news
Looking for some "toddler safe" finishes for some wood working. By
"toddler safe" I don't mean that this is safe for a kid to apply, but
is not going to be toxic if a kid sticks the finished piece in his
mouth. Or chews on it, or any of the things which small children do
to explore their world.
E.G., lead based paint is obviously straight off.

So is "boiled" linseed oil, which in most cases has had various metals or metal oxides
added to it to speed drying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linsee...ed_linseed_oil

These additives may or may not be child-safe. Google "boiled linseed oil MSDS" and
you'll see what I mean.

The classic kid-safe finishes are shellac (frequently used to coat pharmaceuticals and
candy) and beeswax -- both are totally non-toxic. But pretty much anything else, as long as it
has dried, is non-toxic also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 May 2018 19:38:12 wrote:

Looking for some "toddler safe" finishes for some wood

the bug derived finishes come to mind

polys also are good but read the fine print as some require two weeks
for full cure