Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Guitars and Wood Working integrated.

On Thu, 24 May 2018 18:49:05 -0700, OFWW
wrote:

Was double verifying Nut replacement on the neck for a Fender strat.
One old codger who has been a luthier of years mentioned that he used
a dab of Shellac on the neck instead of Glue, especially the instant
setting Synthetic stuff which I hate doing as it is so permanent and
it strips wood out of the groove for the nut, depending on the amount
used.
I thought. WOW. what a great idea and easy to "undo" or repair.
Then I thought about good old horse glue, even easier on the wood,
etc, than shellac, or so it would seem to me.
Has anyone here used either? With bone or synthetics?
I just replaced the nut and the two hold downs for strings 1-4 with
Tusq XL with integrated lube and WOW!

I like to use a little snot-from-the-oven-door ..
it falls somewhere between CA and shellac
on the scale of adhesives.
John T.