Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Guitars and Wood Working integrated.

Was double verifying Nut replacement on the neck for a Fender strat.

One old codger who has been a luthier of years mentioned that he used
a dab of Shellac on the neck instead of Glue, especially the instant
setting Synthetic stuff which I hate doing as it is so permanent and
it strips wood out of the groove for the nut, depending on the amount
used.

I thought. WOW. what a great idea and easy to "undo" or repair.

Then I thought about good old horse glue, even easier on the wood,
etc, than shellac, or so it would seem to me.

Has anyone here used either? With bone or synthetics?

I just replaced the nut and the two hold downs for strings 1-4 with
Tusq XL with integrated lube and WOW!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 May 2018 18:49:05 -0700, OFWW
wrote:

Was double verifying Nut replacement on the neck for a Fender strat.
One old codger who has been a luthier of years mentioned that he used
a dab of Shellac on the neck instead of Glue, especially the instant
setting Synthetic stuff which I hate doing as it is so permanent and
it strips wood out of the groove for the nut, depending on the amount
used.
I thought. WOW. what a great idea and easy to "undo" or repair.
Then I thought about good old horse glue, even easier on the wood,
etc, than shellac, or so it would seem to me.
Has anyone here used either? With bone or synthetics?
I just replaced the nut and the two hold downs for strings 1-4 with
Tusq XL with integrated lube and WOW!

I like to use a little snot-from-the-oven-door ..
it falls somewhere between CA and shellac
on the scale of adhesives.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 9:49:08 PM UTC-4, OFWW wrote:
Was double verifying Nut replacement on the neck for a Fender strat.

One old codger who has been a luthier of years mentioned that he used
a dab of Shellac on the neck instead of Glue, especially the instant
setting Synthetic stuff which I hate doing as it is so permanent and
it strips wood out of the groove for the nut, depending on the amount
used.

I thought. WOW. what a great idea and easy to "undo" or repair.

Then I thought about good old horse glue, even easier on the wood,
etc, than shellac, or so it would seem to me.

Has anyone here used either? With bone or synthetics?

I just replaced the nut and the two hold downs for strings 1-4 with
Tusq XL with integrated lube and WOW!

Hi OFWW
I Never used shellac for that but it sounds good and reasonable as long as 2 mating surfaces are flat. I use a small dab ot white Elmers , the cheap stuff.

I also make a lot of replacement nuts and saddles from Cow Bone.
Belt sand Some Bome scraps
Save the bone dust in a small tin below your belt sander.
Its handy for slot repairs when they are too deep.
Mix it with epoxy and fill the slot. Let cure then re-cut the slot
to a higher measurement . to avoid a buzz at fret #1
rick B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 May 2018 07:08:22 -0700 (PDT), Rick the antique guy
wrote:

[...]

Corona Dope works if you have it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Never would have thought of that, interesting. How's the wear and the
tone affected.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

No tone dampening that I can detect .
The wear is a pretty good and relative to the epoxy strength. Some folks use superglue but I think it's too brittle.
It really is a Band Aid repair,
until You feel it's neccessary replace the nut.
rick B